Iowa Senate passes "Shall Issue" carry bill

GarandFan

The vote was 44-4 in favor. This issue has been greatly discussed, in part because of the split among gun owners. Others favor a "constitutional carry" bill ...

Please ... let's not make this a "bash the NRA" thread. Sometimes it takes more than 1 step to get to the destination.

Text bolded by me. This article is mostly about 1 of the 4 Senators who voted against it ... and their long argument that there is no right to KBA outside of militia service!

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/03/27/gun-proposal-favored-by-nra-passes-iowa-senate/

Gun proposal, favored by NRA, passes Iowa Senate

by Jennifer Jacobs • jejacobs@dmreg.com • March 27, 2010

Sheriffs would no longer have nearly unlimited discretion to deny an Iowan a permit to carry a concealed weapon under a bill the Iowa Senate approved today.

Most public safety organizations oppose the legislation, but the National Rifle Association registered in favor of the bill, Senate File 2379.

The Senate voted 44-4. All four “no” votes were from Democrats.

Iowa would go from a “may issue” state to a “shall issue” state, where sheriffs could deny a permit for only a limited number of reasons.

The bill now goes to the Iowa House for more discussion.

Opposed to the bill are the Iowa State Police Association, Iowa Police Executive Forum, State Police Officers Council, Iowa State Sheriffs and Deputies Association and others. The Iowa Coalition Against Domestic Violence also is registered against it.

One senator who voted “no,” Sen. Pam Jochum, D-Dubuque, explained the bill before the Senate had nothing to do with hunters or sportsmen. And, she pointed out, the Second Amendment in the U.S. Constitution concerns “a well-regulated militia.” [GarandFan comment - talk about living in the past, and grasping at pre-Heller reality]

The amendment says: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Jochum said: “In 1939 the court was petitioned to uphold a law requiring registration under the National Firearms Act. In a nutshell, the Court upheld the law.

“After reciting the original provisions of the Constitution dealing with the militia, the court observed that ‘with obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted with that end in view,’” she said.

“The significance of the militia, the court continued, was that it was composed of ‘civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion.’ It was up to this force that the states could rely for defense and securing of the laws, on a force that ‘comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense,’ who, ‘when called for service….were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.’”

Jochum continued, “Therefore, ‘in absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length’ at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation of efficiency of a well-regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.”

“In short,” she said, “the ruling held that the “second amendment guarantees no right to keep and bear a firearm that does not have ’some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.’”

Other Democrats who voted no included Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City; Sen. Robert Dvorsky, D-Coralville; and Sen. Jack Hatch, D-Des Moines.

HIGHLIGHTS OF TODAY’S WEAPONS PERMITS BILL

The bill the Iowa Senate approved 44-4 today would set more guidelines for sheriffs to follow when decided whether to issue a permit to carry a gun in public:

REASONS FOR DENIAL: Alcohol addiction; probable cause, based on documentation of past actions, that a person is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently or in such a manner as would endanger the person’s self or others; misdemeanor assault convictions within the prior three years; federal and state disqualifiers.

AGE LIMITS: Professional permits, for Iowans who need to carry a gun for their job, could not be issued to anyone under 18. And no one under 21 could get a nonprofessional permit.

FEE: The $10 for a new permit would go up to $50, and the $5 renewal fee would go to $25.

EXPIRATION: Permits, good for one year now, would be valid for five years.

TRAINING: Training would be required for a new permit, and in order to renew a permit. However, an applicant would have the option of qualifying on a firing range rather than repeating training.

PUBLIC RECORDS: Gun permit records are public now and would remain that way, even though some gun advocates argued these should be confidential.

HANDGUNS: Sheriffs could no longer restrict a permit for a concealed weapon to a handgun only. Nor could sheriffs impose other restrictions.

MAKE AND MODEL: Sheriffs could not require an applicant to identify the make, model and serial number of his or her gun on the permit. This issue is not addressed in current law.

RECOGNITION: Out-of-state residents with a valid permit in their home state to carry a concealed weapon in Iowa.

APPEALS: Currently, Iowans must fight a sheriff’s permit denial in district court. Under the proposal, they would start their appeal with an administrative law judge.

BASICS OF THE GUN PERMIT DEBATE

The debate in the Iowa Legislature isn’t over permits to keep a gun in your home. It’s over a permit that goes a step further — to carry a gun as you mingle with the public.

