CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Data as of 1 Aug 2017

kwc

As of the end of the day on Jul 31, 2017, there were 255,272 active FCCLs and 2,189,502 active FOID cards. The Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB) had a backlog of 2,017 applications in the queue for review.

The first attachment below was obtained via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Illinois State Police. In addition to the totals just mentioned, this document includes a table that captures the current cumulative totals for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses (CCLs) issued to nonresidents and residents since the program began. Note that these totals represent the total number ever ISSUED, and are not adjusted for those that have since been revoked or cancelled. This table also includes totals for CCLs that have been denied, revoked, or are currently awaiting action from the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB).

The second attachment contains a trend analysis based on prior FOIA requests. Raw/calculated data are in the table, followed by some rudimentary graphs that paint a visual picture of where we've been and where we stand today.

For those tracking the CCLRB backlog, note that it rose in June and dropped again in July.

Unfortunately, the average number of new CCL applications per day is at a 2-year low, and perhaps the lowest ever. (My records go back to June 2015.)

Questions, please ask.

FOIA - CCL FOID CCLRB - 1 Aug 2017.pdf

CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Trend Analysis - 1 Aug 2017.pdf

If Illinois CCL wasnt so expensive to get and requiring two days of training that people cant take off for there would be a much higher number!

And for residents of the four substantially similar states, the cost and training really make things difficult.

If neighboring states qualified, the nonresident numbers would skyrocket.

If Illinois CCL wasnt so expensive to get and requiring two days of training that people cant take off for there would be a much higher number!

This is where I am at. I could afford it, but the training time has been an impediment. Plus I could rarely carry anyway with a park out my back door and work having policies against it. I do field work, often in bad areas, using a company vehicle. I'd get fired immediately if I carried.

This is great to hear! All of the researchers that I have talked to on this subject were predicting that it would take quite 5–7 years to reach 250,000, and that the number would level off around that amount. We reached that number 3.5 years into having CCLs and it appears as if the number of applicants and approved CCLs is keeping steady or even increasing monthly.

This is a prediction that I'm happy has proven the analysis and models completely wrong!

• 4 weeks later...

I think the two biggest reasons for the low totals after 3.5 years are the expense and the fact you can't carry on public transportation. All those people in the city who must take PT every day to and from work and pay the exorbitant costs of a CCL and you have a whole crew of people who say... ahh the heck with it. Carry on Public transportation is the first thing I would like to see changed.

I was able to download the first file, however, it downloads as 0 KB in size and thus I am unable to open it etc. Can potentially look into Google Documents, or filesharing program like wetransfer.com. I use wetransfer for work often, however, without a paid account, links of documents will only be available for 7 days.

Very frustrating... I wish we could resolve the issue on this forum that prevents some files from being uploaded and/or downloaded.

I put a copy on my server here:

http://morsel.info/public/FOIA - CCL FOID CCLRB - 1 Aug 2017.pdf

Please let me know if this works for you.

I was able to download the first file, however, it downloads as 0 KB in size and thus I am unable to open it etc. Can potentially look into Google Documents, or filesharing program like wetransfer.com. I use wetransfer for work often, however, without a paid account, links of documents will only be available for 7 days.

Very frustrating... I wish we could resolve the issue on this forum that prevents some files from being uploaded and/or downloaded.

I put a copy on my server here:

http://morsel.info/public/FOIA - CCL FOID CCLRB - 1 Aug 2017.pdf

Please let me know if this works for you.

Was able to download it (and view the content) successfully. Thanks very much, kwc.

With 12.8 million people in Illinois, a quarter million licensed to carry is still a minuscule amount. Having less than 2% of the population licensed, and certainly a lesser number actually carrying at any given time is clearly not enough to create a deterrent effect on criminals. On the other hand, it allows those of us that carry daily to be even more invisible and give us a greater element of surprise if we actually ever need to draw and/or use our concealed firearm. I've often wondered what the percentage needs to be before the average dumb but devious criminal starts to change their behavior out of concern that they will be shot or stopped by an armed civilian. Still, five years ago I would have said that legal concealed carry would not come to Illinois in my lifetime and here I am carrying for the last three and a half years. And living outside Chicago I find it rare that I have to leave my firearm home or locked in my car.

Archived