Two Years: My Experience with Carrying

soylentgreen

My license was issued just about two years ago. I've learned a lot from trial-and-error and from listening to experts and talking to members here.

1) The police: I've had a few casual contacts with police while carrying. In all cases, I did not inform. I've come to think this is a very important right that's in the Illinois law. In one incident, I was helping a woman who had been the victim of a hit-and-run. I called the police and stayed with her until he arrived. I told him what I saw and then left. I didn't reveal that I was carrying. I didn't think it relevant and he didn't ask.

2) Clean your carry gun often: Even if you don't go to the range. I'm normally carrying a Glock 19 most of the time. It's a modern firearm. It's famous for reliability. Some police officers I know claim they clean their Glock once a year. They don't clean it after each range session. They've reported no problems. I see a lot of internet videos claiming Glocks are reliable even without lube. I don't subscribe to any of this. Properly lube and clean your gun often. If you're ever in a shootout with a bad guy, you don't want your equipment to be in disrepair. I've started using synthetic grease by Battle Born. Regular gun oil doesn't seem to be adequate for everyday carry. I've found that it drips out of the gun when carried in the muzzle down position. Grease seems to stay where you put it. That means less mess and your gun stays properly lubricated. After carrying for a month, I find dust bunnies in my trigger linkage at the back of the frame. Probably these don't hinder performance, but why take a chance? I also found a lot of dust obscuring my front sight.

3) Buy a high-quality holster and inspect if frequently: Don't cheap out here. It's likely if you're serious about this, you have a gun that's worth at least $400. Don't buy a cheap $20 holster for it. I like some of the kydex shell holsters. Stealthgear makes some excellent stuff. With the Glock, I use a Kydex shell with belt loop from Leatherneck. Simple and good. Not too expensive, but sturdy. I have not had good luck with belt clips. I've replaced all my clips with loops that surround the belt completely and solidly. If your holster has any screws, use a little thread locker on them once you get it situated. You don't want it coming loose.

4) Use a good belt: Buy a belt specifically-designed for carrying that's reinforced. There are a lot of options out there. I have a few. My favorite is from MTR Custom Leather. It is a custom thick bull hide leather with steel reinforcements. It takes 8 weeks to get and they're not cheap, but well worth it.

5) Carry EVERY DAY: Almost every violent encounter against innocent citizens happens without provocation or warning. Do you want to find yourself in a situation on the day you decided to leave the gun at home?

6) I can't make appendix carry work: I'm 6'4" and about 205lb. That's not fat. But, even with a holster designed for appendix carry, it's intolerable. Sitting and bending over are nearly impossible. My hands are pretty big and I don't want to go with a smaller gun. I imagine people have fewer issues with smaller weapons. If you're going to appendix carry, you first need a smaller gun...and to get over the fear of shooting yourself in the junk.

7) Sights: I bought TFX Tru Glo sights for all my carry weapons. That way everything I have has the same sight picture and they're visible in all lighting conditions. I think having good sights could be a major advantage over a bad guy...especially for those of us in our 40s and beyond.

8) Get more training: Nuff said. No one knows everything.

9) Get a lawyer: Especially if you live, work, or carry in Cook. I've learned a lot here. If you don't have an "existing relationship" with counsel, the police may not allow you access to your preferred lawyer for 24 hours. After an incident, I think the first 24 hours is critical in determining your innocence. I do not want to be represented by a public defender during that period who may be overworked, anti-gun (or indifferent), or ignorant of the gun laws. Also, your lawyer has the best advice on what to say and what not to say after an incident. The standard responses offered by the USCCA and others may not be the greatest. For instance...they say you should tell the police something like "I did what I had to do to neutralize the threat". I say never even admit to them that you shot the bad guy. Just say "That guy did blah blah" and "That guy was shot".

Always good to read feedback. All good points. I have a friend that was probably one of the first in Illinois to get the ccl and he rarely carries. I cannot comprehend it. Why would you even go through the trouble if you're never gonna carry. I always tell him that when you need it, it probably won't be there, or you're gonna fumble it or get it snatched away from the bad guy.

Good info. In a few days I will be at the 30 day mark. It's been an adjustment to say the least.... Such as

1) Making sure to be aware of the GF zones and signs

2) I carry a Ruger SP101 2" J-frame in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Just learning how to sit in the car of a chair for that matter without the gun reminding me its there

3) Learning how to Hug low and force the others to go high, so they don't feel my gun. (screwed that one up a time or two).

4) And my FAVORITE!!! Learning how to hold your pants while using the "facilities" so your gun isn't in view from the stall.

otherwise, we're good!!!