PERMIT TO BUY A GUN: Once a sheriff issues an Iowan a permit to acquire a pistol or revolver, you can show it to a gun dealer and make a purchase. How you store it or keep it is up to you. You’re authorized to have your handgun on your own property. You can also take it with you while hunting or engaged in target practice.

PERMIT TO CARRY A GUN: If Iowans want to carry any loaded firearm “within the limits of any city,” they need a special permit, according to Section 724.4 of the Iowa Code. Such a permit is also required for carrying a concealed dangerous weapon that’s not a firearm, such as a stun gun or long-blade knife. With a permit to carry, you can carry a gun in a visible holster or concealed under clothing except in certain restricted areas such as elementary and secondary schools.

From Sean McClanahan of Iowa Carry

There is nothing further to report this evening.

The House did not call a caucus to discuss our bill today. They have told us that, in spite of this past Friday being the "last day" of the session, it will be Monday afternoon at the earliest before our bill gets a vote called. Could even be Tuesday.

So we wait.

We'll regroup on Monday and see what the day brings.

No worries. The House leadership says the bill will still get a vote, and it will pass. The final vote in the House Public Safety Committe was 17-3, and that bodes well for us.

Sean

So what was the deal with this? Was there just no opposition ... other than the opposition made by gun owners who wanted more?

What gives?

Are there any lessons to be learned for Illinois? Or does Chicago make Illinois a different animal entirely?

It will be great to break that stranglehold on this issue. A fantastic day that will be.

RECOGNITION: Out-of-state residents with a valid permit in their home state to carry a concealed weapon in Iowa.

By my understanding this would prevent those who have out of state permits from carrying in Iowa. Am I reading this right? If it us I would be slightly dissapointed being only 30 minutes from Iowa and going there often.

By my understanding this would prevent those who have out of state permits from carrying in Iowa. Am I reading this right? If it us I would be slightly dissapointed being only 30 minutes from Iowa and going there often.

Yes, I'm disappointed too. Yet "shall issue" concealed carry in Iowa is good news for law-abiding Illinois citizens as well. 44-4 in favor in Iowa legislature!

So what was the deal with this? Was there just no opposition ... other than the opposition made by gun owners who wanted more?

What gives?

Are there any lessons to be learned for Illinois? Or does Chicago make Illinois a different animal entirely?

It will be great to break that stranglehold on this issue. A fantastic day that will be.

Lesson to be learned- Go for as much as you can get, in this instance "constitutional carry" then they are willing to give you shall issue LTC.

I wonder if their LTC is still for one year. Seems like a pain renewing every year. Maybe they went for lifetime LTC and got 5 or 10 years. Under shall issue that annual renewal had to be bad especially if the sheriff changed, an non-carry friendly sheriff might decide not to renew any LTC when he got in. Will it be easier to get a non-resident LTC now?

You aren't reading it wrong ... the paper is telling it wrong.

Go to the bill itself ...

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/linc/SF2379_Reprinted.pdf

Here is the relevant part on Recognition:

Sec. 10. NEW SECTION. 724.11A Recognition.

15 A valid permit or license issued by another state to any

16 nonresident of this state shall be considered to be a valid

17 permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this

18 chapter...

In other words, if this language becomes law, IA will be like IN and KY (among others) and will recognize any out of state license.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammo. That's cool I have a daughter her boyfriend and two nephews already carrying there. Now the other 4 family members be able to do sol Prior to this had to have a reason, which was two physical assualts and a banker carrying large amounts of cash and bonds.

Sunday update from Sean McClanahan of Iowa Carry:

Iowa Carry Update

March 28, 2010

Taking a Breath on Sunday

I wanted to take the "off day" (meaning, not being at the Capitol) to answer a few questions. I have been getting many e-mails from

folks, asking a lot of the same questions. So to give my fingers a rest, and to make it easier for our readers to understand what is

happening, here are some of the most often asked questions about the bill that passed in the Senate yesterday.

This legislation, when passed, will not go into effect until 1/1/11. Until that time, Iowa will operate under the current system of

permit issuance and renewal.

