Single stack 9 mm verses double stack 9 mm handguns reliability factor

CHICAGO HANDGUN OWNER

I have several double stacks and single stacks and in my experience the decieding factor is the magazine used.

A cheap knockoff Glock mag might save you a few bucks but Glock factory mags run without a hiccup .

I've hd the same experience with 1911 single stacks. Quality magazines are worth the few extra bucks.

I have not had enough malfunctions with either to warrant any worry. I keep them marked and if a mag gives me problems more that a couple times, it is set a side for training only (or pitched if bad enough). The main difference between the single/double stacks are the thickness of the guns they go in. Do you want thinner so it hides better or give up a little concealment for more rounds? I mostly carry a Glock 23 which is a double stack 40 cal. Have no problem concealing it (just chose the right holster and clothes) but when I need to get even deeper concealment etc. I go with the single stack Glock 43 9mm. I think you will find as long as you go with a major brand weapon and use their magazines or a major brand magazine designed for that weapon, you won't have anything to worry about.

ALSO if you have smaller hands, the weapons with a single stack might be better fit for you

I've always heard that the way 9mm stacks in a single stack is problematic

Figure-2-Brad-Miller-9mm-Auto.jpg but they perfected single stack handguns during the 90s assault weapon ban. I've never heard of any issues outside of 9mm 1911's, which are sensitive to start with (especially with JHP's) due to having the feed ramp in the frame rather then the barrel like any modern handgun.

I've never heard of any other single stack being problematic, and I doubt your looking at a 9mm 1911 as a carry gun.

I, too, have seen no difference in reliability of my G-34 vs my SA-XDS9. Both go bang every time.

The greatest difference is the number of times it goes bang. My wife shoots an FNP-9, double stack with 16 in the mag. She tried a Sig 938 at the range to see if she might like it to carry. It went bang 5 times and then click! She just could not bring herself to limit the number of rounds that way.

I would say, pick whatever quality weapon fits what you expect it to do.

I have several double stacks and single stacks and in my experience the decieding factor is the magazine used.

A cheap knockoff Glock mag might save you a few bucks but Glock factory mags run without a hiccup .

I've hd the same experience with 1911 single stacks. Quality magazines are worth the few extra bucks.

Amen to that... especially, it seems, in the 1911. Only Chip McCormicks in mine. Nothing else works reliably.

What he said.

"Single stack" vs. "double stack" isn't the issue.

I've always heard that the way 9mm stacks in a single stack is problematic

Figure-2-Brad-Miller-9mm-Auto.jpg but they perfected single stack handguns during the 90s assault weapon ban. I've never heard of any issues outside of 9mm 1911's, which are sensitive to start with (especially with JHP's) due to having the feed ramp in the frame rather then the barrel like any modern handgun.

I've never heard of any other single stack being problematic, and I doubt your looking at a 9mm 1911 as a carry gun.

I've seen this around too. It's kind of silly.

Take a look at a 9mm 1911 magazine. Or a 9mm XDS magazine, which are pretty similar. Notice the crease in the sides of the magazine tube. The (slightly) larger bases of the tapered 9x19 cartridge stagger slightly in the magazine. You can observe this by looking at how the cartridges sit through the witness holes.

9x19 cartridges stack in the magazine just fine.

XDaMod2-9MM_Flush-2.jpg

Yep. I'm looking at YOU, ACT-Mag. I've had the feed lips crack on not 1, not 2, but 3 different ACT-Mags over the last couple of months. Finding a good extended 1911 Officer's mag is not easy. I've got some Tripp Research mags on the way.

Bri

I was wondering if there is any difference between single stack 9 mm verses double stack 9 mm handguns as far as being reliable? Do single stacks have less misfires?

I'll just say I used to carry a 9mm sub compact and now carry a 9mm compact. The sub was single stack and the compact is double stack. I had less problems with my double stack than my single stack.

Yep. I'm looking at YOU, ACT-Mag. I've had the feed lips crack on not 1, not 2, but 3 different ACT-Mags over the last couple of months. Finding a good extended 1911 Officer's mag is not easy. I've got some Tripp Research mags on the way.

Bri

Tripp mags are excellent.

Bri

Tripp mags are excellent.

I’ve had good luck with Wilson mags for 1911s

Can’t beat factory Glock mags.

Between my Glock 19 (double Stack) and my Glock 43 (single stack) after thousands of rounds no difference and nary any performance difference. FWIW in my Glock 43 I do use mag extenders to get a couple of extra rounds and I added a stronger spring with the extender as other had reported some feed problems. But that is not a single stack issue as much as it is a modifying the magazine issue.

Archived