Speaking of Dog Grooming...a survey call I got last night

soylentgreen

I received an automated call last night asking questions about whether the state should require licensing of gun dealers. The questions were definitely phrased to illicit a certain response.

The questions were (roughly):

Should gun dealers have to be licensed by the state?

Should gun dealers be required by law to implement security/anti-theft measures?

Should employees of gun dealers be required by law to have a background check?

Should employees of gun dealers be required by law to undergo training to spot straw purchasers?

Do you own any guns?

I think it's a "PUSH POLL", designed to steer an opinion, build a groundswell.

push poll
noun
noun: push poll; plural noun: push polls
  1. an ostensible opinion poll in which the true objective is to sway voters using loaded or manipulative questions.

If you answer "No" to the first 4 questions and "Yes" to the last question they throw out your response because you're biased.

That's why I'd answer no to all. Of course they will probably throw out any survey response that doesn't fit their agenda.

No to each one. That will really f@$# with their heads and their survey.

We'll just ignore this guys responses. The purple is likely inappropriate.

Eh?

I was trained to recognize straw purchasers. The situations are painfully obvious to recognize.

I believe the government mandates too many things as it is, but if a dealer and their employees don't know how to recognize the various straw purchase scenarios or just doesn't care, well...........nature will eventually sort itself out.

• 3 weeks later...

It could have been worse. Normally these questions are asked from the assumption that gun restrictions increase public safety or a similar agenda. For example, the question could have been asked in the form of "Since it is critical to keep dangerous individuals from having access to guns, do you think that employees of licensed gun dealers be required by law to have a background check?". That format of question, especially to the individual who does not question the assumption, will of course get a higher percentage of positive answers.

Posters are being too paranoiac. As listed by the OP each question addresses a single point, not two possibly conflicting ones as Vito indicates could have been done.

How do people know that gun owner responses will be thrown out? What if the poll was done or sponsored by the NRA-ILA or the ISRA? Professional polling groups have a reputation to maintain. Their various survey areas may cover a wide range: gun ownership, car brands, political viewpoints, and many more. If results are repeatedly unreliable commercial surveyors will lose business. Methods of data collection, raw data, and evaluation methods are often published.

As for asking about gun ownership, gun owners are not in uniform agreement on all gun issues. Some long gun owners are against concealed carry. On another forum I have seen hostile exchanges between some members from open carry and concealed carry camps. Political polls often report outcomes based on political or other affiliation, e.g. 32% of Democrats and 65% of Republicans support HB xx, or candidate y was favored by 70% of responders, but only 46% of registered voters.

If we are not going to make our viewpoints known, perhaps we should stop wasting time filing witness slips. They will just be ignored anyway.

Professional polling groups have a reputation to maintain. Their various survey areas may cover a wide range: gun ownership, car brands, political viewpoints, and many more. If results are repeatedly unreliable commercial surveyors will lose business. Methods of data collection, raw data, and evaluation methods are often published.

Perhaps. The questions were clearly biased and preyed on the fact that most people would not know that federal law already requires gun dealers to be licensed. It's was meant to mislead respondents into thinking gun dealers in Illinois are unlicensed.

Professional polling groups have a reputation to maintain. Their various survey areas may cover a wide range: gun ownership, car brands, political viewpoints, and many more. If results are repeatedly unreliable commercial surveyors will lose business. Methods of data collection, raw data, and evaluation methods are often published.

Perhaps. The questions were clearly biased and preyed on the fact that most people would not know that federal law already requires gun dealers to be licensed. It's was meant to mislead respondents into thinking gun dealers in Illinois are unlicensed.

And "Should employees of gun dealers be required by law to have a background check?" Which subtly implants the assumption that background checks aren't already in place, when in fact employees must have a FOID which is checked daily by the ISP.

In your OP you quoted the poll as asking if gun dealers should be licensed by the state. The was nothing that said that they are not licensed at all. Pollsters are not required to educate responders on every aspect of a question. Polls on the economy, taxes, health care plans, politicians do not give responders extensive backgrounds on economics, health care, or political science. Responders have the choice to answer yes, no, no opinion, etc. or not answer at all. Most of us here would probably answer no, because we are aware of the FFL. Others would just refuse to answer and thus make it look like a higher percentage of Illinoisians favor state licensure of gun dealers than actually do.

Is the FOID checked daily?

How does that work?

Although that appears to be the prevailing opinion in different threads here, I may have misspoke. It would appear (as of 2012) they check nightly for Mental Health hits and or Domestic orders of protection. But it seems I do remember a thread here where proof was offered that the Database was checked daily through NICS... but as always, I could be wrong... just ask my wife :) :) :) As I understand it, a database file is much easier to check against the NICS database than one card at a time phone calls.

"Each night, ISP sends a file of active

cardholders and applicants to DHS to be

matched against the DHS-FOID database.

DHS conducts the match. Any matches are

reviewed by DHS and are faxed to ISP the

following morning. The match is based on

name and date of birth"

Here is the report PDF

In your OP you quoted the poll as asking if gun dealers should be licensed by the state. The was nothing that said that they are not licensed at all. Pollsters are not required to educate responders on every aspect of a question. Polls on the economy, taxes, health care plans, politicians do not give responders extensive backgrounds on economics, health care, or political science. Responders have the choice to answer yes, no, no opinion, etc. or not answer at all. Most of us here would probably answer no, because we are aware of the FFL. Others would just refuse to answer and thus make it look like a higher percentage of Illinoisians favor state licensure of gun dealers than actually do.

In theory, you're right. But, denying the question is designed to solicit a certain answer is simply vapid. Most people are not aware that dealers must be licensed. People are woefully unaware of gun law. Try to ship a gun via FedEx or travel with a gun in your checked luggage. You will be told all sorts of untrue things by people who should know better.

Archived