Photo

New Veteranís ID Card

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

The VA just announced that veterans who served in the military honorably and separated with less than 20 years of service may now obtain a national Veterans Identification Card (VIC). This card can be used in place of the DD214 when demonstrating proof of service to vendors and others who require it. The card was mandated via legislation in 2015 and has just now been made available. Veterans who separated with an honorable or a general (under honorable conditions) qualify for the card.

Read more at this link:

https://www.va.gov/o...ase.cfm?id=3979

In the context of Illinois concealed carry licensing, instructors should be aware this could become an alternative way for veterans seeking the 8-hour training credit to provide proof of service.

As an aside, keep in mind that both honorable and general (under honorable conditions) qualify for the training credit. See my post #23 in this thread:

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=63291
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#2 blom

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

Thanks kwc. I just tried to apply and they are overloaded right now. I was able to leave an e-mail address and they will get back to me when things settle down.

#3 Stevepk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

I work on Scott AFB. Wonder if I could go to the MPF and get one.
MSGT - USAF Retired - Command & Control Tech. (Command Post)

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.
Ronald Reagan

#4 cola490

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Thanks kwc. I just tried to apply and they are overloaded right now. I was able to leave an e-mail address and they will get back to me when things settle down.

Same here.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 AFA

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

Me too

#6 tdiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

Leave it to the VA to underestimate the amount of traffic to it's website for this card. They should have learned from the first Obamacare enrollment. I've had one for a few years now. Mine says "Service connected".

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve

- is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

- Author Unknown

Posted Image

#7 Huski92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I will be applying soon. Maybe after the rush. And don’t forget. You can have veteran status put on your Illinois drivers license too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 Quiet Observer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

You already have a DD FORM 2 (RETIRED), your retired ID.  The veteran card would just be redundant.

#9 kwc

• 3,265 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

You already have a DD FORM 2 (RETIRED), your retired ID.  The veteran card would just be redundant.

Correct--as I understand it, the VIC is intended for those who served but did not continue until retirement.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#10 OldMarineVet

• 2,083 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I will be applying soon. Maybe after the rush. And don’t forget. You can have veteran status put on your Illinois drivers license too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Did that. Does anybody know if the Veteran Indicator on the IL Drivers License is accepted by CCL instructors now? Thanks

#11 Nod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

Don't think I'll need that card, I did however apply for burial at the Abraham Lincoln Cemetery. I think I'll be using that before needing to show my DD214 again.

#12 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,908 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

I have a VA card that says Service Connected from the VA Hospital, which works for this purpose, and the Veteran designation on my driver's license, but I've found that having "veterans cards" to pull of any variety is a fantastic benefit. It's gotten me out of jams as well as gotten me preferential treatment on numerous occasions.

If you served, then you deserve.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#13 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

Tried to sign up on line. Kept getting the message that my information could not be found. I called the number they gave me; which turned out to be the wrong number of course. After being on hold over over an hour, I finally got to talk to someone. He told me my info was fine but the site was over loaded. I asked why not just say that instead of my info is missing. He told me to wait a week or two and try again. If that is what they are telling everyone, then it will be just as crammed gagged then. SO as usual you got all these benefits for your service, you just can't use them! AND they had 3 years to set this all up??????  No wonder veterans are in such lousy shape.

#14 ChicagoRonin70

• 2,908 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

They gave me the option of entering my e-mail address and having them contact me via that means when the sight was fixed.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#15 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

Agreed. Did that. Does anybody know if the Veteran Indicator on the IL Drivers License is accepted by CCL instructors now? Thanks

OMV, my instructor (civilian) did not accept it last year. I sat for the first day as it was better than working on the honey do this and hurry list.

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#16 OldMarineVet

• 2,083 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

OMV, my instructor (civilian) did not accept it last year. I sat for the first day as it was better than working on the honey do this and hurry list.

Terrible to hear but good to know. I wonder why. Can't be any clearer or easier for Veterans. Hopefully other instructors do. Sounds like you had to pay for it the extra day on top of the insult.  Thanks.

#17 FSA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

Instructors should accept the DL with Veteran on it, you have to get your DD214 stamped certified by Veterans services to get the designations.  

