Gun control case study of Colorado laws and political backlash

InterestedBystander

full story at link

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/gun-control-case-study-mass-shooting-major-reforms-then-political-n991096

...The dramatic saga of what happened in Colorado when 2020 contender John Hickenlooper was governor holds lessons for Dems seeking the White House and the nation.

Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper bills himself as the experienced, consensus-building Democrat in the 2020 presidential race, one who has successfully tackled divisive issues like gun control.

But his signature achievement as governor a package of gun bills passed in 2013 was undertaken without any Republican support and exacted great political cost on state Democrats, several of whom were recalled or resigned under threat of being removed from office. Hickenlooper has since expressed serious misgivings about how he handled the issue, publicly pondering whether it was worth it and apologizing to one of the key players in the process although he still touts it on the campaign trail as one of his major accomplishments.

...snip...

Hickenlooper later expressed dismay at the divisions the bills caused, and even hinted that he may not have gone through with signing the legislation if he'd foreseen the consequences.

"If we'd known it was going to divide the state so intensely, I think we probably would've thought about it twice," he told a conference of the County Sheriffs of Colorado in June 2014.

He also apologized for not meeting with the group, which had opposed the bills, during the debate, and said he only signed the high-capacity magazine ban because a staffer had promised state lawmakers he would.

The saga offers clues on what could happen with a Democratic president who if given a Democratic-controlled House and Senate in 2020 might attempt federal gun control legislation using a similar model: By first trying to incorporate all interests and, when that fails, going it alone and risking the fallout.

Others, however, predicted national Democrats after massive failures on the issue following Sandy Hook would never stake so much political capital on gun control, especially when considering what happened in Colorado....

its all an act with Hickenlooper. He created this fake persona of a sensitive public servant deeply concerned about the welfare of others and open to serious consideration of all ideas from everywhere on the political spectrum.

But he's just an egotist with grandiose visions of becoming the President of the United Sates. He'd be a Republican tomorrow if that's what would get him in the White House.

Never underestimate the human inclination to assert "This time is different."

I remember reading an interview with one of the D legislators that lost her seat, and she was shocked, and a little bit angry that she was actually being held accountable by the voters.

On the one hand I'm shocked an elected official believes their wants and beliefs trumps their constituencies, as far as how they should vote. On the other hand, I am not surprised at all in today's day and age.

What are the chances the 2M+ FOID card holders would rise up and cause such concern with those in the ILGA? Probably small but I suppose one can always hope.

If a data base of those 2+ million were set up then stuff like e-mails to those ILGA folks would seem just a little larger than they do now.

I've spoken of getting our CCL holders together before and was shot down in burning flames by instructors who will not subject THEIR students to unwanted e-mails. Not even if given the opt out by say IC itself.

Been said somewhere else and I cant place my finger on it, but it goes something like this:

United We Stand - Divided We Fall

What are the chances the 2M+ FOID card holders would rise up and cause such concern with those in the ILGA? Probably small but I suppose one can always hope.

If a data base of those 2+ million were set up then stuff like e-mails to those ILGA folks would seem just a little larger than they do now.

I've spoken of getting our CCL holders together before and was shot down in burning flames by instructors who will not subject THEIR students to unwanted e-mails. Not even if given the opt out by say IC itself.

Been said somewhere else and I cant place my finger on it, but it goes something like this:

United We Stand - Divided We Fall

I would be happy to be in this database. 2M FOID holders could make a heckuva loud noise. Imagine 10% of us filing witness slips.

Archived