aka

You're talking about the light weight tube they use in relay races? If not...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/072000050K24-1.htm

720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or
(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or (etc..etc..)

Manadnock 21 inch.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/moausatisubl.html

Use at your own risk.

How many comply with blade length here?

When in D.C. I carried one in the car,never had a problem.

Different animals.

Aside from a few local municipal ordinances, blade length only comes into play if you intend to use the blade in an unlawful manner. Otherwise, carry whatever blade length you want.

I think batons are illegal regardless of intent.

ASP used to he the brand many PDs went with but dont know about now.

https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/products

edit: Thought legal to own but illegal to have/carry outside of home like stun gun used to be. Didnt think possible, but they created a more vague law than usual. At one point it is expressly defined as a billy club but only for one section.

ASP used to he the brand many PDs went with but dont know about now.https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/products

Thought legal to own but illegal to have/carry outside of home. Or maby made a FOID is required now.

Even possession is illegal... no FOID exception.

Yet, I've seen them openly for sale at various Gun Shows and stores. Including big name - national stores.

Get a Cold Steel City Stick and add a pointed brass hiking point to it under a rubber ferrule on the tip. It is much better than a baton, it is in-hand at all times, and it can be carried anywhere legally (particularly if you have a disability that requires a walking aid). If you have the time, you can pop the rubber tip off and you have, in essence, a short spear backed up by a mace-like club that is close to indestructible.

And if you find it inconvenient to have to lean it against things when you need to free up your hand, get a ring frog to put on your belt. You can slide the cane into the ring and take it out with great ease.

Against a knife, there is no better hand-to-hand weapon, and it is a very good time-buying self-defense tool until you can get to your defensive firearm.

Hi,

How ironic that it is legal to carry lethal items if licenced, but not less-than-lethal devices.

Only in Illinois...

Rich Phillips

I'd guess it's mainly because the baton is intended as a less than lethal option, but can be lethal if you use it incorrectly.

We had to go through quite a bit of asp training in the military before we were allowed to carry it for security duty.

I thought we had been through this a while back.

(13) Carries or possesses on or about his or her person while in a building occupied by a unit of government, a billy club, other weapon of like character, or other instrument of like character intended for use as a weapon. For the purposes of this Section, "billy club" means a short stick or club commonly carried by police officers which is either telescopic or constructed of a solid piece of wood or other man-made material.
A "billy club" is defined in the UUW statute quoted above. As you can see, it is illegal to carry one in a government building, unless exempted by statute (police, security, etc). Otherwise, it is only illegal to carry a "billy" club with INTENT to use it unlawfully against another:

(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character;
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt.+24&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68200000&SeqEnd=71400000An expandable (Asp) baton is not a bludgeon, it is a "billy club" by definition in the law. I hope this helps.

I had an expandale baton on my bicycle - put some brass eyelets into the nylon holster and mounted to frame at water bottle mount - an IL State Trooper noticed it. I told him I am not carrying it with intent to injure anyone - he let me go and complimented my awareness of the law.

I may or may not now carry a piece of 1" titanium tubing in the same fashion - much lighter although a but shorter overall. Also, much easier to keep clean and functional especially with this four seasons of bad weather.

I have an ASP collapsable baton. I don't carry it very much, mainly because I don't want to wear a Batman utility belt to carry all this crap. Gun, mags, knife, flashlight, etc...at some point you run out of room.

But prior to purchasing mine, I looked into the law and it's only illegal if you intend on using it in an illegal manner (commission of a crime sort of thing).

Get a Cold Steel City Stick and add a pointed brass hiking point to it under a rubber ferrule on the tip. It is much better than a baton, it is in-hand at all times, and it can be carried anywhere legally (particularly if you have a disability that requires a walking aid). If you have the time, you can pop the rubber tip off and you have, in essence, a short spear backed up by a mace-like club that is close to indestructible.

And if you find it inconvenient to have to lean it against things when you need to free up your hand, get a ring frog to put on your belt. You can slide the cane into the ring and take it out with great ease.

Against a knife, there is no better hand-to-hand weapon, and it is a very good time-buying self-defense tool until you can get to your defensive firearm.

Some nice links to some quality gear. Having been involved in the stick arts years back, but no longer being able to participate due to a wonky back & bad knee I need a cane to get around at times; http://www.canemasters.com/

Distance is your ally going against a blade. Odds are that cane will be used to shag off some stray barky mutt beforeit's needed against a felon with a knife.

I also just found this:

Solid Machined Aluminum Tactical Walking Canes

I called the gentleman who makes them yesterday and had a nice discussion with him about the black anodized and titanium canes that he has made, and he told me that if and when he gets enough requests he will run another batch of 200 of each. I think he said the anodized ones are $150 and the titanium ones are $345.

Since he is out of both of those, and I want me some of them badly, I am telling everyone about these and encouraging them to write him here and tell him that they want one, too!:

http://www.solidaluminumcane.com/contact-us

I have been using a City Stick for 10 years as a cane to help me through life after my diagnosis with MS. It was also my best means of self defense before concealed carry FINALLY came to Illinois.

Does that brass hiking tip you gave the link to actually fit onto the City Stick? It looks like it is threaded, and I didn't understand how if could be afixed to the City stick fiberglass shaft. If it can, I wil be looking to add one to to my super cane!

Thanks!

I have been using a City Stick for 10 years as a cane to help me through life after my diagnosis with MS. It was also my best means of self defense before concealed carry FINALLY came to Illinois.

Does that brass hiking tip you gave the link to actually fit onto the City Stick? It looks like it is threaded, and I didn't understand how if could be afixed to the City stick fiberglass shaft. If it can, I wil be looking to add one to to my super cane!

Thanks!

It is threaded. I had to taper the end on a lathe to get it to fit in correctly, then I just added some epoxy and set screws through the side of the brass tip. I used slightly longer ones and drilled out a recess for the points of the set screws to fit into, and I haven't had the brass tip come loose in the nearly 10 years I have had it.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just found this:

Solid Machined Aluminum Tactical Walking Canes

I called the gentleman who makes them yesterday and had a nice discussion with him about the black anodized and titanium canes that he has made, and he told me that if and when he gets enough requests he will run another batch of 200 of each. I think he said the anodized ones are $150 and the titanium ones are $345.

Since he is out of both of those, and I want me some of them badly, I am telling everyone about these and encouraging them to write him here and tell him that they want one, too!:

http://www.solidaluminumcane.com/contact-us

Those canes are very nice.

Archived