Surprise from The Liberal Gun Club

quackersmacker

Many months ago I joined the Liberal Gun Club just to keep tabs on what they were saying and what they are up to. I think I first heard about it somewhere on this forum, though I can't find it again.

After the Florida school shooting, they put out the piece linked below. Amazingly, it is very thoughtful, and contains NO mention or reference to gun control, AR15s, or "assault weapons" in any way.

Rather, it's a very thoughtful piece on what people can actually do in real life to help prevent these kinds of tragedies.

I encourage everyone to read this. (Don't worry, I'm still to Attila's immediate right.....!)

https://www.theliberalgunclub.com/2018/02/15/after-parkland-what-can-we-do-today/

It's very well written. I think the left and right could both use a healthy dose of community, specifically civic nationalism.

Unfortunately the city beat whatever ideals I had about community outta me and everyone keeps to themselves in the suburbs I moved to. It could be like this everywhere these days, but it wasn't growing up.

In our everlasting quest to not offend we've created the most offensive society ever. And I don't know that there's anyway to go back. Everyone just keeps to themselves and wants to literally and figuratively disarm whatever they perceive as threatening their bubble.

Nicely written and well thought out.

The solution is unselfishness. They didn't say it, but that's what it is indirectly pointing to. But directly pointing to government only as the solution to all problems (which is the left's solution to every problem).

OK, we got all those government officials who now are tasked with more work (assuming they get tasked) - where are the additional funds to hire more people going to come from, if the government is not going to cut spending to cronies? Oh yeah, that means you and I get to pay more. Did anyone get a raise this year? Nope. More money to government.

Very well said. Unfortunately, I think after the latest tragedy and associated media blitz that more people who were on the fence about gun control became antis rather than jumping to the pro-side (but I've only seen biased media reports so it may not be so). I hope the 'let's do something... anything' attitude will fade in the coming days, but not all liberals are as level headed as Mr. Gardner. The General Assembly will undoubtedly be voting on several anti-gun bills in the next week or so, and I doubt that our current governor has the testicular fortitude to veto whatever nonsense passes.

Archived