Responding to CCL Review Board Request for Statement

How do I go about getting my CCL application removed ? After responding to the Review Board I was still denied my CCL I have my rap sheet it has about 5 or 6 arrests and 3 or 4 complaint reports but NO CONVICTIONS and they are all 5 years old and older. I do want to add that 1 of the arrests says I was charged with a gun which is absolutely FALSE because I never owned a gun or had one in my possession so therefore I could NOT have been charged with one, thought it was dropped by the state. At this point I am just going to go have my whole record expunged instead of trying to prove I did not have a gun as I have no way to prove that so why bother wasting time with it and instead just get it ALL expunged. Now I want to have my CCL application removed. WHO DO I CONTACT AND HOW SHOULD I CONTACT THEM AND WHAT DO I SAY IN MY REQUEST FOR THE REMOVAL ?

What city or town were the arrests and police reports come out of? You can appeal this decision in the circuit courts. Did you include the statement that molly provided when you responded to the review board?

How do I go about getting my CCL application removed ? After responding to the Review Board I was still denied my CCL I have my rap sheet it has about 5 or 6 arrests and 3 or 4 complaint reports but NO CONVICTIONS and they are all 5 years old and older. I do want to add that 1 of the arrests says I was charged with a gun which is absolutely FALSE because I never owned a gun or had one in my possession so therefore I could NOT have been charged with one, thought it was dropped by the state. At this point I am just going to go have my whole record expunged instead of trying to prove I did not have a gun as I have no way to prove that so why bother wasting time with it and instead just get it ALL expunged. Now I want to have my CCL application removed. WHO DO I CONTACT AND HOW SHOULD I CONTACT THEM AND WHAT DO I SAY IN MY REQUEST FOR THE REMOVAL ?

What city or town were the arrests and police reports come out of? You can appeal this decision in the circuit courts. Did you include the statement that molly provided when you responded to the review board?

They are all from cook county chicago. I thought about appealing it but why not just go get it all expunged instead I want all that off my record anyways and I should have gotten it done before I applied for my CCL but I also no that I do meet all the requirement to have a CCL and because I have no convictions I did not think they would care so much about all that nonsense. Though I am pretty sure it is past the 35 days to appeal.

They are all from cook county chicago. I thought about appealing it but why not just go get it all expunged instead I want all that off my record anyways and I should have gotten it done before I applied for my CCL but I also no that I do meet all the requirement to have a CCL and because I have no convictions I did not think they would care so much about all that nonsense. Though I am pretty sure it is past the 35 days to appeal.

And YES I did include that statement when I responded

I dont think you can”remove” your application.

From what I was told and have read here YES you can and after being denied they said before applying again ask that they remove your application ( the one that was denied ) . I imagine that is so they do not use that as part of their decision when you apply again especially after expunging your record because that 1st application will reflect what was on your record before. I was also told here that it takes a long time for them to remove that application.

There have been cases of folks who were denied by the CCL Review Board, missed the deadline to appeal, who have had their application cleared from the system. I suggest going through the expungement process, wait 90 days and then do a background check to make sure your record is truly cleared from the system. At that time, request to have the application cleared from the system. I can walk you through that when the time comes.

There have been cases of folks who were denied by the CCL Review Board, missed the deadline to appeal, who have had their application cleared from the system. I suggest going through the expungement process, wait 90 days and then do a background check to make sure your record is truly cleared from the system. At that time, request to have the application cleared from the system. I can walk you through that when the time comes.

What is the reason for waiting until after expungement to request my application be cleared ? Also what about my conceal and carry class certificate, is there any expiration on that am I going to have a problem with them accepting it after 1 year ? I got it in April 2019

The certificate does not expire. The plus in waiting until after your record is clear is the fact you are asking as someone who has gone through the expunging process and gotten your record clear, something the ISP must agree to - as opposed to someone who is going to try to get their record cleared.

And for the reason that ISP has to agree to the expungement when making their decision they are going to look at my record knowing they just denied me for my CCL obviously they are going to assume the reason I want an expungement now is for my CCL aren't they just going to deny my expungement too otherwise why wouldn't they just have granted my CCL, they know I don't have any convictions. And obviously even though I wasn't convicted of any of the charges they still based their denial on those charges and did not want to give me my CCL so why would they agree to my expungement?

The certificate does not expire. The plus in waiting until after your record is clear is the fact you are asking as someone who has gone through the expunging process and gotten your record clear, something the ISP must agree to - as opposed to someone who is going to try to get their record cleared.

