Moms marching from Indiana to Illinois to spotlight ease of gun trafficking

InterestedBystander

Full story at link...(so, an IL law is going to affect private sales from IN to IL???)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-moms-demand-action-march-indiana-illinois-20191025-4rbqtvxgbjd75ohgcqzcrlgbni-story.html

Moms marching from Indiana to Illinois to spotlight ease of gun trafficking: I want to bring purpose to (my sons) death

Marie Fazio

The day before her oldest child was shot and killed, Brenda Mitchell remembers looking up at a blazing sky and thanking God for all she had.

The following morning, Mitchell said she got a call: Her son was lying in the street with a sheet over his body.

I stopped and prayed that God didnt change the way that I viewed the world, Mitchell said, recalling the events of nearly 15 years ago. I changed, but not in the way I would think.

On Saturday morning, Mitchell will march with other members of Moms Demand Action from Indiana to Illinois to highlight how easily guns are trafficked across state lines. The group will gather at 9:30 a.m. at Wolf Lake Memorial Park in Hamond and walk about 3 1/2 miles to Calumet Beach State Park. Anyone can join the march.

We want the killings to stop, Mitchell said. Enough. Not one more. We want others to understand whats happening in our community."

For moms who have lost children to gun violence, groups such as Moms Demand Action provide support and a way to get involved in local and nationwide activism, Mitchell said. We need a purpose bigger than our pain, she said. Its important to do what we can so other moms dont deal with this pain.

Nearly 60% of guns recovered in Chicago come from out-of-state dealers, with more than 20% traced back to Indiana, according to a 2017 Gun Trace Report.

The moms hope their walk will pressure the Illinois Senate to act on a bill that would impose new background check requirements when guns are transferred between private parties, Mitchell said. It passed the House in February. This law has the potential to save a life, she said.

Valerie Burgest, a volunteer with Moms Demand Action Illinois, said she believes that closing this loophole in gun sales is a first step in stopping the violence. Also a survivor mom, she said her sons murder is still an open investigation and she cant say where the gun came from. But given the statistics, she thinks theres a good chance the weapon was trafficked from another state.

To me the impact on families and the impact on the communities is obvious, Burgest said. How are we going to stem the violence if we cant stop the guns coming into our state.

Burgests son, Craig Williams, would have turned 30 this year. She insists on using the present tense when talking about him because hes still right here with me, she said, gesturing to her heart.

He was shot seven years ago while leaving a store after buying snacks, leaving behind two young sons. Hes my only child, that loss for me is ... she said. Her words trailed off. Im broken, Im never going to heal. But I can channel my pain.

While she marches Saturday, Mitchell said shes going to reflect on her journey with Moms Demand Action. She said her son would be honored that shes moved past her pain to make a difference.

This is my reality, my reality is tough, she said. Walking those 3.7 miles is going to be easy.

Moms Demand Action was formed by Shannon Watts, a mother of five in Zionsville, Ind., after a gunman walked into the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December 2012 and fatally shot 20 children.

Originally only a Facebook group where moms could discuss gun safety, the group expanded into chapters across the United States, an online conversation quickly becoming an offline movement. The group holds events to promote gun safety awareness, lobbies for policies and brings together survivor moms.

"Mothers are mobilize-able, Watts said in a recent interview, comparing the momentum of the group to MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) in the 1980s. Were all moms. Its almost like a sisterhood among all of us. Here we are this badass group of women taking on one of the toughest special interests.

We are afraid our children will be taken away and thats what drives us every day, not just to protect our own families or our own communities but everybodys kids, she continued, adding that Moms Demand Action is not anti-gun, just anti-gun violence.

Mitchell said Moms Demand Action has been a life changer."

When were in a room together, we understand each other, no words need to be said," Mitchell said. We know the seriousness of the work that we have to do.

Mitchell and others in the group plan to walk across the state line periodically in the future, until the law has changed. Well continue," she said. "We wont stop because it has to stop.

Trafficking in firearms would seem to mean that you bring firearms in from one state to another, yes?

So are these moms going to purchase firearms in Indiana and then walk them across the border and sell them to someone?

As stated above as I was typing, marching, walking, running, driving or flying across a border does not mean it’s that easy to traffic in firearms!

And once again we have no one to counter this claim of easy of trafficking!

So the media will soak it all in and no one will ask the burning question and the reason they are marching, where’s the firearms?

If their point is that you can travel while in possession of a firearm well, yeah, you can do that if you're legal to possess it in both states. Walking, driving, traveling by any means with your belongings should never be illegal.

