Illinois Concealed Carry Update

Molly B.

Yes, per the FCCA, 8 hrs must be Illinois FCCA specific.

I'm going to ask a dumb question...

Can one get these Live Scan prints done today and "save" them somehow to be submitted later?

Here is a (probably outdated) list of PD's that use Live Scan: http://www2.illinois...ies11.08.10.pdf

I asked my Sheriff's department about that and the answer I got was there isn't a "file or folder" to store or transmit the prints yet.

I'm no live scan expert, but the way I understood, there has to be a category created to file the prints into...like teachers or felons, etc. That is apparently coming, but isn't in "the system" yet.

Can they move from one folder to another? Copy/paste? I have been printed for my career multiple times, but it was always done with ink prints...

What did your Sheriff say they charged?

No.

Can one get these Live Scan prints done today and "save" them somehow to be submitted later?

Here is a (probably outdated) list of PD's that use Live Scan: http://www2.illinois.gov/prb/Documents/lsagencies11.08.10.pdf

Yes, that would be possible; however, the live scan vendor would have no idea what to charge you. So it is possible, just not practical.

What about the high school diploma requirement?

Does it have to be in a sealed envelope from the school district or will an already opened copy work?

I'm going to assume sealed envelope from the school district.

Matt

High school diploma requirement for what?

To be an instructor

What about the high school diploma requirement?

Does it have to be in a sealed envelope from the school district or will an already opened copy work?

I'm going to assume sealed envelope from the school district.

Matt

I'm thinking more along the lines of a yes/no check box or a line for school/town/year. Just speculation.

Here is a (probably outdated) list of PD's that use Live Scan: http://www2.illinois...ies11.08.10.pdf

I asked my Sheriff's department about that and the answer I got was there isn't a "file or folder" to store or transmit the prints yet.

I'm no live scan expert, but the way I understood, there has to be a category created to file the prints into...like teachers or felons, etc. That is apparently coming, but isn't in "the system" yet.

Can they move from one folder to another? Copy/paste? I have been printed for my career multiple times, but it was always done with ink prints...

$15 is their charge for doing the print.

$15 is their charge for doing the print.

Is that McLean Co?

Here is the issue with police departments doing livescan for CCW.. Right now, they do it for criminal justice authorities (no fees to them). We do it for our local school hires but they pay the cost. There is a "paycode" associated with the local agency needs to have in order to submit prints to when it's not for criminal justice purposes. This means the agencies will have to make that purchase in order to submit for CCW. That cost would be passed on to the consumer. My guess is many agencies will deny requests for this or some will see this as a money maker and do it.

I'm assuming the fingerprint requirement will only apply to the instructors and not anyone else?

Molly, was the fingerprint requirement (by administrative regulation) only applicable to instructors or is ISP also planning on forcing all applicants to get fingerprinted?

I'm not Molly, but if the ISP requires all applicants to submit fingerprints, they would be violating the FCCA. The law says that fingerprints are optional.

I'm assuming the fingerprint requirement will only apply to the instructors and not anyone else?

Molly, was the fingerprint requirement (by administrative regulation) only applicable to instructors or is ISP also planning on forcing all applicants to get fingerprinted?

I'm not Molly, but if the ISP requires all applicants to submit fingerprints, they would be violating the FCCA. The law says that fingerprints are optional.

The language in the Act is the following:

(8) a full set of fingerprints submitted to the

Department in electronic format, provided the Department

may accept an application submitted without a set of

fingerprints in which case the Department shall be granted

30 days in addition to the 90 days provided under

subsection (e) of Section 10 of this Act to issue or deny a

license;

Notice the use of the term "may." That means it is completely up to the discretion of ISP whether or not it wants to accept applications without fingerprints. If the phrase "shall accept" had been used in place of "may accept" then ISP would be forced to accept applications without fingerprints.

Here is the issue with police departments doing livescan for CCW.. Right now, they do it for criminal justice authorities (no fees to them). We do it for our local school hires but they pay the cost. There is a "paycode" associated with the local agency needs to have in order to submit prints to when it's not for criminal justice purposes. This means the agencies will have to make that purchase in order to submit for CCW. That cost would be passed on to the consumer. My guess is many agencies will deny requests for this or some will see this as a money maker and do it.

The pay code is an issue. I spoke with someone at my local sheriffs office this AM and while they can do electronic submissions he told me 'he didn't think they had a code to submit them to the ISP for this purpose.' He sent me to District 21 who said they can't do it but the investigator there gave me a different name to call at my local sheriffs office. Of course she's out until Monday...

I can say the investigator at District 21 was really helpful. Honestly I feel for the rank and file in ISP right now. They're obviously inundated with information requests about CCW but it doesn't appear they've been given much more to work with than we have.