And for the reason that ISP has to agree to the expungement when making their decision they are going to look at my record knowing they just denied me for my CCL obviously they are going to assume the reason I want an expungement now is for my CCL aren't they just going to deny my expungement too otherwise why wouldn't they just have granted my CCL, they know I don't have any convictions. And obviously even though I wasn't convicted of any of the charges they still based their denial on those charges and did not want to give me my CCL so why would they agree to my expungement? That is why I was thinking when they are asked about my expungement if my application is already cleared from the system my chances of them agreeing to my expungement may be better if the do not know for sure the reason I want it is for my CCL that they appearently DO NOT WANT ME TO HAVE

And for the reason that ISP has to agree to the expungement when making their decision they are going to look at my record knowing they just denied me for my CCL obviously they are going to assume the reason I want an expungement now is for my CCL aren't they just going to deny my expungement too otherwise why wouldn't they just have granted my CCL, they know I don't have any convictions. And obviously even though I wasn't convicted of any of the charges they still based their denial on those charges and did not want to give me my CCL so why would they agree to my expungement?

Different departments. I doubt they will know you applied for a CCL. If you qualify for an expungement, they are not known for denying it. You don't have to have convictions to be denied by the CCL Review Board. Depending on the nature of the arrests and police reports, you can be denied by the board.

Different departments. I doubt they will know you applied for a CCL. If you qualify for an expungement, they are not known for denying it. You don't have to have convictions to be denied by the CCL Review Board. Depending on the nature of the arrests and police reports, you can be denied by the board.

Oh ok I understand that now. Thanks for all your help, your the best ! I will definitely be asking for your help in the future, especial when I request for my ccl application to be removed out the system. Though I am sure I will be asking your help and advice before that and even after. YOUR THE BEST MOLLY B. TY

• 4 months later...

Relatively new here, mostly browse and read a lot. Just reading through this thread is a little scary with the issues regarding the review and how they can deny you for a variety of reasons.

I literally just put my application in yesterday with fingerprints. It sounds like a majority of the denials are coming from Cook County, obviously not all of them are just from Cook but a majority.

Is this happening in a lot of other counties or mostly from Cook and CPD?

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much amazing information and helpful people are around here. I'm glad I found this site. Great work by all.

Edited by Maelbolgia@24

I do believe it's mostly Cook County and Chicago doing the most objections. If you live in Suburban Cook County and have been in contact with any Cook County Sheriff Deputies or through Cook County Jail it will probably be Tom Dart that will object. If you Google Concealed Carry objections by counties you will find the exact numbers.

Relatively new here, mostly browse and read a lot. Just reading through this thread is a little scary with the issues regarding the review and how they can deny you for a variety of reasons.

I literally just put my application in yesterday with fingerprints. It sounds like a majority of the denials are coming from Cook County, obviously not all of them are just from Cook but a majority.

Is this happening in a lot of other counties or mostly from Cook and CPD?

EDIT: Forgot to mention how much amazing information and helpful people are around here. I'm glad I found this site. Great work by all.

• 2 months later...

Before the CCL Review Board denies a concealed carry license, they will send a letter to the applicant stating which law enforcement agency filed the objection and list the reasons given by that agency. The reasons will usually be a list of misdemeanor convictions or arrests/reports that the agency has on file that did not result in a conviction. The letter will offer you the opportunity to submit a statement and documents that testify in your own behalf showing that you are not a danger to yourself, others, or the public. The letter will also state that you have 15 days to respond, if you need more time, you may request more time.

IF you should find yourself in the position of having to appeal a CCL Board denial in court, you can only present/argue information that was provided to the board, so it is important that you include everything in your response to the board that you might want to present later in court. The following information from fellow members about their experience with the board and with their court appeals may be helpful:

1. It is important that you address each of the reasons listed in the objection, explain in your own words what happened, be truthful. It is a very good idea to go to the objecting law enforcement agency and request a copy of all the records and reports so you can verify if the report is accurate - if it is not accurate, you should state this in your response to the board. It could take several weeks for an agency to provide the information you have requested - be sure to send a request for more time to the review board, if you think you will need it.

2. If you made mistakes in judgement years ago, it's best to admit it, then describe how you learned from those mistakes, how you have matured and are now a responsible citizen. To illustrate being a responsible adult, list your work history, community involvement, any productive activities you are involved in. If you have friends and family who are respected in the community, have them write a signed and notarized statement in your own behalf. This isn't critical but if you have had a troubled past, it could be helpful.

3. IllinoisCarry leadership believes the law enforcement objection and CCL Review Board process is unconstitutional. We are aware that several CCL applicants who appealed a board denial in court have tried to argue the constitutionality of the review board but their argument was not allowed in court because the argument was not first presented to the CCL Review Board. After consulting with our legal team, they advise the following be added to responses to the CCL Review Board's request for a statement from an applicant:

In addition to my denials of the factual allegations and legal conclusions raised by the law enforcement objection, I also object to, and challenge the constitutionality of the objection and review board process. I have met all qualifications for a concealed carry license under the Firearms Concealed Carry Act, and this process denies me the fundamental right to bear arms based solely on a preponderance of evidence, even though I do not have a disqualifying misdemeanor or felony conviction, nor have I been adjudicated to have a mental illness or mental disability. I also challenge the constitutionality of being deprived of the right to bear arms when only allowed to submit a written statement in my defense without being provided the opportunity of a hearing before the board in which I am allowed to present evidence, or to question the board or a representative of the objecting agency. The above-referenced statutes and procedures individually and collectively violate my Second Amendment rights, as well as my right to procedural due process under the Fourteenth Amendment.