Rick Winninger
Firearms Safety Academy
1211-B Deer Street
Yorkville, IL 60560
630-364-8850
mailto:rick@firearmssafetyacademy.net
www.firearmssafetyacademy.net

https://www.facebook...afetyacademyinc

CCWSafe Info

Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Licensed Instructor

Utah Conceal Carry Instructor
FFL Dealer
IDFPR # 263.000080 Certified 40 Hour Firearms Instructor since 2002
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Defensive Pistol
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program
Distinguished Expert Handgun

#18 OldMarineVet

• 2,083 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

Instructors should accept the DL with Veteran on it, you have to get your DD214 stamped certified by Veterans services to get the designations.

Great to hear that from a "Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Licensed Instructor." Yes, went through that process. Thank you for your response. Assuming other Concealed Carry Instructors agree with you (except the goof that WitchDoctor encountered.)

#19 aka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

So can someone post a picture of DL with the veteran's stamp on it? Of course please redact all personal information.

I am an instructor and I have never seen one of these. All the veterans I have through my classes have come in with a DD-214.

If anyone gets the VIC please post a picture of it too.

Thanks. 

Thank you

AKA

--------------------------------
IL CCW License Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Member
Glock Armorer

#20 OldMarineVet

• 2,083 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

So can someone post a picture of DL with the veteran's stamp on it? Of course please redact all personal information.

I am an instructor and I have never seen one of these. All the veterans I have through my classes have come in with a DD-214.

Thanks. 

The Illinois Drivers License has a small replicate of the picture in the bottom right hand corner. It says VETERAN (capitalized) just under that small picture.

#21 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,291 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:26 PM

Thanks.

The Illinois Drivers License has a small replicate of the picture in the bottom right hand corner. It says VETERAN (capitalized) just under that small picture.
This. The word veteran is awful small. To post a picture and Redac you would have nothing left to post.

Edited by spec5, 10 December 2017 - 03:27 PM.

NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry
Pershing Nuclear Missile 56th Field Artillery Brigade Veteran
1/41 Field Artillary Germany

#22 brianj - now in Kansas

Political refugee from the People's Republic of IL

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

I've read a few stories about this, and according to what I read, the problem was that this ended out kind of being Obamacare pt. 2.  Instead of building it in house, the VA contracted it out to the lowest bidder who was the lowest bidder for a reason.

I'm still not convinced I want to actually let a copy of my DD-214 out there.  According to the stories, the concept is that you send in a copy of your DD-214, and let them scan it in.  Then, they send you an ID card saying you're a veteran with basic info, along with a QR code on the card that will let anyone with a cell phone and a PIN code you give them actually view a copy of your DD-214.

I'm... not sure I like that.  I'd really want to review the security on their database.

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#23 ChicagoRonin70

• 2,908 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Thanks. 

This is what mine looks like, with redactions. I've underlined the "VETERAN" notation in green, on the bottom left of the license below the main photo:

lvuAewk.jpg

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#24 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,291 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

Thanks.

This is what mine looks like, with redactions. I've underlined the "VETERAN" notation in green, on the bottom left of the license below the main photo:

lvuAewk.jpg
Mine does not look like that at all. Small picture lower right and printed in little letters VETERAN under picture

Edited by spec5, 11 December 2017 - 02:22 PM.

NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry

#25 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,291 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

Thanks.

lvuAewk.jpg
Mine does not look like that at all. Small picture lower right and printed in little letters VETERAN under picture

The license in the picture above is not the current license. The license has changed.
NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry

#26 OldMarineVet

• 2,083 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

Yes, it's older than my DL also.

Edited by OldMarineVet, 11 December 2017 - 05:39 PM.

#27 DomG

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

I've read a few stories about this, and according to what I read, the problem was that this ended out kind of being Obamacare pt. 2.  Instead of building it in house, the VA contracted it out to the lowest bidder who was the lowest bidder for a reason.

I'm still not convinced I want to actually let a copy of my DD-214 out there.  According to the stories, the concept is that you send in a copy of your DD-214, and let them scan it in.  Then, they send you an ID card saying you're a veteran with basic info, along with a QR code on the card that will let anyone with a cell phone and a PIN code you give them actually view a copy of your DD-214.

I'm... not sure I like that.  I'd really want to review the security on their database.

Bri

I got an early retirement in 1999, and until last year my retired ID had my social security number on it. I finally went in and got it replaced. No more SSAN.

I still have many sets of orders (deployments, awards, etc.) in my files with many names listed and everybody's SSAN is on them. Talk about bad COMSEC.
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges." - Tacitus"
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." -Tacitus

NRA Life Member
ISRA
USCCA
IL CCL
AZ CWP
VFW Life Member
USAF Retired (So I guess that makes me a Life Member)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users