KBrek

My training partner and I took a basic defensive handgun course this past weekend at Triggerfarm located in Sheridan, Illinois.

The instructors are excellent and very informative. The class is outdoors and includes various exercises to increase your skills and accuracy. You will shoot 200+ rounds down range. You start on paper targets, move to steel targets, practice shooting through a 9 hole and eventually run through a course. The class is 3 hours and they welcome basic entry level shooters to veteran shooters.

Class is only $50. Bring your own ammunition. I highly recommend the course to anyone looking to hone in on their handgun skills.

Additional information and to sign up, visit http://www.triggerfarm.com

http://www.triggerfarm.com/calendar-of-events.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from TriggerFarms Basic Defensive Handgun course. I can't say enough about it. John and John run an informative, fun, and educational 3-hour course. 10 shooters max, so they can keep an eye on everyone and give individual suggestions as we work. They put the shooters at ease - taking away the intimidation factor for first timers... which was Me. First up a round of safety discussion which focused on the usual, but added safety notes particular to the drills we would be running. Shooting from 2 yds, then 5 yds. Then from the holster. Then double taps from the holster. Then point and shoot drills. Then shooting double taps while moving laterally. Reloading / tactical reloading. Nine Hole. Finishing with running a steel course.

In between each segment, we went to the back of the range under a tent that had a couple of fans running - it was Africa Hot! - talked shop and reloaded. They had water on ice if needed. We brought a cooler with Gatorade, water, and a few wet towels (frozen) on ice. We also bought some microfiber towels to keep in the back pocket to dry our hands in during shooting drills.

All in all a great day. I was able to work on things I'd only read about. The heart rate was up and it was good to shoot under a little stress, even if it was brought on by my own mind. :) We will be returning next month. For $50.00 and 200 rounds for three hours, I can work on those things I need to know and perform under pressure. For two hours of indoor range time, you're looking at the same amount of money to not work from the holster, to not do double taps.. .and on and on.

Thanks to TriggerFarms! Great afternoon with my Son and his friend.

OMV - i've practiced point and shoot with a Sirt pistol, but never live. I just drew and while looking at the target, fired five shots. quickly. I was amazed that all five shots were in a rectangle about 5" wide by 3" high. This was from 3 yds. So the pistol itself is just pushed straight out in front of me... flat level to the shoulders. That was, honestly, my best grouping of the day.

OMV - i've practiced point and shoot with a Sirt pistol, but never live. I just drew and while looking at the target, fired five shots. quickly. I was amazed that all five shots were in a rectangle about 5" wide by 3" high. This was from 3 yds. So the pistol itself is just pushed straight out in front of me... flat level to the shoulders. That was, honestly, my best grouping of the day.

Thanks, sounds like you were holding the pistol at the middle of your body. A good subconscious reference point. Yes, it is amazing how accurate you are. And the more people practice it, the more accurate they get.

Statistics (sample below) show 3/4 of contact in incidents are 10 feet or less (might be why they chose 9 feet.) First shot normally wins at that distance. So not using the sights provide advantage.

In point shooting I practice, the pistol stays in the middle of your body (I only use one hand from appendix holster, but that's a different story.) I turn my whole body to change directions keeping the pistol in front of my breastbone, bent wrist, level pistol, and bent knees. That way I am subconsciously shooting the pistol the same way (like a robot.)

Now I see why people are impressed with these instructors. Nice job on the point shooting.

Thanks for your reply

http://www.pointshooting.com/1aquals.htm

Thanks, sounds like you were holding the pistol at the middle of your body. A good subconscious reference point. Yes, it is amazing how accurate you are. And the more people practice it, the more accurate they get.

Statistics (sample below) show 3/4 of contact in incidents are 10 feet or less (might be why they chose 9 feet.) First shot normally wins at that distance. So not using the sights provide advantage.

In point shooting I practice, the pistol stays in the middle of your body (I only use one hand from appendix holster, but that's a different story.) I turn my whole body to change directions keeping the pistol in front of my breastbone, bent wrist, level pistol, and bent knees. That way I am subconsciously shooting the pistol the same way (like a robot.)

Now I see why people are impressed with these instructors. Nice job on the point shooting.

Thanks for your reply

http://www.pointshooting.com/1aquals.htm

I think, more than anything, it's just having the opportunity to apply what you've practiced in dry fire. Working with the SIRT pistol certainly ingraines the motion and mechanics, but wow, what a difference to put that training to the test. Feeling the gun buck from rapid fire is something I had not experienced before, due to the constraints of the indoor ranges. I loved having some stress on me, nerves, a little adrenaline going. I was the worst shooter there, no doubt (and I have no problem admitting that) but I made great strides as the day went on. Certainly, the biggest adjustment was trigger control while trying to fire quickly. I tended to 'slap' at the trigger when working from the holster (there was a young woman there that was as fast and smooth as could be out of the holster - very impressive) which caused low and low left shots. By the time we got to the nine-hole part of the day, I was hitting the steel nicely. My first run through the steel course (three small plates left, two small steel plates on a steel hostage silhouette, three larger steel plates and then a battle on the steel tree with your opponent) I only missed the small hostage plates. I hit everything else on the move. The steel tree was tough and I probably only his the small plates one out of every three shots.

I was talking to my Son about how when you first start, everything is like - One, draw gun from holster - two rotate gun to the target - three bring off hand up and press to target - four, sight - five fire. Very mechanical and deliberate. Add in reloading and then moving, shooting and reloading and by the end of the course it is automatic, fluid, smooth and your brain is running at the same speed of the movement.

It was eye-opening to say the least... and terrific fun... just so. Much. Fun! :)

Archived