Good info. In a few days I will be at the 30 day mark. It's been an adjustment to say the least.... Such as

1) Making sure to be aware of the GF zones and signs

2) I carry a Ruger SP101 2" J-frame in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Just learning how to sit in the car of a chair for that matter without the gun reminding me its there

3) Learning how to Hug low and force the others to go high, so they don't feel my gun. (screwed that one up a time or two).

4) And my FAVORITE!!! Learning how to hold your pants while using the "facilities" so your gun isn't in view from the stall.

otherwise, we're good!!!

Haha...#4. Same.

I looked at supertuck...it just seemed too stiff and non-breathable. But, it's a seriously good-quality piece. I spent more for the Stealthgear, but the concept is essentially the same...but it breathes.

Always good to read feedback. All good points. I have a friend that was probably one of the first in Illinois to get the ccl and he rarely carries. I cannot comprehend it. Why would you even go through the trouble if you're never gonna carry. I always tell him that when you need it, it probably won't be there, or you're gonna fumble it or get it snatched away from the bad guy.

Agreed. One of the biggest advantages a predator has over you is the element of surprise. And they leverage it big time.

This is a great post, thanks for sharing! Some of my thoughts are below.

My license was issued just about two years ago. I've learned a lot from trial-and-error and from listening to experts and talking to members here.

1) The police: I've had a few casual contacts with police while carrying. In all cases, I did not inform. I've come to think this is a very important right that's in the Illinois law. In one incident, I was helping a woman who had been the victim of a hit-and-run. I called the police and stayed with her until he arrived. I told him what I saw and then left. I didn't reveal that I was carrying. I didn't think it relevant and he didn't ask.

I'm guessing that police have to assume that everyone is armed all the time, and if you are just helping at an incident like this they don't need or want to know. If I was being pulled over or otherwise questioned, I would probably tell them though.

3) Buy a high-quality holster and inspect if frequently: Don't cheap out here. It's likely if you're serious about this, you have a gun that's worth at least $400. Don't buy a cheap $20 holster for it. I like some of the kydex shell holsters. Stealthgear makes some excellent stuff. With the Glock, I use a Kydex shell with belt loop from Leatherneck. Simple and good. Not too expensive, but sturdy. I have not had good luck with belt clips. I've replaced all my clips with loops that surround the belt completely and solidly. If your holster has any screws, use a little thread locker on them once you get it situated. You don't want it coming loose.

I have had good luck and bad luck with inexpensive holsters. On one of the "bad luck" holsters, I ended up buying a similar DeSantis that I really like for just a few dollars more.

4) Use a good belt: Buy a belt specifically-designed for carrying that's reinforced. There are a lot of options out there. I have a few. My favorite is from MTR Custom Leather. It is a custom thick bull hide leather with steel reinforcements. It takes 8 weeks to get and they're not cheap, but well worth it.

I agree, I wear my Hank's belts every day.

5) Carry EVERY DAY: Almost every violent encounter against innocent citizens happens without provocation or warning. Do you want to find yourself in a situation on the day you decided to leave the gun at home?

This takes some getting used to, but once you do you'll feel naked without your gun! I have thought about this a lot, when you watch crime reports they rarely happen on a lonely street or a dark alley. They happen in the places we visit and shop every day, like you said without warning.

6) I can't make appendix carry work: I'm 6'4" and about 205lb. That's not fat. But, even with a holster designed for appendix carry, it's intolerable. Sitting and bending over are nearly impossible. My hands are pretty big and I don't want to go with a smaller gun. I imagine people have fewer issues with smaller weapons. If you're going to appendix carry, you first need a smaller gun...and to get over the fear of shooting yourself in the junk.

I'm a smaller guy so appendix carry suits me well. But everyone is different and finding the right fit and method of carry takes some patience and experimentation.

8) Get more training: Nuff said. No one knows everything.

I'm going to get a Utah license instead of Florida. I think the costs work out about the same between the training and fees in the two states, but with Utah you need four hours of training that Florida doesn't require. I figure I'll take all the classroom training I can get, and I want to take more shooting training too.

9) Get a lawyer: Especially if you live, work, or carry in Cook. I've learned a lot here. If you don't have an "existing relationship" with counsel, the police may not allow you access to your preferred lawyer for 24 hours. After an incident, I think the first 24 hours is critical in determining your innocence. I do not want to be represented by a public defender during that period who may be overworked, anti-gun (or indifferent), or ignorant of the gun laws. Also, your lawyer has the best advice on what to say and what not to say after an incident. The standard responses offered by the USCCA and others may not be the greatest. For instance...they say you should tell the police something like "I did what I had to do to neutralize the threat". I say never even admit to them that you shot the bad guy. Just say "That guy did blah blah" and "That guy was shot".

