Pritzker Backs Ban On Large-Capacity Magazines

Upholder

https://www.nprillinois.org/post/pritzker-backs-ban-large-capacity-magazines#stream/0

In the wake of last weekend’s shootings in Texas and Ohio, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker is calling for a ban on large-capacity magazines.

Pritzker says regulating guns ought to be done at the federal level. But in the absence of that, he says Illinois should take action on its own.

His first idea? A ban on magazines that hold a lot of ammunition.

“I think all of us have seen that in several of the circumstances, these horrible circumstances, these high capacity magazines were used or were going to be used, either way,” Pritzker says.

Nine other states have similar bans. Under Democratic control, the Illinois General Assembly has tried and failed to ban such magazines in the past, but not this year.

Lawmakers are not scheduled to return to Springfield until the end of October.

Meanwhile, Illinois Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton says President Donald Trump’s rhetoric has no place in America.

Stratton says the president’s language has caused division.

“As a woman of color, I’ve faced racism my entire life. So it’s not that that’s something new,” Stratton says. “But I have not heard this level of boldness coming directly from the White House saying that people who are American do not belong here.”

She was referring to Trump’s recent suggestion that four Congresswomen leave the country. All four are U-S citizens — and women of color.

Pritzker goes even further. He says Trump has "created an atmosphere in this country where people are feeling as if it’s OK — as the president has done — to attack people of color.”

His first idea? A ban on magazines that hold a lot of ammunition.

What is too much?

1,5,10 rounds?

Pritzker says regulating guns ought to be done at the federal level. But in the absence of that, he says Illinois should take action on its own.

Absolutely no shame in talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Whatever king Bloomberg feels like we can have.

My guess is they will go with a 10 round limit to start with. Of course that causes broader problems as I am sure it wont be limited to rifles. We must fight back and not let it pass.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say it'll be retroactive as well. Some California, move your stuff out of the state, give it to us, sell it, or go to prison. Take your pick. No comment on the legality/constitutionality of such a measure.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Don't forget, on his way out Rauner signed the 3 day wait for long guns into law. Better than this guy, but he was still no friend of ours by a long shot.

It bears repeating that a wait period of any duration only works if the person trying to buy the gun has no other guns of his own. If he does, the waiting period accomplishes nothing other than an infringement of our rights.

Not that the facts mean anything to the opposition.

I was around when the waiting period was enacted. It was called a 'cooling off period' back then to stop crimes of passion. That's how they described back then. Again, if you own more than that one gun you're attempting to buy, the waiting period means absolutely nothing.

That's precisely what Kinzinger wants to do. Label certain weapons "assault weapons" to make them 21+. I'm sick of his doublespeak. Thanks for your military service, Congressman Kinzinger, but get the eff out of Congress.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Don't forget, on his way out Rauner signed the 3 day wait for long guns into law. Better than this guy, but he was still no friend of ours by a long shot.

It bears repeating that a wait period of any duration only works if the person trying to buy the gun has no other guns of his own. If he does, the waiting period accomplishes nothing other than an infringement of our rights.

I was around when the waiting period was enacted. It was called a 'cooling off period' back then to stop crimes of passion. That's how they described back then. Again, if you own more than that one gun you're attempting to buy, the waiting period means absolutely nothing.

You got that wrong, Rauner was our friend and cherished the Constitution and defended our rights and was a gun owner himself.

I guess it's time we consider a preemptive don't become an overnight felon plan for something you legally purchased and have had legally for decades, sad that we have to even consider this, but it sure appears our legislators are aiming to make us felons and the wheels of justices can be far to slow to offer a Constitutional reprieve.

I'm not saying give up, but it might be best to stay free to fight another day.

You got that wrong, Rauner was our friend and cherished the Constitution and defended our rights and was a gun owner himself.

Is this a serious comment, or are you kidding around? Maybe that should be in purple?

Been saying this was coming. He won't stop there.

Absolutely. Even if an AWB and mag ban doesnt make it out of Congress, I expect the ILGA to drag the AWB bills that went back to rules/assignments out again along with the mag capacity bans and bans on private sales.

Yep! He'll make Illinois the shining example for the rest of the country. I bet Willis can't wait....

Archived