Active duty military resident and FCCL training?

Tango7

Hey all - tried doing a search but nothing came up except the non-resident Myers v Schmitz suit.

I may have a father and son wanting training. Dad's going to need the full 16, but his son is active duty .Mil.

If he was retired/prior service and provided a DD214 then he'd get 8 hours credit; as an active member he doesn't have a DD214 (yet).

Anybody else have this situation? If so, how did you handle it? Any official guidance anywhere?

Thanks.

"Current and former military members qualify for an 8-hour credit toward the 16-hour training requirement. To obtain the credit, active duty members need to show proof of current service. An active duty military ID, letter from your commander, copy of orders (with your social security number redacted), or a Proof of Service letter obtained from the “Virtual MPF” will suffice. Please note that your DoD ID card number may be recorded, but an instructor cannot legally photocopy your ID. "

and

What information/documentation will current military personnel or veterans need to provide to receive credit for 8 hours of training?

Current military personnel will need to provide documentation identifying the holder as an active member of the US Armed Forces (CAC or DD Form 2 ID cards in green, blue, or red, for instance). Veterans will need to provide a copy of their DD-214 or NGB 22.

Thanks. I'm mobile and couldn't find my copy of the Act in my bazillion downloads that I've accrued.

The part about needing to see their military ID card was not in the Act itself. I believe what ScottFM pasted above was from the ISP FAQ page. This was also included (with photocopy examples) in the instructor packets that ISP mailed out to all instructors back in 2015. They have said they are sending out updated packets with recent changes, but I haven't seen one since the original.

I've had this scenario, just looked at the members ID or CAC card. Made no copies.

+1

We make a copy of DD-214's and redact all but the last four digits of the service number. For active duty personnel, we look at their current ID's and document the last four digits of their service number. It is illegal to make copies of their military ID card.

-- Frank

I've gotten copies of DD214's (redacted as Frank does), but never had an AD student.

Out of curiosity, was the active duty student a resident of Illinois or a resident of a substantially similar state (TX, AR, VA, MS)? Where is he stationed?

Make sure he has a driver's license from Illinois or one of the other 4 states. If he doesn't, he can't apply for a CCL.

• 2 weeks later...

What information/documentation will current military personnel or veterans need to provide to receive credit for 8 hours of training?

Current military personnel will need to provide documentation identifying the holder as an active member of the US Armed Forces (CAC or DD Form 2 ID cards in green, blue, or red, for instance). Veterans will need to provide a copy of their DD-214 or NGB 22.

Another way to show proof of active duty service is to have the member go to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Website and generate an Active Duty Status Report / Certificate.

I strongly advocate this approach as it omits sensitive information (SSN, full date of birth, etc.) and is retrieved directly from the DOD's manpower database.

For those of you who are retired or former military members, this should work for you as well if you want to test it out.

Archived