I don't have a relationship with a lawyer but this post reminds me that I need to do that. The best advice is to lawyer up first thing, and don't make a statement until you have had time to calm down. Police unions fought to be able to give their officers up to 72 hours to make statements after a shooting incident, and I believe regular citizens should be afforded the same benefit.

10) Support gun groups and actively solicit your state representatives (antis and pro-2nd) to preserve our rights.

That goes without saying. I must have the only pro-gun state reps in Cook. Tom Morrison even personally called me to discuss an email I sent to his office. He said he agreed completely with everything I said. We do have some allies.

I'm also a life member of the NRA and have been for a decade.

One other thing I've learned...no one will know you're carrying a gun. Even if you do it badly! Although, I recommend doing it well. No one is looking at you. No one is wondering if you're carrying a gun. Once you get over your paranoia that people are looking at you, you'll feel natural...and be more stealth. The gray man. Also...carrying sure does improve your posture!! LOL.

After a few years of carrying I've come to find I don't care if someone hugs me and finds a pistol on my side, it's not the end of the world if I'm printing, most people who aren't in the realm of conceal carry find it hard to believe you can do that/you can carry here or there/that you can carry whatever you want.

I showed my card to a sheriffs deputy when he pulled me over for speeding... his warning included a thank you on sharing the info and a lecture that if I am concerned enough to carry a sidearm to protect my family then I might want to consider slowing down to protect them as well.

Dust bunnies, dirt, sawdust, and sweat causes you to need to clean your sidearm more often,

+1 on joining the NRA - IMHO every gun owner should. They are FAR from perfect and NO I don't agree with all their positions, but they ARE the biggest dog out there protecting our rights.

+1000000 on joining one of the major legal protection groups like CCW Safe (my choice) USCCA, the new NRA plan...whatever. Just having that card in my wallet gives me a measure of peace of mind that is invaluable.

+1 on joining the NRA - IMHO every gun owner should. They are FAR from perfect and NO I don't agree with all their positions, but they ARE the biggest dog out there protecting our rights.

+1000000 on joining one of the major legal protection groups like CCW Safe (my choice) USCCA, the new NRA plan...whatever. Just having that card in my wallet gives me a measure of peace of mind that is invaluable.

Agreed. Not perfect. But I think we'd be throwing rocks if not for the NRA.

I only carried on Saturday and Sunday the first year I had my FCCL. I rode Metra to and from the loop and the bus from Union Station to the office and back and didn't want to deal with switching between carrying and transporting. Since working at home I carry everyday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

After a few years of carrying I've come to find I don't care if someone hugs me and finds a pistol on my side, it's not the end of the world if I'm printing, most people who aren't in the realm of conceal carry find it hard to believe you can do that/you can carry here or there/that you can carry whatever you want.

I showed my card to a sheriffs deputy when he pulled me over for speeding... his warning included a thank you on sharing the info and a lecture that if I am concerned enough to carry a sidearm to protect my family then I might want to consider slowing down to protect them as well.

Dust bunnies, dirt, sawdust, and sweat causes you to need to clean your sidearm more often,

+1. I'm doing nothing illegal. If someone hugs me and feels it? Most would think it was a phone or something. The one belief I have is that NO ONE NOTICES OR CARES! They just don't. They are too busy with their lives and their phones and their tablets.

+1. I'm doing nothing illegal. If someone hugs me and feels it? Most would think it was a phone or something. The one belief I have is that NO ONE NOTICES OR CARES! They just don't. They are too busy with their lives and their phones and their tablets.

To add to this, I used to carry a Shield because it was small and not noticeable. Recently I've started carrying a full size M&P 9mm with absolutely no change in how I dress. I conceal the gun and a reload under just a t-shirt. Nobody notices it either and it doesn't really bulge any more than the Shield did.

I think people are far too self conscious about about printing while carrying, so they carry much smaller guns or dress in a very particular way. Honestly, the easiest people to spot who are carrying are the ones who are wearing oversized button up shirts, cargo/tactical pants or shorts, and are constantly touching the bulge on their hip.

So my take away is to be less self conscious. Nobody notices and nobody cares.

Before anyone gets too blase' about printing... yes there are people who notice. Some of those people are LE officers, others of those people are bad guys, and some are just very attentive (sometimes kids who will say something).

And lest anyone get too overconfident about bad guys noticing that you are carrying... some of those might well be confident enough to try to steal your gun, given the chance. It's happened to open carriers mostly. My point is just to not be overconfident that readily discernible printing has no consequences.

Before anyone gets too blase' about printing... yes there are people who notice. Some of those people are LE officers, others of those people are bad guys, and some are just very attentive (sometimes kids who will say something).

And lest anyone get too overconfident about bad guys noticing that you are carrying... some of those might well be confident enough to try to steal your gun, given the chance. It's happened to open carriers mostly. My point is just to not be overconfident that readily discernible printing has no consequences.

