Up or Down, Rifle sling

vezpa

Quick Question for you guys.

I want to know what is the proper way to sling a rifle over your shoulder when hiking or carrying the weapon. I've seen pics of people walking with the rifle slung over their shoulder and the barrel facing up and towards the sky and also down towards the ground. Is there a proper way or just whatever is most comfortable and works best with the weight of the gun?

Just curious.

http://tarpon.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/black-guy-gun__obama-visit-014.jpg?w=450

or

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-wlW5BxRhqg/THNGjmPhClI/AAAAAAAABE0/sHppdvGhmwM/s1600/US+Army+enlisted+man+in+field+uniform+w.+rifle+slung+over+his+shoulder.jpg

My personal preference is barrel down on a 3 point. My basic theory is; what goes up, must come down. In the event that a rifle I was carrying had a negligent discharge, and someone got hit by the bullet, I would rather it be myself than someone else. Additionally, it is more likely that the bullet will simply go 2-3' into the ground than anywhere else.

Our SOP was 3-point or single-point, front sling, muzzle down. Only time you saw a rear sling (of course muzzle down) was in the chow line, or I was performing my other job (medic).

Muzzle straight up with an unloaded rifle and one hand available to control the rifle.

Muzzle straight down with a loaded rifle when no threat is expected and you don't have at least one hand controlling the rifle at all times.

Muzzle down across the front of the body with a loaded rifle when there is potential for a threat and at least one hand is available at all times to control the rifle.

Muzzle down across the back of the body with an unloaded rifle during rain or when both arms are required for other purposes.

At least that's what I practiced while on active duty.

Sent from my Samsung GSII Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

Archived