There will be a provision that will require you to renew or requalify every five years with the new permit system. If you believe

that is a bad thing, consider that right now, any Sheriff could, if desired, force you to qualify or train every year under the

current system. In Polk County, considered one of the "gold standards" in Iowa, we are required to qualify at the time of original

issuance, as well as at the third and fifth renewal. This will create a statewide standard that there will be no retraining or

requalifying required until renewal. And, since very few Sheriffs require it now, we have five years to prove that it's a meaningless

requirement and get it off the books.

For those people who do have to qualify or train in 2010 to get an intial permit or to renew a permit (again, like me in Polk County

for my fifth renewal), I was told by Ross Loder of the DPS that any training received in 2010 will count toward renewal in 2011. The

intent of the law is to receive training or qualifying within the past 12 months prior to renewal. For those that do not do any

training or qualifying in 2010, you'll have to get some to renew in 2011. For those coming to the Iowa Carry General Membership

Meeting on June 19, we'll have as many training and qualifying courses as it takes to make sure that all who attend will have their

requirements met for 2011. Since that only covers up to 6/19/11, we'll look at holding other training events later in the year.

When you go to renew in 10/11, you will get a five-year permit for $25. If you get a new permit in 2011, you will get a five-year

permit for $50.

This bill will not allow for any "reciprocity." The decision for any state to honor an Iowa permit is left totally at the discretion

of each individual state. However, Iowa will "recognize" the permits of all 48 states that currently issue a permit. This, along

with our standardized training, will ultimately bring more states to honor the Iowa permit. Iowa will become one of the few states

that gets it right for out of state permits. We will be treating them like driver's licenses. Get one from any state, and it's good

here in Iowa. Our neighbor to the south, Missouri, does the same thing. This change will remove the Iowa Non-Resident

Non-Professional Permit to Carry Weapons. Since Iowa will be recognizing the permits of all other states, there is no reason to

issue an Iowa Non-Res Non-Pro permit. Furthermore, it is important to note that anyone living in Iowa MUST obtain an Iowa PCW. Iowa

residents will not be able to carry in Iowa on any non-resident permit issued by any other state.

Our permits will be invalid while under the influence of alcohol, which is defined in 321J.2 as BAC .08. It deosn't mean you lose

your permit, it means that if you are exceeding .08, you best not be depending on your Iowa PCW outside of the home. We were opposed

to codifying this, but it sets a hard standard for the time being until it can be tweaked in a future session.

All federal disqualifiers were removed and replaced with one short sentence. This will mean that if the federal disqualifiers go

away, they do not exist in Iowa code either. Huge victory here.

We removed any attempt to destroy local pre-emption. Huge victory here too, but I can tell you that some law-makers have not given up

that fight, and we will need to be extremely vigilant for that in future sessions.

We have a rock-solid appeals process. No, we didn't like the initial standard being probable cause, and we are going to work to

change that in future sessions. But the appeals process is an excellent one, and the Sheriff Runde's of the state are going to have

to play fair or explain to an ALJ why an applicant was denied - and the burden of proof is on the Sheriff, not the applicant.

And of course, we become Shall Issue, not May Issue.

We have to get this through the House of Representatives, and then off to the Governor to sign. Both have been said to be a "done

deal." I won't clasify it as that until I see Culver's signature on the bill. When that happens, though, Iowa will go from a "may

issue system that almost works" to one of THE best systems in the country. Is it 100% perfect? Of course not. But that's why we'll

have future sessions to work on that. If this passes, we'll look at tweaks that bring us closer to full liberty and freedom, as our

founding fathers would have expected. We'll also need to strongly look at getting the RKBA added to the Iowa Constitution.

I want to publicly thank Chris Rager and Scott Pope, who have been tirelessly working on this legislation at the Capitol. Without

their knowledge and passion, we would not be where we are today. I want to also thank John Reed, our Board Member who volunteered to

be at the Capitol every day he possibly could, supporting Chris & Scott and keeping Iowa Carry represented. Most organizations have

paid lobbyists to represent them in Des Moines. We do not. It is the tireless efforts of our volunteers that have gotten us to

where we are now.

The finish line is in sight for 2010, but we are by no means done.

Please take a moment to visit the Iowa Carry Legislation Action Center to encourage your legislators to visit our June 19th meeting,

and to thank Senators Gronstal and Kreiman for their support of SF-2379.

Press Coverage

There have been a number of article written in the past 24 hours about the bill's passage in the Senate. I would like to highlight

two of them.

Iowa Senate OKs bill expanding gun rights

The concealed-weapons law would change so that anyone who legally qualifies would be able to get a permit. Currently, a county sheriff

has some discretion.