I had impression that they think it is legal to do a private sale from IN resident to IL resident with no BG check or they know better but thats what they want people to believe.

If their point is that you can travel while in possession of a firearm well, yeah, you can do that if you're legal to possess it in both states. Walking, driving, traveling by any means with your belongings should never be illegal.

I had impression that they think it is legal to do a private sale from IN resident to IL resident with no BG check or they know better but thats what they want people to believe.

I'm sure their leadership knows better. It was anti-gun groups that pushed passage of HB6303 in the 99th GA, creating the offense of Firearm Trafficking and establishing penalties for engaging in it.

Of course, some of their ilk complained at the time, because language was added allowing out-of-state people to still be able to travel in Illinois with their firearms if otherwise legal to do so.

Things that are not in the Constitution

As the Supreme Court notes in Saenz v Roe, 98-97 (1999), the Constitution does not contain the word "travel" in any context, let alone an explicit right to travel (except for members of Congress, who are guaranteed the right to travel to and from Congress). The presumed right to travel, however, is firmly established in U.S. law and precedent. In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, "It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized." In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that "it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, ... it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." It is interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

Condolences to the families, and may the Almighty grant them peace.

However, this so called march won't do diddly. It's a case of "Lookit me!!!! I'm sad, and this bunch of America-haters are saying I can do something!!!!"

What, there isn't enough recent blood on the street for these MDA-I vultures in (near) human form to dance in? They have to drag up shootings from how far back to showcase their deplorable actions? Then troll like bass for the families to participate to justify their travesty of propaganda? Disgusting.

I like the fluff piece of offal the article author drops in...calling MDA a Facebook grassroots discussion forum to start off as. Sharron (Dimbulb) Watts put together this whole thing as a product to sell to Bloomturd to make money at. She was a public relations hack for Monsanto for years, telling people that RoundUp wouldn't cause cancer, I believe. She figured she'd need a new job, sometime. How much does Bloomie pay each month to be the face of astroturf, dearie?

Talk about the lack of integrity in journalism. How much was the check from Bloomie, Ms Fazio?

Things that are not in the Constitution

As the Supreme Court notes in Saenz v Roe, 98-97 (1999), the Constitution does not contain the word "travel" in any context, let alone an explicit right to travel (except for members of Congress, who are guaranteed the right to travel to and from Congress). The presumed right to travel, however, is firmly established in U.S. law and precedent. In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, "It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized." In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that "it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, ... it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." It is interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

The original language in Illinois' trafficking law assumed it would be understood that People v Holmes would control. IllinoisCarry strongly urged inclusion of language clarifying that intent. The legislature graciously accommodated our request.

These minivan moms are either complete idiots, or they know exactly what they're doing, lying to the other gullible soccer moms..

Unbelievable!

How long has it been illegal to make a private firearm transaction to someone from another state?? It was made illegal some time in the 60's from what I know..

How long has it been illegal to make a private firearm transaction to someone from another state?? It was made illegal some time in the 60's from what I know..

The Gun Control Act of 1968 established the system of FFLs as we understand it today for interstate commerce. It was spurred by the assassinations of JFK, MLK, and RFK. Lee Harvey Oswald, in particular, bought 2 rifles and a .38 revolver by mail-order, direct to a PO box in TX from CA and IL, including the rifle he used to kill JFK. There is, of course, no reason to believe an FFL transfer would have stopped him, but here we are, anyway.

Full story at link...(so, an IL law is going to affect private sales from IN to IL???)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-moms-demand-action-march-indiana-illinois-20191025-4rbqtvxgbjd75ohgcqzcrlgbni-story.html

Moms marching from Indiana to Illinois to spotlight ease of gun trafficking: I want to bring purpose to (my sons) death

Marie Fazio

The day before her oldest child was shot and killed, Brenda Mitchell remembers looking up at a blazing sky and thanking God for all she had.

The following morning, Mitchell said she got a call: Her son was lying in the street with a sheet over his body.

I stopped and prayed that God didnt change the way that I viewed the world, Mitchell said, recalling the events of nearly 15 years ago. I changed, but not in the way I would think.

On Saturday morning, Mitchell will march with other members of Moms Demand Action from Indiana to Illinois to highlight how easily guns are trafficked across state lines. The group will gather at 9:30 a.m. at Wolf Lake Memorial Park in Hamond and walk about 3 1/2 miles to Calumet Beach State Park. Anyone can join the march.

We want the killings to stop, Mitchell said. Enough. Not one more. We want others to understand whats happening in our community."

