Friend looking for inexpensive reliable 9mm

TRJ

5' 3" slender build female friend is looking for a reliable 9mm, but she's on a serious budget.

Want list...lightweight, small/adjustable grip, audible reset and smooth trigger. She has a P238 for carry...so a thumb safety is preferable.

Need to have decent aftermarket support for accessories.

I'm suggesting a S&W M&P9C that I saw for $389 online, but I think she can go cheaper and still get a great pistol. Other thoughts? I'd like to beat the price down below $300 if possible.

Mid/full size budget pistols to look at:

Canik TP9

Smith & Wesson SD9VE

The SD9VE will have a pretty crappy trigger, ~$60 in parts from Apex and it'll be ok. The Canik is a clone of the Walther PPQ and triggers are generally very crisp, but have a long takeup which makes it hard for some to shoot fast.

For a compact, Walther has been selling their PPS M2 9mm at under $300 at times which is a fantastic deal on a fantastic compact carry pistol. Frankly between the Shield, G43, and PPS, I think the PPS is the best shooting of the lot.

There's a compact that is a kinda neat little pistol but I have real hesitation to suggest it. The Bersa BP9CC... it's a really nice size little gun, but the trigger pull is TOO light for a defensive pistol. The ones I've tried were probably 3lbs or less. It's also got a kind of trigger shoe pivoting trigger that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling as far as something inadvertently brushing the trigger.

Check out the SAR B6P. It is a CZ 75 based gun that was imported by EAA. There is on on Armslist in Chicago for $350. Many on GunBroker for $300 or less. It is even available in pink if she is that kind of girl. I have one (not in pink) and it is a heck of a shooter for the money.

$275....Comes with 3 12rd magazines, Lakeline fixed steel sights installed, includes original adjustable rear and fixed front. Removable grip sleeve. I'll include 2 boxes of 124gr HST. Has had roughly 400 rounds through it with no issues. Will also throw in two single clip kydex IWB holsters and a leather OWB belt slide with thumb break. Rockford area.

post-15428-0-39222200-1527567103_thumb.jpg

Are you looking for a small pistol for carry or a midsize / full size for home/target practice etc?

She's got the P238 for carry, needs something for range/home use so midsize is more appropriate.

Take a look at the Canik TP9 types then, there are a couple variations that I'm not that familiar with the exact model numbers. It's definitely a full size pistol (18 round magazine) but the grip is relatively slim. I haven't shot the Canik, just looked at them, so I don't know if they are as snappy as the PPQ is.

Are you looking for a small pistol for carry or a midsize / full size for home/target practice etc?

She's got the P238 for carry, needs something for range/home use so midsize is more appropriate.

Take a look at the Canik TP9 types then, there are a couple variations that I'm not that familiar with the exact model numbers. It's definitely a full size pistol (18 round magazine) but the grip is relatively slim. I haven't shot the Canik, just looked at them, so I don't know if they are as snappy as the PPQ is.
They are clones of the Walther P99, so they will be available in Single Action, Dual Action only, or SA/DA with a decocker (Walther calls this their "anti stress trigger" and is unique for being the only striker fired DA/SA design I know of).

Smith and Wesson made this gun as the SW99 and Magnum Research made it as the MR9. The Smiths had issues with the polymer as these were very early Walther frames, the MR9 is good, the frame is made by Walther and the slide and barrel is made by Magnum Research (owned by Kahr Arms).

They have adjustable palms and factory 20 round magazines (although they don't look as good as Sigs 20 round). The MR9 might be a good one to look at due to its relative obscurity and less desirability.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773092019 just a random ad for a MR9 on gunbroker so the price is right at $350.

They all use the same p99/ppq mags (although I don't know if Canik does).

I carry a P99c for my EDC, it's a unique gun but to me it makes a lot of sense, everything from the option to fire the first shot SA or DA, being able to restrike a primer without recocking, chamber loaded indicator, and the visual/tactile striker in SA indicator. I'm also a fan of the original paddle mag release (ambidextrous without accidental mag releases) which is absent from the Canik.

If she likes the Sig another one to look at is the Arex Rex Zero 1. Probably above budget but still way less then a P226 and has a safety kind of in the same place as her p238.

I have smaller hands and arthritis, and the Shield was one of the hardest compact 9mms for me to rack. The grip was also large and uncomfortable to me.

I traded the Shield for a Walther PPS M2, which was easier to rack but the grip was still big for my hands. The Glock 42 and Sig P365 are both perfect fits for me.

I think a Ruger EC9s/LC9s sounds like a really good option considering your requirements if you are buying new.

My recommendations would be...