BY COURTNEY BLANCHARD TH STAFF WRITER

DES MOINES -- After years of lobbying, gun-rights activists are closer than ever to changing the state's concealed-weapons law.

The Iowa Senate approved a bill Saturday that would strip a county sheriff's discretion in the permit process and require local law

enforcement agencies to hand out permits to anyone who legally qualifies. The measure passed, 44 to 4. The bill now goes to the House,

with the legislative session nearing an end, maybe as soon as Monday.

"The purpose of this legislation is to advance public safety and to advance our Constitutional rights," said Senate Judiciary Chair

Keith Kreiman, D-Bloomfield.

Kreiman said the measure would address concerns on both sides of the issue and create a streamlined issuance policy and across-

the-board gun-safety training.

Dubuque County Sheriff Ken Runde, an outspoken critic of efforts to change the law to a "shall issue" system, opposed the measure.

Sheriffs now have the right to deny a conceal-and-carry permit based on their discretion. Runde argues it's an important step to

reject potentially dangerous individuals, like domestic abusers and drug dealers who haven't been convicted yet. [Psst - Ken, here's

an update for you. You'll still get to do that if you can prove your side of the story. --SM]

Runde said the proposal also would make the prospect of carrying a gun more casual. [As it was meant to be. --SM]

"Anyone grocery shopping could bring a gun with them," Runde said. "(Lawmakers) ought to leave it the way it is. They don't put enough

in (this bill) for us to keep from giving permits to those who shouldn't have one." [GASP! Guns in the grocery stores in Dubuque?

Like we have in Des Moines? Wow, that could be bad. Dubuque will have blood clean-ups in aisle 3 like we have every day here in

Des Moines. As for the not putting enough in the bill to prevent those who shouldn't have a permit from getting one, I have to wonder

if he's actually read the bill and understand it, or if he's just being an automoton and spouting the party line. --SM]

Jamie Smith, a Dubuque resident and Iowa Carry board member, said sheriffs like Runde create an uneven system, where a resident of one

county can be turned down for a permit even when they'd receive one in a neighboring county. Iowa Carry advocates to change the law

to a "shall issue" system. [And Sheriff's like Runde are the reason we're even doing this. In all honesty, had the Sheriffs done the

right thing and repsected the spirit of the law all along, we'd not even be here today. Bad Sheriffs are the reason that this is

being pursued. --SM]

"The current law allows for regional discrimination. You've got sheriffs who can decide policy based on a whim or their own personal

feelings," Smith said.

The Senate Judiciary committee met Friday and approved the bill after Democratic leadership said several weeks ago that they would

consider taking up the issue. A bill on the topic had been introduced for years, though none had made it to the floor for debate.

[because none had ever been pushed through with the assistance and approval of leadership. --SM]

Sen. David Hartsuch, R- Bettendorf, criticized the lack of public notice and comment on the bill.

"One of the problems we have here is the secrecy surrounding the development of this bill," he said. [sorry Senator, there was no

secrecy. As Senator Kreiman said in the Senate debate, all sides had their concerns presented, and every Senator and Representative

heard from both sides of the issue. Both sides, and all groups, had the ability to make their voices heard. This is a totally bogus

statement. --SM]

Hartsuch advocated a Vermont-style concealed-weapon law, which would allow anyone who can legally purchase a gun to carry a concealed

gun without a permit. Hartsuch, who voted for the bill, said the proposal didn't go far enough to protect the Second Amendment rights

of Iowans. [And in the true spirit of the 2A, he's right. But it wasn't in the cards this year. Once we go from may-issue to

shall-issue and prove that there won't be rivers of blood in the streets, and further educate citizens, law makers, and law

enforcement alike, we'll be able to achieve that goal. --SM]

Smith said he'd like to see gun rights expand even further, but this bill would be an important first step. He's cautioning members to

refrain from celebrating yet. If cleared by the Iowa House, he's not sure whether Gov. Chet Culver would sign it.

