Yet Another Letter The Libune Will Never publish

Lou

I know the Libune won't publish this one but i find it great anger management therapy to write them.

http://www.chicagotr...,0,118512.story

This is in response to the March 10th editorial "Guns, criminals, the NRA and its minions." There has been a lot of talk lately about why the NRA tries so hard to block so-called "common sense gun laws" from being passed. Basically the NRA understands that anti-gun zealots practice a strategy called "Death by 1,000 cuts." The NRA and it's paid members know that the anti-gun zealots understand that they cannot erase the Second Amendment all at once so they are trying to do it one cut at a time until the laws governing firearms are so onerous that the Second Amendment would be rendered meaningless. If the current law in the senate were to pass, it would quickly be followed up by yet another law and another after that; death by 1,000 cuts. The anti-gun zealots will never stop even after it is proven that {big surprise here} criminals do not obey laws.

A good example of this concept is what happened in New York State recently. New York State already had an "assault weapons ban" in place which outlawed standard capacity magazines and limited magazine capacity to ten rounds. When this ill-advised law had zero affect on reducing violent crime instead of repealing an ineffective law, they passed yet another law limiting magazine to no more than 7 rounds knowing full well that nobody makes 7 round magazines for the vast majority of firearms. Does anyone doubt that when this new law will also be ineffective in reducing violent crime they will pass yet another law further restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens?

Another example can be seen in California where they required so-called assault weapons to be registered with the state. Not long after law-abiding citizens registered their modern sporting rifles they passed yet another law which changed the definition of an "assault rifle" making currently registered firearms magically illegal. Can there any doubt why the NRA and their minions are fighting registration schemes?

When I hear the phrase "common sense gun laws" I think of the one we already have; it is called The Second Amendment.

Oh and if you anti-gun types object to my describing you as zealots, well I also object to your use of the phrase "gun nut" and I am nobody's minion.

Lou

Archived