Furthermore, I challenge the constitutionality of the objection process on the grounds of my Fourteenth Amendment right to equal protection under the law. There is no uniformity among law enforcement agencies as to what incidents or information may be considered a basis for an objection, which results in unfair disparate treatment among applicants and between various law enforcement agencies, sometimes for the same alleged type of incident. The result is an unfair and unconstitutional denial of the fundamental right to bear arms.

For the above reasons, I challenge the constitutionality, facially and as applied, of 430 ILCS 66/15(a), 20(d), 20(e), and 20(g).

I was denied my CCW back in 2017 for police reports made back in 2012 none of which I was ever arrested for, tickted, fined, or ever even so much as yelled at by a police officer. not I applied again on 3/7/2020 and again tom dart sent in the exact same objection. I have done everything in my power to keep things as clean as possible. and im going to get denied again why? I've committed no crimes I haven't even gotta a parking ticket in over 20 years. can someone please help?

I was denied my CCL back in 2017 for police reports made back in 2012 none of which I was ever arrested for, ticketed fined, or ever even so much as yelled at by a police officer. now I applied again on 3/7/2020 and again tom dart sent in the exact same objection. I have done everything in my power to keep things as clean as possible. and im going to get denied again why? I've committed no crimes I haven't even gotta a parking ticket in over 20 years. can someone please help? Molly you have helped a lot of people can you help me?

Edited by Alfredosantana1973

I was denied my CCL back in 2017 for police reports made back in 2012 none of which I was ever arrested for, ticketed fined, or ever even so much as yelled at by a police officer. now I applied again on 3/7/2020 and again tom dart sent in the exact same objection. I have done everything in my power to keep things as clean as possible. and im going to get denied again why? I've committed no crimes I haven't even gotta a parking ticket in over 20 years. can someone please help? Molly you have helped a lot of people can you help me?

Cool!!

Cool!!

Before you were denied in 2017, did you respond to the review board with an explanation for the incidents listed in the objection that was filed against your application?

• 3 weeks later...

I tell you 1 thing... getting these damm letters every month talking about another 30days is so frustrating and annoying!! Applied 1212/19 and been getting letters every single month like clockwork.. Ive read thru this thread but its still so frustrating... ok rant over.. good morning

I thought I was the only one getting these letters. You must be under board review too? They need to speed this up, especially if they have the new members now.

I tell you 1 thing... getting these damm letters every month talking about another 30days is so frustrating and annoying!! Applied 1212/19 and been getting letters every single month like clockwork.. Ive read thru this thread but its still so frustrating... ok rant over.. good morning

I thought I was the only one getting these letters. You must be under board review too? They need to speed this up, especially if they have the new members now.

heck yeah... from what I read here once it says just under review it means they are actually looking at it... I’m patient but damm.. friend of mine said his was like this for almost 2 years then all of a sudden his card just showed up in the mail smh

The multiple repeat 30 day letters for UBR have been going on forever. Its been discussed and tried to get changed with the position they only get one 30 day extension.

With the backlog, no idea or public announcements of how often/when the board meets, the anti gun JBP, ISP director and ILGA, nothing is happening with those changes that I have heard about. When they get around to it, most objections get overturned.

Edited by InterestedBystander

heck yeah... from what I read here once it says just under review it means they are actually looking at it... Im patient but damm.. friend of mine said his was like this for almost 2 years then all of a sudden his card just showed up in the mail smh

Going under review from board review should mean the board has overruled objection and approved you so the ISP is now proccessing the application. Edited by InterestedBystander

heck yeah... from what I read here once it says just under review it means they are actually looking at it... Im patient but damm.. friend of mine said his was like this for almost 2 years then all of a sudden his card just showed up in the mail smh

Going under review from board review should mean the board has overruled objection and approved you so the ISP is now proccessing the application.

Thanks for the info!!! Really appreciate it.. this world is getting crazy and the criminals are getting more brazen.. gotta be able to protect yourself outside your home also

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and a relatively new gun owner. I applied for my conceal carry on June 4th and after almost 3 months I received a letter saying I was under a board review due to an objection submitted by a police department. I live in Cook County in a Suburb and was arrested 3 weeks after I applied for speeding and has the ticket was dismissed not even a month later. I was reading up on what Molly was saying about if after 3 months of extension from the state, there would be something I could do. Not sure if I misread, but if someone could correct me. So far after reading and watching videos, I wish I was more patient and got that arrest expunged. Any advice? Thanks.

-Majd