Looking for views on those new non-NFA shotguns

DD123

So we know Mossburg came out with one, and now Remington copied the idea and came out with their own.

I think the only realistic difference between the two is that the Mossburg holds one more shell. Controls are as you'd expect from both.

My question is what purpose would these serve for you?

Would they be a novelty toy to shoot at the range? A serious tool for HD?

The only thing I could come up with is it would be good for HD. You can navigate corners a lot better with it, but with the ability to shoulder an AR pistol, that seems to me to be the far better choice for HD than one of these shotguns. I'm not really sure what other purpose it would serve. I'm quite certain that shooting full power Sluggers won't be too enjoyable lol.

I kind of want one, but unless it has a specific role to play in my toolbox, I'd rather not waste the money or space in my space, especially considering I have no space left. An AR pistol would be far more useful to me, but I'm interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about these shotguns.

I see it as a novelty that serves very little function aside from spite toward gun laws. Which doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Fun is good. Sticking it to the man is fine. Just not very practical or useful in my mind. I'd prefer my pistol or my SBR for most anything that a non-NFA shotgun would be used for.

I believe novelty and spite is also the driving force behind arm braces as well for 99% of owners outside of Illinois. Inside Illinois though they also have the added utility of making AR pistols more functional for people in ban areas like Chicago.

I think trying to shoot trap with a non-NFA shotgun would be fun as heck though. So yeah, just novelty.

I cant see much use for them other than novelty. While I admit it would be kind of cool to own what is basically a non NFA SBS; I dont really know what I would use if for other than playing around at the range. And I would imagine your hand would get beat up pretty bad if you fired more than a few rounds out of it in one session. The angle of the grip on them doesnt look like it would be too friendly when the gun recoils.

As far as having a short shotgun for home defense, I already covered that for myself. I tuned up a saiga12 and strapped it into one of the kushnapup stocks. That gives me a 12ga that I can shoulder, has sights/red dot that I can use, and is only 28inches overall. This setup is definitely a novelty shotgun in most peoples eyes, but I like it.

And I do agree that if someone wants something for home defense that is maneuverable a pistol or SBR is going to be the best choice.

I'm happy to see I'm not alone in my views on them.

While it would be a cool toy to have, I just don't see myself dedicating room for one.

My collection habits have changed over the last couple of years.

Now I sort of decide what to buy along these lines:

Can I carry it? Nope.

Can I shoot it in competition? Nope

Do I already have something that covers its practical use? Yep.

Not interested.

I'm more apt to pick up a pistol and have 100% confidence in using it if I hear my door get kicked in. I'd be even more confident with an SBR or AR pistol, but I have my eye on something else: https://stiguns.com/guns/dvc-3-gun/

Maybe down the road if I get bored, I'll grab one for fun. But not before I buy that gun I want lol.

One of these plus a Sig brace can be fun. Cheaper than that Fostech shotgun too.

Wouldn't that change the overall length and make this thing an AOW or something? I imagine it would stop being a non-NFA firearm.

I assumed these were classified as firearms already. Now if you reduce OAL length it might become an AoW.

The OAL is 26.5" on the shockwave.

I believe an AoW is any firearm under 26" that is not a pistol? Adding OAL to it shouldn't be an issue.

For example if you change the factory pistol grip to an aftermarket one, and the after market grip reduces the OAL to under 26"

you have just made an AoW to my knowledge. (A standard AR style grip or one with a more vertical angle vs the mares leg style grip)

maxresdefault.jpg

This is considered a firearm.

https://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=143

So going shorter would make it an AoW, anything that increases the OAL keeps it a firearm.

For some reason the ATF thinks anything below 26" is concealable.

Found a picture by the way:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/VomK9k.jpg

One of those PDW adjustable braces would be sweet if it held up to 12 gauge.

One of these plus a Sig brace can be fun. Cheaper than that Fostech shotgun too.

Wouldn't that change the overall length and make this thing an AOW or something? I imagine it would stop being a non-NFA firearm.

One of the videos I watched said that you can't change the stubby grip out otherwise it changes the classification. So basically if you buy it, you have to be married to the grip it comes with.

One of the videos I watched said that you can't change the stubby grip out otherwise it changes the classification. So basically if you buy it, you have to be married to the grip it comes with.

Ive read the same thing on another board.

I got to shoot the Mossberg Shockwave. FUN. With the 1 3/4 shells there is a plug behind the mag tube to help feed those shells. Even with 2 3/4 slugs were manageable. Less felt recoil than Mossberg 500 with a stock. It was FUN.

• 2 weeks later...

FUN. With the 1 3/4 shells there is a plug behind the mag tube to help feed those shells. Even with 2 3/4 slugs were manageable. Less felt recoil than Mossberg 500 with a stock. It was FUN.

I'll have to look into getting one of those plugs.

OPSol Mini-Clip

http://www.opsolmini-clip.com/

So we know Mossburg came out with one, and now Remington copied the idea and came out with their own.

I think the only realistic difference between the two is that the Mossburg holds one more shell. Controls are as you'd expect from both.

My question is what purpose would these serve for you?

Would they be a novelty toy to shoot at the range? A serious tool for HD?

The only thing I could come up with is it would be good for HD. You can navigate corners a lot better with it, but with the ability to shoulder an AR pistol, that seems to me to be the far better choice for HD than one of these shotguns. I'm not really sure what other purpose it would serve. I'm quite certain that shooting full power Sluggers won't be too enjoyable lol.

I kind of want one, but unless it has a specific role to play in my toolbox, I'd rather not waste the money or space in my space, especially considering I have no space left. An AR pistol would be far more useful to me, but I'm interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about these shotguns.

When Open Carry is allowed in Illinois you can sling them on your back and walk into Starbucks sporting the Urban-Tacti-Cool look for for the soccer moms.

I'd love one if the Shockwaves, I'm just leery of our wonderful state legislating them out of existence.

Worst case scenario you can remove the barrel, add an 18.5" barrel, and legaly add a stock. I bet a short barrel would sell pretty fast on an online EE somewhere.

That is legal to do right? I thought you can't go from a rifle to pistol, or a shotgun to a firearm. But going from a firearm to a shotgun shouldn't be an issue since you aren't making it any shorter/concealable.

Is there any law against adding a pistol grip to a standard shotgun?

I don't believe so, as long as the barrel is 18", and the OAL is still 26".

Now a PGO shotgun has it's own bonuses. IIRC from what I read a PGO shotgun can be converted to a firearm with a 14.5" barrel as long as it's never had a stock.

These laws are so annoying.

Archived