Several state agencies, like the Department of Public Safety, remain undecided on the bill. Some lawmakers raised concerns that

sheriffs would no longer have the discretion to turn down potentially dangerous individuals, like those who suffer from post-traumatic

stress disorder. Guns also would be allowed in most public places, including taverns. [This makes me laugh. They are ALREADY

allowed in most public places, like "taverns." --SM]

Four Democrats, including Sen. Pam Jochum, D-Dubuque, voted against the bill. [sen. Jochum is absoloutely no friend of the 2A. She

would be quite happy to see local pre-emption removed. Based on her debate from the floor, she wants public places to be off-limits

to permit holders. "Carrying in the state parks near kids" was apparently upsetting to her. Think of the kids! --SM]

"I'm really encouraged by what the Senate did. It's not as partisan an issue as some would like to make it out to be," Smith said.

[Just what we've been saying all along. We don't care if there's a D, R, TP, C, I, EIEIO, or whatever after a legislator's name.

This is a matter of public safety and rights, not of politics. --SM]

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=277771

Concealed-carry law passes Iowa Senate

James Q. Lynch | Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:14 pm

DES MOINES — Iowa would become a “shall issue” state and sheriffs would lose much of their discretion in denying concealed weapons

permits under legislation approved by the Senate Saturday.

Senate File 2379, adopted 44-4, would create uniform standards in all 99 counties for issuing permits to carry a concealed weapon in

public. Under current law, sheriffs can issue or deny permits. There standards vary with some issuing permits to nearly everyone who

applies and some denying nearly all applications. Nearly 35,000 Iowans have concealed carry permits, according to lawmakers.

Floor manager Sen. Keith Kreiman, D-Bloomfield, said the bill advances “the cause of the Second Amendment, the cause of public safety.”

He defended the permit process, saying the Second Amendment right to bear arms carries responsibilities. People who enjoy hunting and

other shooting sports “understand the personal responsibilities inherent in exercising Second Amendment rights.”

“Public safety is rarely jeopardized by those who legally carry and acquire weapons,” Kreiman said. “It will be even more rarely

jeopardized with the requirement that all permit holders receive training.” [i thank Senator Kreiman for his support of our

legislation. However, we should be careful about putting training requirements on what is a God given right. To further illustrate

that point, nobody forces anyone at the QC Times to get training before exercising their 1A rights, and as evidenced by "The War of

the Worlds," irresponsible use of the press can lead to panic. --SM]

The bill is one of four “must-do” bills on the House agenda, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, D-Des Moines, said.

Rep. Clel Baudler, R-Greenfield, who has been working on the issue for 12 years, called standardization of 99 sets of rules a

“fairness issue.”

“This strikes a good balance between fairness, public safety and the Constitution,” he said.

House leaders say they expect to have more than enough votes to approve the measure. Some liberal Democrats reportedly have threatened

to vote against final budget measures if the “shall issue” bill is approved. [And one of the primary reasons that this is dragging

on to Monday or Tuesday. --SM]

The bill had the backing of the NRA, Gun Owners of America, Izaak Walton League and Iowa Carry Inc. The Iowa Police Executive Forum,

League of Women Voters, Iowa Gun Owners, Teamsters Local 238, State Police Officers Council, Iowa State Sheriffs’ and Deputies’

Association and Iowa Association of Chiefs of Police and Peace Officers all opposed the measure. The Iowa Attorney General and

Department of Public Safety were undecided. [Take a good look at this list. Note who filed in support of the bill and who filed as

opposed to the bill, and let that help you make future decisions. --SM]

Under the bill, Iowans who need to carry a gun for their job could get a permit starting at 18. Otherwise, applicants would have to be

21 to get a nonprofessional permit. Permits could be denied for alcohol addiction or probable cause based on documentation of past

actions that an applicant might use a weapon in a way to endanger himself, others or the public safety. Anyone convicted of

misdemeanor assault within the prior three years could be denied a permit. Several other federal and state disqualifiers apply.

The permit fee would increase from $10 to $50 for five years with a $25 renewal fee. Although training would be required to obtain a

permit, permit holders could qualify on a firing range to renew their permits.

That wasn’t often enough for Sen. Steve Sodders, D-State Center, a deputy sheriff. He wanted to require annual training, the same as

is required of law enforcement. [but in the end, Sen. Sodders voted for the bill. He probably had an enlightened moment, realizing

that we are NOT the same as law enforcement. --SM]

SF 2379 also allows residents of other states with valid permits to carry concealed weapons in Iowa.

A person denied a permit by a sheriff could appeal through an administrative law process and district court.

http://tinyurl.com/yz6y5hb ---

I hope that Monday or Tuesday I will be able to give you good news of the second part of our fight with a succeswsful vote in the

House. Stay tuned for updates.

