In a Traffic Accident Interaction With LEO While Carrying

junglebob

I was driving in Carbondale Illinois yesterday when someone pulled out in front of me from a side street and I hit them on the drivers side. The young girl driving the other car wasn't hurt, nor was I. My van was totaled I believe.

I called 911 and a LEO arrived a few minutes later. He asked us for drivers licenses and insurance cards. He asks us to go to a parking lot about a block away. He comes back to me and asks if he can see my concealed carry license which I take out of my wallet. He looks at the back of the card at a label with a name and phone number and asks what that is. I say it is an attorney's phone number. He asks if it was much trouble to get the CCL. I said I took a 16 hour class and it took a couple months to get it.

I found it interesting that he never asked if I was carrying. He also didn't give me any instruction to keep my hands away from my gun. He didn't seem intimidated and treated me no differently than the other driver.

Glad you and the other driver are OK and sorry to hear about the van.

Funny I'm reading this today. My GF was rear ended yesterday on her commute home and she called to tell me. She said she informed the female trooper that she had her firearm in the glove box and handed the trooper her CCL the same time she did her license, insurance, etc. The trooper said she didn't have to do that but appreciated the honesty. Then made a comment, "oh, so this is what these licenses look like. I haven't seen any yet." My GF said the trooper was very professional, cordial, and welcoming to her sharing the information while expressing that it was not actually necessary.

So chalk this up to another instance of a LEO handling the situation appropriately.

Glad you and the other driver are OK and sorry to hear about the van.Funny I'm reading this today. My GF was rear ended yesterday on her commute home and she called to tell me. She said she informed the female trooper that she had her firearm in the glove box and handed the trooper her CCL the same time she did her license, insurance, etc. The trooper said she didn't have to do that but appreciated the honesty. Then made a comment, "oh, so this is what these licenses look like. I haven't seen any yet." My GF said the trooper was very professional, cordial, and welcoming to her sharing the information while expressing that it was not actually necessary.So chalk this up to another instance of a LEO handling the situation appropriately.

I think this is the norm, troopers not seeing a concealed carry permit before at this point. I know back in April I was at Wal-Mart buying ammo and the gentleman standing next to me was an off duty IL State Tropper in street clothes which I discovered after chatting with him. He at that time said he would like to see my permit only because he hadn't seen one. He questioned the clerk selling me the ammo after she ask for my FOID card if my concealed carry permit would be suitable for ammo purchase and she said she didn't know anything about a concealed carry permit only that she had to see my FOID. I felt like at the time it was an honest interaction on the troopers part as neither one of us knew at that time if the carry permit would work. Anyway the clerk didn't know he was a Tropper he had just showed her his FOID for some 22 cal ammo he was buying for personal use. All pretty interesting at the time you just never know who you might be standing in line with and yes I was carrying that morning and he never ask not that it made any difference.

Archived