Photo

Missouri Could Drop Concealed Carry Age Limit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnyt101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

This was the first time I can recall the antis hitting the slippery slope arguement so hard. Arent they usually the ones calling us parinoid for useing the same arguement when it comes to losing firearm freedom?

STL Today

#2 Silver Guardian

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

I didn't realize they were so screwed up. 23, that's just sad.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." – Thomas Paine

#3 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

This was the first time I can recall the antis hitting the slippery slope arguement so hard. Arent they usually the ones calling us parinoid for useing the same arguement when it comes to losing firearm freedom?
STL Today

No ...

I am sure they would never have said that ... to do so would indicate intellectual bankruptcy. Anyone with a functioning brain and some elementary understanding of physics, politics, and history knows that the "slippery slope" is real and is ALWAYS a consideration ... always on the table.

Over the years, I have seen the gun lobby effectively thwart efforts to pass many sensible gun laws by arguing that even modest gun control would lead down the path to a complete ban on gun ownership. It is the classic "slippery slope" argument, and it has served the gun lobby well politically. The "slippery slope," however, is now gone. The U.S. Supreme Court took it off the table Thursday in their D.C. v. Heller opinion.
Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 27 June 2008
http://www.huffingto...b_b_109730.html

The “slippery slope” is key to the National Rifle Association’s strategy to make the gun issue a “cultural” or “wedge” issue politically. ... By erecting a constitutional barrier to a broad gun ban, the Heller ruling may have flattened the gun lobby’s “slippery slope,” making it harder for the NRA to use fear tactics to motivate gun owners ... in opposing sensible gun laws and the candidates who support those laws.
Dennis Henigan, Vice President and Legal Director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, 16 July 2008
http://www.cato-unbo...to-robert-levy/

The most disturbing part of [lowering age for carry from 23 to 21] is that the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby, once they pass a conceal-carry law, they come back year after year and start dismantling all the important criteria that they originally gave their blessing to. It's really a slippery slope with them. The concern is where does it stop, at what point? And what else are they going to dismantle?
Brian Malte, Director of state legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 6 March 2009
http://www.stltoday....8F?OpenDocument
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#4 johnyt101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

STL Today

No ...

I am sure they would never have said that ... to do so would indicate intellectual bankruptcy. Anyone with a functioning brain and some elementary understanding of physics, politics, and history knows that the "slippery slope" is real and is ALWAYS a consideration ... always on the table.

Over the years, I have seen the gun lobby effectively thwart efforts to pass many sensible gun laws by arguing that even modest gun control would lead down the path to a complete ban on gun ownership. It is the classic "slippery slope" argument, and it has served the gun lobby well politically. The "slippery slope," however, is now gone. The U.S. Supreme Court took it off the table Thursday in their D.C. v. Heller opinion.
Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 27 June 2008
http://www.huffingto...b_b_109730.html

The “slippery slope” is key to the National Rifle Association’s strategy to make the gun issue a “cultural” or “wedge” issue politically. ... By erecting a constitutional barrier to a broad gun ban, the Heller ruling may have flattened the gun lobby’s “slippery slope,” making it harder for the NRA to use fear tactics to motivate gun owners ... in opposing sensible gun laws and the candidates who support those laws.
Dennis Henigan, Vice President and Legal Director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, 16 July 2008
http://www.cato-unbo...to-robert-levy/

The most disturbing part of [lowering age for carry from 23 to 21] is that the National Rifle Association and the gun lobby, once they pass a conceal-carry law, they come back year after year and start dismantling all the important criteria that they originally gave their blessing to. It's really a slippery slope with them. The concern is where does it stop, at what point? And what else are they going to dismantle?
Brian Malte, Director of state legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, 6 March 2009
http://www.stltoday....8F?OpenDocument

Great Post!

#5 junglebob

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

Not nearly as screwed up as Illinois. I'm 60 and still not old enough to be trusted to carry in Illinois. Maybe before I'm 65 LTC will pass, this year would be great.

Age 23 isn't ideal, but then most car rental companies won't rent to you if you aren't 25. Of course this is not a state restriction.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#6 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

Really ... and you live in Illinois! I would gladly trade Illinois' gun laws for those if Missouri.

Seriously, "screwed up" is relative!
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#7 Silver Guardian

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

Really ... and you live in Illinois! I would gladly trade Illinois' gun laws for those if Missouri.

You would, but I'd still be out of luck for 2 more years.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." – Thomas Paine

#8 Ol'Coach

• Members
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

You would, but I'd still be out of luck for 2 more years.

If we don't keep scrappin', you'll be outa luck in IL a heckova lot longer than that! Let's hope 2 yrs from now, you aren't sayin', "Sure wish I lived in MO!
"He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount."
...Chinese proverb