The people acting all self conscious about carrying are the ones easy to spot.

The people acting all self conscious about carrying are the ones easy to spot.

The people carrying OWB at 4 oclock, wearing a tight thin T shirt, and bending over to pick something up so that you can practically read the serial number off the frame are the ones easy to spot.

The self conscious ones are second place.

You said "it's not the end of the world if I'm printing." Yes, not usually.

But please be aware there are extreme anti-gun people out there called "swatters." If they can see you are carrying, they will report it to police accompanied by lies meant to stress the arresting officer. Their goal is for that arresting officer to shoot you.

Here's a news article that mentions them:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01/gun-control-groups-accused-swatting-open-carry-permit-holders-putting-lives-at.html

Here's a video of a case where the security camera was synched up with the "swatter" on the 911 call.

Concealed is best. FYI, I was swatted once..

You said "it's not the end of the world if I'm printing." Yes, not usually.

But please be aware there are extreme anti-gun people out there called "swatters." If they can see you are carrying, they will report it to police accompanied by lies meant to stress the arresting officer. Their goal is for that arresting officer to shoot you.

Here's a news article that mentions them:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/01/gun-control-groups-accused-swatting-open-carry-permit-holders-putting-lives-at.html

Here's a video of a case where the security camera was synched up with the "swatter" on the 911 call.

Concealed is best. FYI, I was swatted once..

Yeah, there are those types too, they're as deranged as any other killer roaming the streets.

I'm really careful when I carry in certain parts of my city. I've had people run into my pistol in a crowded restaurant. One woman even screamed out "He has a gun!" (Which is wholly unnecessary and could cause panic). There's a large area where the hipsters, flaming gun haters and the like tend to congregate. I'm not necessarily afraid of being swatted, but I definitely wouldn't put it past some liberal arts college snowflake from California or a gun-hating professor fresh off of a BLM march. Good thing the police around here are really laid back about it.

Swatters who make reports that lead to the maiming or death of a lawful carrier ought to be held responsible for the consequences of their actions. Cop shoots carrier based on a BS 911 call, caller should be thoroughly investigated and, if appropriate, charged with felony obstruction and attempted murder or murder. Period. Wanna be a crusader against lawful carriers? Pay the price, spend the remainder of your natural life in a maximum security prison.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

It's a crime:

(720 ILCS 5/26-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 26-1)

Sec. 26-1. Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he or she knowingly:

6) Calls the number "911" for the purpose of making or transmitting a false alarm or complaint and reporting information when, at the time the call or transmission is made, the person knows there is no reasonable ground for making the call or transmission and further knows that the call or transmission could result in the emergency response of any public safety agency;

So some scumbag calls 911, gets a lawful carrier shot, and the worst thing that happens is a misdemeanor? Well, that and sued for wrongful death, have a massive judgment entered against them as well as the Brady Bunch for encouraging it.

So some scumbag calls 911, gets a lawful carrier shot, and the worst thing that happens is a misdemeanor? Well, that and sued for wrongful death, have a massive judgment entered against them as well as the Brady Bunch for encouraging it.

I don't think that would necessarily be it. If you commit a misdemeanor and somebody dies because of your crime, then there are manslaughter and depraved indifference crimes that may also apply.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't think that would necessarily be it. If you commit a misdemeanor and somebody dies because of your crime, then there are manslaughter and depraved indifference crimes that may also apply. Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking along the lines of the felony murder rule. If the getaway driver, other accomplices are just as culpable as the person pulling the trigger, logically that should extend to making a false 911 call resulting in the death of an innocent person. The only difference is that the felony murder rule applies to deaths while in the commission of a felony. Swatting is a misdemeanor. Manslaughter in the first degree, I guess, but that isn't an adequate punishment IMO. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I don't think that would necessarily be it. If you commit a misdemeanor and somebody dies because of your crime, then there are manslaughter and depraved indifference crimes that may also apply. Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking along the lines of the felony murder rule. If the getaway driver, other accomplices are just as culpable as the person pulling the trigger, logically that should extend to making a false 911 call resulting in the death of an innocent person. The only difference is that the felony murder rule applies to deaths while in the commission of a felony. Swatting is a misdemeanor. Manslaughter in the first degree, I guess, but that isn't an adequate punishment IMO. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Swatting needs to be a felony and the felony murder concept should apply. Charles Manson never killed anyone, he manipulated others into killing, just as swatters do. It's clear from comments from some of those with extreme anti-gun and other politically extreme views that they believe those who carry firearms should be and deserve to be killed. There needs to be a serious penalty if someone takes action on those beliefs, even if that action is manipulating others into pulling the trigger.

Police departments and individual officers also have to bear some of the responsibility by being gullible to this kind of scheme.

Archived