op-ed in libune "supporting" the LVOoP concept.

markthesignguy

On Friday the Tribune picked up a Washington Post Op-ed by Bradyite Nancy Taylor, described as a "West Coast gun safety advocate" . She writes of the eventual suicide of her husband who sued and regained his gun rights:

My husband struggled with mental illness and suicidal thoughts for some time, and not long before he died, he had his gun collection taken away because of one such attempt. He had threatened to use a shotgun. He sat with it in front of our house for a while, forcing police to evacuate and lock down the neighborhood until they could talk him down. Eventually they did, and order was restored. The court intervened, and his guns were gone.

I thought that was the end of it. With his guns gone, I thought we could start focusing on his well-being — and for a while, we did. But with the hired help of an expensive gun rights attorney, my husband regained his lawful status to purchase guns after just a five-year period. I was devastated and terrified. My husband had his guns taken away for a serious reason and should never have been able to buy and own them again. With each new purchase, I wondered if that would be the gun that killed him.

She glosses over the time periods involved ("not long before he died" - yet "five year period") and glosses over what may or may not have transpired in the interim.

Seems like they may be warming up for another pitch? Or testing the waters?

Less than two months after my husband took his life with a gun he never should have had, California enacted a law that gives families and law enforcement an avenue to confiscate a person's firearms and prohibit them from purchasing another one. With enough evidence provided by law enforcement or family members, a judge can issue a temporary emergency order to keep firearms out of reach. Only a few states have these laws, but they've already proved remarkably effective.

For reference the Lethal Violence Order of Protection Bills were currently HB3160 and SB1291(?)

I post this so we can keep careful watch.

West Coast you say?

From the people who spend $211 million on a suicide net under the Golden Gate Bridge ?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/us/golden-gate-bridge-net-trnd/index.html

What stops a person from jumping down to the net then jumping off the net?

Maybe another net.

Is that another $211 million?

I think it would be more because they'll need tiered nets every 10 feet or so, all the way down to the shark infested waters.

As a scuba diver and avid shark advocate, allow me to point out that the cold water in the San Francisco Bay will get you long before the sharks do.

As a scuba diver and avid shark advocate, allow me to point out that the cold water in the San Francisco Bay will get you long before the sharks do.

This may not be true in a less environmentally aware state but I'm guessing that icy Bay water, being connected to the ocean the way it is, will have risen so much in another couple years that the fall from the bridge will be insignificant anyway.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they eventually have to jump up to the water's surface.

Do the LVOoPs take away any rope that the suicidal people they have?

Here is a guy who used a bridge with a twist - he hung himself:

Man hangs himself from Lake Merritt bridge in apparent suicide

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/07/08/man-hangs-himself-from-lake-merritt-bridge-in-apparent-suicide-police-say/

The worst are the people who drive their cars on the railroad tracks and end up killing other people in the process. Juan Manuel Alvarez drove his SUV onto railroad tracks in Glendale to kill himself, then chickened out at the last minute and bailed out of his car. The crash derailed passenger cars on the train, which were hit by a train traveling in the opposite direction. Eleven people were killed. Juan Manuel Alvarez was convicted of murder, but it seems like there are other things they should be focusing on besides guns.

The worst are the people who drive their cars on the railroad tracks and end up killing other people in the process. Juan Manuel Alvarez drove his SUV onto railroad tracks in Glendale to kill himself, then chickened out at the last minute and bailed out of his car. The crash derailed passenger cars on the train, which were hit by a train traveling in the opposite direction. Eleven people were killed. Juan Manuel Alvarez was convicted of murder, but it seems like there are other things they should be focusing on besides guns.

Interesting concept, by taking away the firearm, the suicide is forced to use other means that could endanger other people.

Kleck reported decades ago that suicides invariably find other means to accomplish their goal.

Back in eastern communist europe, the common suicide was somebody getting a length of rope, and going to the attic, basement or forest to find someplace convenient to tie it.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the government provided a suicide pill to every man,woman and child over 12. The pill would help you sleep and shut you down. No need to endanger anyone or leave an unsightly expensive mess.

We already have that. It is called doctor assisted euthanasia. First offered as an option, then quickly becoming mandatory.

This is how the culture of death operates - first they appeal to choice, then sign its praises, then it becomes mandatory.

It's such a ridiculous argument. This crazy woman really believes that her husband wouldn't of committed suicide some other way? They want to restrict all firearm rights from everyone in solution to a problem which cannot be solved.

Someone who desires to end their life is going to do so regardless. A firearm is actually a better option than many others. They otherwise jump off a building or in front of a train, which will cause problems for a lot of other people. Nothing worse than a 3-4 hour delay on Metra for hundreds of people who are not allowed to leave the train...

This crazy woman really believes that her husband wouldn't of committed suicide some other way?

These crazy women - Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi believe that a safety "barrier" will stop people from committing suicide. They're spending $211 million to put up the barrier that will just send the bridge jumpers over to the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge to kill themselves.

By the way - you paid for part of that $211

I don't know - I hate to sound preachy, but again, I think it highlights the ideological divide in this country. There are people who think the government with the right law, the right "program" and right amount of funding can solve anything.

And y'know - basically they're stupid.

This crazy woman really believes that her husband wouldn't of committed suicide some other way?

These crazy women - Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi believe that a safety "barrier" will stop people from committing suicide. They're spending $211 million to put up the barrier that will just send the bridge jumpers over to the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge to kill themselves.

By the way - you paid for part of that $211

I don't know - I hate to sound preachy, but again, I think it highlights the ideological divide in this country. There are people who think the government with the right law, the right "program" and right amount of funding can solve anything.

And y'know - basically they're stupid.

Are they that stupid or are we this stupid to continue to vote them into office so they can hire their friends and family to do the most rediculous, expensive things that never wind up hitting the budget and become complete and total failures of the goal that was projected?

Yep the three of them worked together to get Federal law changed to allow federal funds for transportation to be spent on the suicide barrier. Of course its ridiculous and people ask the obvious question like "Why don't they just then go out to the end of the barrier and jump ?" The answer is that "The people want to end their life - not hurt themselves. When someone who is suicidal sees that they're going to land on that steel barrier, and that its going to hurt, they won't commit suicide."

And its California so its not like they can go buy a gun and just shoot themselves.

They really have no option at that point but to walk over to the the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge.

Its sad really...

There should be a law against forcing people to hang themselves, jump off bridges or jump in front of trains when they'd really just rather shoot themselves in the privacy of their own home.

Archived