TriggerFarm

GeekDad

Went through the Defensive Pistol class yesterday and gotta say it was awesome! I signed up based on a recommendation from others and found the class engaging, informitive, challenging and absolutely well worth the modest cost. A great class for anyone looking for the next step after getting their carry license. I will be taking this class a couple of times per year as it's a terrific way to keep your skills up without costing a fortune.

The weather made it even better, crisp but mostly sunny and almost no breeze. The most fun I've had in a *LONG* time! I can't wait to take it again after I get my new Shield broken in.

A big thank you to John, John and Alex. A BIG thumbs up!

• 1 month later...

Went to the December 3rd class.

After dropping all my junk in the heated tent I signed all the legal stuff. Then had one of the donuts that one of the other students was nice enough to bring.

We went over typical marksmanship exercises at the start. Draw, fire two, three, or four rounds on the targets then reholster.

Moving at your own pace and staying safe was emphasized.

I've done several classes prior at GAT Guns and with Rob Pincus but on Saturday I got to do something new. Shooting from retention.

That was a lot of fun. I was surprised how accurate one could be while shooting rapidly with one hand at closer ranges.

We shot some steel shooting while moving drills. One guy decided to shoot the chain. John's, the instructor, son fixed it right away though.

We played around in the dirt a bit with they call the Nine Hole. It's a barricade with nine holes. The idea is to shoot through all the holes with each hole getting closer to the ground. Took some athleticism to get through it.

At the end we finished with a minute or two long course made up of several steel plates, a hostage target, and a dueling tree.

Everyone got to go through it solo. Afterwards students competed against each other.

I missed the competition portion as I had to leave a little early.

Overall it was very beneficial to get to a more open range and stretch out.

Personally I feel myself advancing and becoming more confident. At one point John mentioned that it looked like I had done this before.

Great and productive way to spend the afternoon. Very cost effective as well.

Will definitley go back to one of their advanced courses that they are putting together.

I took their class in May, and I tell you, I had a great time there. I wanted to go again, but the same weekend they have their class is the same weekend I end up having to work (for free). Anyhow, they say to bring 200-rounds. I brought 300, and dang near used it up. The competition at the end kept going until everyone ran out of ammo or got tired. Me and one other guy were the last to shoot. Why bring home any ammo, right?

Anyhow, I totally recommend this class, and I really hope to take it again once or twice next year.

Dan

• 5 weeks later...

I was at the December class too. It was a real good experience and a GREAT VALUE. For some background, in addition to my CCL course, I have taken Excel Training Group's holster and handgun skill course, as well as a defensive shotgun course in Indiana.

I think that I shot close to 300 rounds (DEFINITELY over 250). They did a good job diagnosing some accuracy issues I was having when shooting under pressure. There is also a fair amount of shooting while moving toward the end, too. The Nine Hole shooting (shooting from strange positions) was SUPER valuable too because I have NEVER shot a handgun like that before (having trained exclusively in indoor ranges with my handgun.

I also used this as an opportunity to test out how some new defensive ammo I purchased will run through my gun (independence 9mm, JHP). At only $50 for 3 hours of good training and heavy shooting, I have decided that I am going to use this course as the standard way to test out ALL of my future defensive handguns and ammo that I will purchase. Why bother spending $20 to go to an indoor range to run a few mags through a potential carry gun, when for $30 more you can really put the gun (and yourself) through its paces and see how it performs. I will probably be at the next one they do this year (Sunday, March 26th) to test out my Taurus PT111 G2 (unless I buy something else new and shiny between now and then).

Additionally, they have an old police car on the range that they say will be used in their advanced course to practice shooting from inside vehicles. That should be fun!

• 2 months later...

i did my ccl class with these guys,i worked with john miller for many years and the other john lives across the street from me so it was an easy decision on who to go to for my class.they teach a good class and put no pressure on the students.anyone who is thinking about getting a ccl,these guys are worth the drive and at 200 bucks the price is fair&less than a lot of others.i am not sure but i think they knock a few bucks off for x military.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the defensive class last October and plan on taking it at least once a year as a refresher. I agree John and John are great instructors and the class is infomative and fun.

Looking forward to the advanced class.