Taurus PT111 G2 (trigger takes some getting used to, but it's not bad once you do)

https://gun.deals/product/taurus-pt111-mil-pro-g2-9mm-bl-121-32158?mobile=true

Ruger SR9E (although this is probably on the bigger end for her hand size

https://gun.deals/product/ruger-sr9-standard-double-9mm-41-171-blued-defenderoutdoorscom-24999-0

SAR B6C/B6PC (All the listings on gun.deals are a little over $300, but they routinely come up for under $300)

https://gun.deals/product/sar-arms-b6c-stainless-compact-9mm-38-13rd-31899?mobile=true

Tristar C-100 (This is a CZ-75 Compact clone. A little over $300, but well worth it. Out of all of my recommendations, this is the one I'd give the highest marks. Some CZ aftermarket accessories will fit it because it's close enough of a clone, but not ALL will)

https://gun.deals/product/tristar-c-100-85009-9mm-35-barrel-13-rnds-low-327-tax-your-local-dealer?mobile=true

I didn't really take aftermarket availability into acciunt, as I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.

SAR K2P. For a $300 handgun it has quite possibly one of the most comfortable ergos in my entire collection. Cheap, reliable, and fits my smaller hand like a dream. They are worth checking out for sure.

3b247581d90a162bb34db1972f6a6a76.jpg

This is an awesome option. I didn't list it because I wasn't sure how it would fit smaller hands. If it fits smaller hands well, this is definitely a good option.

Of all the pistols in my collection, my wife likes this little guy the best. She says she just like the way it “feels”. I have to agree...I cannot really describe it, but this one just feels good in the hand. Comes with Mecgar mags, and eats anything you feed it including Russian steel case. For the money, it’s highly undervalued in my opinion. When we have range days it always goes along with the pistols that cost 3-5 times as much...it’s just a great little gun.

She should go see what feels good in her hand first, and then select what she can afford after that. Maybe if she finds "the one", it will motivate her to save up a bit more.

I was hoping to give her a list to shop against so she doesn't waste time grabbing for $600 pistols when she goes to rent and fondle at the LGS. Scratching up $300 is an excercise in sacrifice for this individual.

She should go see what feels good in her hand first, and then select what she can afford after that. Maybe if she finds "the one", it will motivate her to save up a bit more.

I was hoping to give her a list to shop against so she doesn't waste time grabbing for $600 pistols when she goes to rent and fondle at the LGS. Scratching up $300 is an excercise in sacrifice for this individual.

See that's the rub.

It's never just 300 and done.

There's accessories, ammo, range time, classes, home safes, car safes, additional customization, additional siblings to her new adoption, more ammo, matching shoes to her EDC etc...

It's a never ending hole. \_(ツ)_/

See that's the rub.

It's never just 300 and done.

There's accessories, ammo, range time, classes, home safes, car safes, additional customization, additional siblings to her new adoption, more ammo, matching shoes to her EDC etc...

It's a never ending hole. \_(ツ)_/

Sure. But there's birthdays and gift giving holidays... there's guest passes to my shooting club... other ways for people to aquire things. It all starts somewhere, where it goes and how it gets there are peripheral to getting started.

Hey TRJ - Gamma mentioned above the Smith and Wesson SD9VE. I'm glad he did because I forgot that I had one in the safe. It holds 16 rounds, has a 4" barrel and a crappy trigger. Although since I read his post, I do have an Apex trigger and spring kit coming to change mine out.

The gun does shoot nice and is easy to handle. I would have her look at this gun also. I think Brownell's has them for $259 right now. When I got mine, it was one of those deals you couldn't pass up. It was on sale for $199. I really do have to stop looking at these sales.

KING

Hey TRJ - Gamma mentioned above the Smith and Wesson SD9VE. I'm glad he did because I forgot that I had one in the safe. It holds 16 rounds, has a 4" barrel and a crappy trigger. Although since I read his post, I do have an Apex trigger and spring kit coming to change mine out.

The gun does shoot nice and is easy to handle. I would have her look at this gun also. I think Brownell's has them for $259 right now. When I got mine, it was one of those deals you couldn't pass up. It was on sale for $199. I really do have to stop looking at these sales.

KING

I was wondering just how bad the trigger is on that one.

KING

I was wondering just how bad the trigger is on that one.

I don't think it's terrible, but there is a long trigger pull, long reset and it's about an 8 lb pull.

With the Apex trigger and spring kit, it's suppose to take the pull down to about 5.5 lbs. which is the same as a Glock. Plus the long pull and reset are supposed to be shortened.

I'll let you know when I change mine out. Unless someone else here has already done one and wants to chime in.

Archived