New Ruger Redhawk

kurt555gs

SCORE!!!! I bought it! I have been looking all over the internets and at local gun shops for a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt. This is a rather rare, odd ball frame / caliber combination and no one could find one. So, I happened to go to MegaSports in Plainfield and guess what. Not only did they have one, but it had been sitting around for a couple years with no one interested so they discounted it. $709.00. Since I live in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Illinois, I wont be able to pick it up until Tuesday afternoon. I have a Ruger chest holster for it, but now I need to order a Simply Rugged Pancake holster too. YES!!!!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36782200/20120317_131651.jpg

Not as big as the Ruger Alaskan, which looks like a cartoon gun. Actually, I think I found my perfect carry piece. I have a safe stuffed to the gills trying to find the one pistol that fits all carry situations and have come to the conclusion that one, doesn't exist. So I have narrowed my carry guns down to three.

1. Ruger LCR .38 (Tritium night sight) ( I also have one with a Laser grip but don't really like it )
  2. Kimber Super Carry Pro .45
  3. The new Ruger Redhawk .45

I need to order a Pancake holster from Simply Rugged on Monday for the Redhawk. I have one for the Alaskan and it is reasonably comfortable, which is a feat in it's self considering the Alaskan is right on the edge of needing wheels.

I have noticed that I seem to have different tastes than many here. I see posts with 3 or 4 pages when some one talks about some little Bersa or Kahr .380 and whatever clip on IWB holster is in style that week.

Maybe I just live in the wrong state. When I was working in Texas, the little LCR was perfect to conceal and a .38 +P has a lot more punch than any .380 or 9mm. I never seem to hear anything on this board about those. The Kimber Super Carry Pro is also a wonderful gun for those that like automatics. Alloy frame, Tritium night sights, and the 1911 is well proven in reliability. Nope, I read about Glocks and XD's. Lastly, when I can, without bringing in a swat team I prefer open carry. And, if I am going to open carry, why not carry something like a big bore Ruger?

Who knows, some day I might get all excited over a High Point and then every one here can chime in.

Cheers.

The Governor and the Judge are for close in self defense. I have an LCR .38 for that. How could you expect to bring down an 800 LB ferrel hog at 25 yards or 50 with one of those? It's a tool box.

Oh, when I bought the Ruger .45 yesterday I had to write down the "reason". I put "pest control". If you have ever been to Megasports, you know they have no sense of humor at all. Why exactly do I need to explain my "reason". Do you have to explain your "reason" to go to church?

I had to put a reason for the first handgun I bought, I think I put down target shooting, which was a truthful answer. I don't believe I had to put a reason for other purchases, I could be wrong.

I know I put self-defense as a reason for wanting the PA permit, and it's displayed in the Reason to Carry field on the permit. That's what I would probably put down for a reason on any future handgun purchases.

kurt555gs

Have you heard of lightweight for CCW?. LOL All those heavy guns. Think Polymer. :thumbsup: I can't imagine carrying so hefty, my pants would fall down. 46 oz omg! :shocked:

Now the Ruger LCR .357 weighs only 17 ounces. That is light firepower. I'd carry that. Keep my pants in place. :cool: .

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/images/5450.jpg

Very nice! My first handgun was a 7-1/2" Redhawk in 44 mag (that's right, I learned to shoot with a .44 magnum). It's still probably my favorite gun in the safe. The 4" in .45 LC has gotten my attention since they came out with it but unfortunately it hasn't made it to the front spot on my "next gun" list.

One thing: It needs to lose the cheesy rubber grip in exchange for a nice wood grip! I have a Hogue w/ finger grooves in Pau Ferro on mine. The looks alone are a good enough reason but they also really improved my accuracy over the factory grip. To each his own though!

Very nice! My first handgun was a 7-1/2" Redhawk in 44 mag (that's right, I learned to shoot with a .44 magnum). It's still probably my favorite gun in the safe. The 4" in .45 LC has gotten my attention since they came out with it but unfortunately it hasn't made it to the front spot on my "next gun" list.

One thing: It needs to lose the cheesy rubber grip in exchange for a nice wood grip! I have a Hogue w/ finger grooves in Pau Ferro on mine. The looks alone are a good enough reason but they also really improved my accuracy over the factory grip. To each his own though!

I have a Houge rubber grip on my Super Redhawk Alaskan that I like, but this one pinches my fingers. I am looking for a nice wooden grip for the Redhawk .45 LC.

It is a beautiful design. I'm glad I bought it.

New Houge wooden grips came for the Redhawk. Removing the cheesy (sorry Wisconsin) rubber ones was like a Chinese puzzle box. Not only does the pistol look better, it fits my bear paw hand because the new wooden grips add a 1/2 inch to the length. Now I'm just waiting for the Simply Rugged Pancake holster I ordered for the Redhawk, and of course HB5745 to pass.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36782200/2012-03-30%2012.36.33.jpg

Archived