Texas Legislature passes "Disaster Carry", onto the Governor

mikew

https://nypost.com/2019/05/27/texas-bill-allows-residents-to-carry-guns-for-a-week-after-natural-disasters/

Texas bill allows residents to carry guns for a week after natural disasters

A new bill narrowly approved by the Texas Senate would allow residents of the state to carry handguns — open or concealed — for a full week in the wake of a natural disaster, according to a new report.

House Bill 1177 passed 16-15 Sunday night, and will land on the desk of Gov. Greg Abbott, the Dallas Morning News reported.

If he signs it into law, the bill would permit any Texan who can legally own firearms to carry their weapons for up to 168 hours after a state or natural disaster is declared, the paper reported.

-------more

Texas being known as a more gun friendly state than others, I'm shocked that they had a law against carry during national disasters.

They do not have a law against carry during natural disasters.

They have a Carry License law. Most people need a license to carry a handgun, and before there was such a license there was at least one situational exception (If I remember correctly) for travelers.

Today, if you have the license, you can carry a handgun during a natural disaster.

This new legislation, if signed by the governor, provides a situational exception for people who do not have the license, but are not barred from getting one.

(20 ILCS 3305/7) (from Ch. 127, par. 1057)

Sec. 7. Emergency Powers of the Governor. In the event of a disaster, as defined in Section 4, the Governor may, by proclamation declare that a disaster exists. Upon such proclamation, the Governor shall have and may exercise for a period not to exceed 30 days the following emergency powers; provided, however, that the lapse of the emergency powers shall not, as regards any act or acts occurring or committed within the 30-day period, deprive any person, firm, corporation, political subdivision, or body politic of any right or rights to compensation or reimbursement which he, she, it, or they may have under the provisions of this Act:

(9) To suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=368&ChapterID=5

Texas being known as a more gun friendly state than others, I'm shocked that they had a law against carry during national disasters.

They do not have a law against carry during natural disasters.

They have a Carry License law. Most people need a license to carry a handgun, and before there was such a license there was at least one situational exception (If I remember correctly) for travelers.

Today, if you have the license, you can carry a handgun during a natural disaster.

This new legislation, if signed by the governor, provides a situational exception for people who do not have the license, but are not barred from getting one.

thanks for clarifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile in Illinois, the governor has a right to ban guns and ammo during an emergency.

What the hey!!!? Is that for real???

Most states grant their governors the emergency powers to seize all weapons in private ownership.

The governor of the United States Virgin Islands ordered the National Guard to seize weapons during hurricane Irma in 2017 to "maintain public order." Much heat was generated in the press. The Guard never seized any.

All I know is that my FN49 in .30-06 will be my “emergency” rifle to guard my house in a catastrophe. Also, .30-06 has no problem slicing through body armor......

.....or non-reinforced concrete plus a German pot helmet. There is a reason they feared the mighty “ping”.

I have a German infantry training film where they have a captured Garand and they are showing all the things the ought-six could punch through. It is an interesting watch.

(20 ILCS 3305/7) (from Ch. 127, par. 1057)

Sec. 7. Emergency Powers of the Governor. In the event of a disaster, as defined in Section 4, the Governor may, by proclamation declare that a disaster exists. Upon such proclamation, the Governor shall have and may exercise for a period not to exceed 30 days the following emergency powers; provided, however, that the lapse of the emergency powers shall not, as regards any act or acts occurring or committed within the 30-day period, deprive any person, firm, corporation, political subdivision, or body politic of any right or rights to compensation or reimbursement which he, she, it, or they may have under the provisions of this Act:

(9) To suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=368&ChapterID=5

At least it would not affect FCCL holders. By definition we follow carry rules not transport rules.

^ this ***

Archived