I work in the securities (investment type of securities) business and have been finger printed twice. Both times a local PD did it. The first time, a few years ago, I paid nothing and they were used to it for teachers. The more recent time, in a larger community PD, it cost like $20 and the person doing the prints had never done ink and paper prints before...

I know this may not be relevant, since it was ink and live scan, but my point is that PDs have been doing prints for non-criminal justice reasons for years...

I spoke with Sheriff Duvendack of Morgan County a few minutes ago. He said the law making them get a vendor's license was changed and they can now offer fingerprinting services to citizens and will for CCW applications in the near future.

Public Act 098-0294

SB1853 Enrolled LRB098 08596 MGM 38713 b AN ACT concerning regulation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:

Section 5. The Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 is amended by changing Section 31-5 as follows:

(225 ILCS 447/31-5) (Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2014) Sec. 31-5. Exemptions. The provisions of this Act regarding fingerprint vendors do not apply to any of the following, if the person performing the service does not hold himself or herself out as a fingerprint vendor or fingerprint vendor agency: (1) An employee of the United States, Illinois, or a political subdivision, including public school districts, of either while the employee is engaged in the performance of his or her official duties within the scope of his or her employment. However, any such person who offers his or her services as a fingerprint vendor or uses a similar title when these services are performed for compensation or other consideration, whether received directly or indirectly, is subject to this Act. (2) A person employed exclusively by only one employer in connection with the exclusive activities of that employer, provided that person does not hold himself or herself out to the public as a fingerprint vendor. (3) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Act, any member of local law enforcement in the performance of his or her duties. Nothing in this Act shall prohibit local law enforcement agencies from charging a reasonable fee related to the cost of offering fingerprinting services. (Source: P.A. 95-613, eff. 9-11-07.)

Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon

becoming law.

I spoke with Sheriff Duvendack of Morgan County a few minutes ago. He said the law making them get a vendor's license was changed and they can now offer fingerprinting services to citizens and will for CCW applications in the near future.

Public Act 098-0294

SB1853 Enrolled LRB098 08596 MGM 38713 b AN ACT concerning regulation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:

Section 5. The Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 is amended by changing Section 31-5 as follows:

(225 ILCS 447/31-5) (Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2014) Sec. 31-5. Exemptions. The provisions of this Act regarding fingerprint vendors do not apply to any of the following, if the person performing the service does not hold himself or herself out as a fingerprint vendor or fingerprint vendor agency: (1) An employee of the United States, Illinois, or a political subdivision, including public school districts, of either while the employee is engaged in the performance of his or her official duties within the scope of his or her employment. However, any such person who offers his or her services as a fingerprint vendor or uses a similar title when these services are performed for compensation or other consideration, whether received directly or indirectly, is subject to this Act. (2) A person employed exclusively by only one employer in connection with the exclusive activities of that employer, provided that person does not hold himself or herself out to the public as a fingerprint vendor. (3) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Act, any member of local law enforcement in the performance of his or her duties. Nothing in this Act shall prohibit local law enforcement agencies from charging a reasonable fee related to the cost of offering fingerprinting services. (Source: P.A. 95-613, eff. 9-11-07.)

Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon

becoming law.

So in short, they are going to allow police departments/sheriff's to print using livescan without this additional expense? If that's true, they need to send it out to livescan agencies and tell them how to do it etc.

I'm not sure how that's all going to shake out and neither was Sheriff Duvendack. I see him occasionally out and about and talk to him several times a month. As the day gets closer and they finalize plans for here I'll let you know what he says.

I'd contact my local Sheriff's office/PD and see if they have live scan capability and find out what their plans regarding printing for CCW are. If they don't have any perhaps your call would get them to thinking along that lines so they aren't swamped and trying to play catch up later.

I'm not sure how that's all going to shake out and neither was Sheriff Duvendack. I see him occasionally out and about and talk to him several times a month. As the day gets closer and they finalize plans for here I'll let you know what he says.

I'd contact my local Sheriff's office/PD and see if they have live scan capability and find out what their plans regarding printing for CCW are. If they don't have any perhaps your call would get them to thinking along that lines so they aren't swamped and trying to play catch up later.

Right. I work for a local agency and we heard nothing yet. That's part of why I was asking. I am sure something will come down the pipeline from the County or State..sooner the better.

They also need to create a specific address to have the livescans sent. DNR's Mines and Minerals has such an address to be used when you get your blaster's ticket, and the ISBE has a similar one for teachers and school employees.

I assume ISP would want a different one for CCW folks than criminals... even if we are considered on the same level by certain political appointees within that agency. :hairy:

They are wanting names of anyone who is presenting themselves as pre-approved, or saying their class is IL certified - they will fine them and if they are ISP they will also be disciplined.

And Metro Shooting Supplies in the STL area (including in Belleville, IL) is advertising on the radio in the STL market that they are offering CCW courses that will give credit for 8 of the 16 hours required in IL, and that their instructors are approved since they are NRA certified.

Archived