For moms who have lost children to gun violence, groups such as Moms Demand Action provide support and a way to get involved in local and nationwide activism, Mitchell said. We need a purpose bigger than our pain, she said. Its important to do what we can so other moms dont deal with this pain.

Nearly 60% of guns recovered in Chicago come from out-of-state dealers, with more than 20% traced back to Indiana, according to a 2017 Gun Trace Report.

The moms hope their walk will pressure the Illinois Senate to act on a bill that would impose new background check requirements when guns are transferred between private parties, Mitchell said. It passed the House in February. This law has the potential to save a life, she said.

Valerie Burgest, a volunteer with Moms Demand Action Illinois, said she believes that closing this loophole in gun sales is a first step in stopping the violence. Also a survivor mom, she said her sons murder is still an open investigation and she cant say where the gun came from. But given the statistics, she thinks theres a good chance the weapon was trafficked from another state.

To me the impact on families and the impact on the communities is obvious, Burgest said. How are we going to stem the violence if we cant stop the guns coming into our state.

Burgests son, Craig Williams, would have turned 30 this year. She insists on using the present tense when talking about him because hes still right here with me, she said, gesturing to her heart.

He was shot seven years ago while leaving a store after buying snacks, leaving behind two young sons. Hes my only child, that loss for me is ... she said. Her words trailed off. Im broken, Im never going to heal. But I can channel my pain.

While she marches Saturday, Mitchell said shes going to reflect on her journey with Moms Demand Action. She said her son would be honored that shes moved past her pain to make a difference.

This is my reality, my reality is tough, she said. Walking those 3.7 miles is going to be easy.

Moms Demand Action was formed by Shannon Watts, a mother of five in Zionsville, Ind., after a gunman walked into the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December 2012 and fatally shot 20 children.

Originally only a Facebook group where moms could discuss gun safety, the group expanded into chapters across the United States, an online conversation quickly becoming an offline movement. The group holds events to promote gun safety awareness, lobbies for policies and brings together survivor moms.

"Mothers are mobilize-able, Watts said in a recent interview, comparing the momentum of the group to MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) in the 1980s. Were all moms. Its almost like a sisterhood among all of us. Here we are this badass group of women taking on one of the toughest special interests.

We are afraid our children will be taken away and thats what drives us every day, not just to protect our own families or our own communities but everybodys kids, she continued, adding that Moms Demand Action is not anti-gun, just anti-gun violence.

When were in a room together, we understand each other, no words need to be said," Mitchell said. We know the seriousness of the work that we have to do.

Mitchell and others in the group plan to walk across the state line periodically in the future, until the law has changed. Well continue," she said. "We wont stop because it has to stop.

This march highlights the ease of human trafficking since people can pass the borders unimpeded.

The legislation they are pushing would have ZERO legal effect upon the actions they are ostensibly protesting.

The purchase of a firearm in Indiana is NOT in ANY WAY affected by an Illinois law.

The Illinois law is literally "out of it's jurisdiction".

First step - obtain a fraudulent resident of Indiana ID (that can pass a background check in the case of a gun show sale)

Second step - obtain a "parking lot" sale without being arrested in a sting.

edit - these marchers are the embodiment of useful idiots.

Full story at link...(so, an IL law is going to affect private sales from IN to IL???)https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-moms-demand-action-march-indiana-illinois-20191025-4rbqtvxgbjd75ohgcqzcrlgbni-story.html

Marie Fazio

This march highlights the ease of human trafficking since people can pass the borders unimpeded.

They are a special interest group created and financed by Bloomberg and unknowingly push his agenda. They are in denial and blaming loopholes and guns instead of the people who are committing the murders and nothing will change.

Usually browser private mode gets me in but the trib has been playing with new blocking techniques lately so it can sometimes require extra finagling.

If you use Chrome, use the 'Quick Javascript Switcher' extention, toggle javascript off for the Tribune or whatever site to bypass many paywall, albeit turning off javascript many times will kill videos and sometimes images.

• 2 weeks later...

They are marching in my neighborhood. Maybe they will have a hard time marching over the border with the steady stream of Illinois residents moving the other way out of Illinois.

They should do this at noon on Saturday in the summer. That way they can see how much more gang infested Cal Park is than Indiana. My cop friend took an uzi off a guy there last summer.

I left my church because of their anti gun doctrine. Early this year in a mens Saturday get together I was told by a supporter of MDA that they are not trying to take away ” my guns”. I said of course you are, destroying gun rights is the end game of all anti gunners. My minister tells new members that the church believes no civilian should have access to hand guns. They are completely on board with

Bloomberg and his Moms. Moms, schools, churches and politicians, that’s a formidable enemy we’re up against.

Archived