Sean

This list, and the contents herein, are the property of Iowa Carry, Inc. The content of this list may be reproduced at any time,

provided Iowa Carry is properly listed as the source.

Be sure to visit our website! http://www.iowcarry.org

Monday update from Sean:

I've been informed that there will be a vote on SF-2379 in the House this afternoon. I don't know when, but it could be as early as right after lunch - or it could be as late as early evening.

So, this is the "y'all come down" e-mail. If anyone's in the area and wants to come to the Capitol, feel free to do so. We'll be there.

Sean

Thanks for the updates. This is all very exciting.

This momentum in Iowa can only help the cause in Illinois. It gets harder and harder to deny people freedoms that they see others enjoying (particularly when those others are just across the river)!

You know ... the only reason this is happening is that the Joyce Foundation cut off funding to Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence. :whistle:

http://coldhardcashner.blogspot.com/2009/07/iowa-gun-ban-group-folds.html

What gives?

Lesson to be learned- Go for as much as you can get, in this instance "constitutional carry" then they are willing to give you shall issue LTC.

I wonder if their LTC is still for one year. Seems like a pain renewing every year. Maybe they went for lifetime LTC and got 5 or 10 years. Under shall issue that annual renewal had to be bad especially if the sheriff changed, an non-carry friendly sheriff might decide not to renew any LTC when he got in. Will it be easier to get a non-resident LTC now?

First let me introduce myself. I'm a current permit holder from Scott County, Iowa. I'm also an NRA member and a supporting member of IowaCarry, and I have a significant interest in helping y'all with your reform since I spend a lot of time on your side of the river.

To address a couple of y'all's questions: yes, we faced serious opposition in the House. The first time we introduced our bill the sub-committee leader killed it with a bunch of worthless amendments. I was resigned to having lost the issue again this year, but NRA and IowaCarry folks were working behind the scenes. The Senate and House leadership both reintroduced our bill prior to the legislative "funnel." Iowa Gun Owners was our other agent of opposition, as y'all have suspected, because they think our bill is too much of a compromise. We would all love to see Alaska Carry in Iowa, but IGO is utterly ignorant of how policy is actually made. To take their push for constitutional carry as a lesson learned would be an error. IGO has (regrettably) marginalized themselves as an advocacy group with all but a select handful of legislators. In short, the NRA and IowaCarry were able to successfully lobby for the bill that passed in spite of IGO's slander of both groups. I believe we've laid the groundwork necessary to further refine weapons laws in Iowa for many years to come. That working relationship with the legislature was hard-won, and I think the NRA and IowaCarry are due a lot of credit for pulling it off.

The new period for PTC will be five years (our original language), but we will have to requalify prior to renewal (a compromise that got the bill passed). Some sheriffs were already doing this annually, so it'll be a break for folks in those counties. And of course it'll be a huge boon to folks whose sheriffs weren't issuing at all. I have no knowledge of how this will affect non-res permits, but the new law allows our attorney general to make recognition agreements with other states, which is something Iowa had not done in the past. My hope is that this provision convinces more states to honor my Iowa PTC as well.

Looking forward to a House vote in favor this afternoon or tomorrow. Governor Culver has said he'll sign it if it makes it to his desk.

The House is amending the Senate bill. We were expecting an amendment to correct minor editing errors in the text, but it looks like we're going to see a few curveballs, too. The amendment currently being deliberated (Mascher) grants leeway to the sheriffs to impose more restrictive qualifications "if deemed necessary" (by whom and to what standard is not addressed). It's poorly written and should be voted down in short order.

Edit to add: As I was submitting this post the House voted the Mascher amendment down 7-64.

The Senate bill as amended by H8653 (text correction) is now facing an up or down vote in the House.

Congratulations Iowa!

Fantastic. While Iowans are celebrating this victory for it's immediate implications on their freedom ... the rest of us are celebrating what it means for gun rights and right to defense in general.

Thanks to all of you in Iowa for making that happen!

It's nice to have a governor already promising to sign the legislation.

Is the effective date still 1 Jan 2011?

The "Formula for Disaster" article from the Des Moines Register states the House-amended bill has already been cleared by the Senate and is on it's way to the Governor.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/03/29/new-gun-permit-law-formula-for-disaster/

Archived