I did sign up for the 6/24-25 FAST at The Site. Now that one has me excited.

• 5 months later...

I just finished my second basic defensive pistol class at TriggerFarm today. John and John did a great job again. Yes it was hot today but everyone there got through it. I estimate shooting at least 350 or so rounds during the 3hr class. We covered all the basic skills that you can not do at a conventional range. Holster draw and fire, rapid fire, shooting and moving, steel targets on the move and much more. For the price of this class you can't beat the training provided by John and John. Both are in complete control of the class without being overbearing or dominating. I would recommend this class to anyone who wants to build theirs skills. I plan on returning for the advance class later this year. If you are going to carry you need this training.

I just finished my second basic defensive pistol class at TriggerFarm today. John and John did a great job again. Yes it was hot today but everyone there got through it. I estimate shooting at least 350 or so rounds during the 3hr class. We covered all the basic skills that you can not do at a conventional range. Holster draw and fire, rapid fire, shooting and moving, steel targets on the move and much more. For the price of this class you can't beat the training provided by John and John. Both are in complete control of the class without being overbearing or dominating. I would recommend this class to anyone who wants to build theirs skills. I plan on returning for the advance class later this year. If you are going to carry you need this training.

+1 I was there for the 1:00 class today.

You'll like the Advanced Class. I took it in July. They have a little "shoot House" set up for a "clearing" exercise using airsoft Glocks and you'll get to do some live fire from the car.

Well worth the cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks interesting. The website suggests OWB holsters but then says IWB is okay if the person is proficient with it. This kind of attitude drives me crazy. Who carries OWB? Certainly not the majority of CCW holders. I carry a G43 AIWB and would love to find a place to train the way I actually carry. I'm not interested in training just for fun in a way I never intend to actually carry in the real world. Can anyone tell me if Triggerfarm allows G43 AIWB? I love the price for sure! If not, does anyone know of a place that does in Illinois? Thanks.

Looks interesting. The website suggests OWB holsters but then says IWB is okay if the person is proficient with it. This kind of attitude drives me crazy. Who carries OWB? Certainly not the majority of CCW holders. I carry a G43 AIWB and would love to find a place to train the way I actually carry. I'm not interested in training just for fun in a way I never intend to actually carry in the real world. Can anyone tell me if Triggerfarm allows G43 AIWB? I love the price for sure! If not, does anyone know of a place that does in Illinois? Thanks.

I carry OWB almost exclusively.

I carried IWB for about the first nine months we had concealed carry. After that I transitioned to OWB. OWB was much more comfortable and accessible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's just my experience that most CCW holders carry IWB. Of course I may be wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time). It just seems that IWB makes much more sense when concealment is the priority but to each their own. Anyone know of any local training that allows IWB and G43 size pistols?

I took a class with Fortress Defense out at ASC last year and they didn't mind my IWB G43. Mind you, this wasn't AIWB but 3:30 IWB...and it was a treatment of gunshot wounds class that was running practice of treatment techniques under hot zone conditions. We had to apply an IBD while the patient was providing cover fire...and shoot/move while wearing a tourniquet. Frank the instructor carries AIWB so he's probably ok with it. Look them up next spring for classes. I've done several with them.

Hey there Constable85, John here from TriggerFarm®

First off I just wanted to answer your question about using the AIWB holster for training and that would be a yes.

The key factor is practice and safety. The basic holster draw can be practiced at home, via dry fire however you choose to carry depending on the circumstance. The real challenges begin when you start shooting and moving or shooting empty and speed reloading. Come out and take the class you will enjoy it, Thanks John

• 1 month later...

Upcoming Basic Defensive Pistol Class Dec 8th @ 0900am- Noon. Limited slots open please call for availability,

Topics of instruction: Basic safety and shooting fundamentals,

Basic Holster draw and reloading, speed reloads and tactical reloads

Shooting and Moving, rapid reloading and target acquisition

Shooting from Cover and Concealment

Shoot the Challenge Coarse for fun or Competition.

All this for only $50.00 Call 815-955-6094 to reserve your slot, or email TriggerFarm@gmail.com visit us on the web at www.TriggerFarm.com or on Facebook

Archived