A friend sent this to me today:
JB PRITZKER’S EXTREME ANTI-GUN RECORD
Throughout his public life, Pritzker has shown a sustained hostility to gun rights, particularly regarding handguns:
- When he ran for Congress in 1997, Pritzker called for a 100 percent tax on handguns and handgun ammunition, which he estimated would raise $1 billion a year. (Scott Fornek, “Pritzker, In First Political Run, Vows He Can 'Get The Job Done',” Chicago Sun-Times, 9/7/97)
- In the same campaign, he even favored banning the sale of handguns entirely. (Susan Dodge, “Candidates Hit Trail To Congress,” Chicago Sun-Times, 2/22/98)
In his campaign for governor, Pritzker has been a vocal supporter of banning certain firearms and accessories.
- He supports banning the sale of so-called assault weapons and high capacity magazines. (JB Pritzker Website)
Pritzker supports onerous regulations that would hurt small gun shops and law-abiding gun owners.
- He supported the gun dealer licensing bill vetoed by Governor Rauner earlier this year. (Sara Burnett, "How Illinois governor candidates would address gun violence," Associated Press, 1/14/18)
- He supports implementing universal background checks in Illinois. (JB Pritzker Website)
- He supports the creation of gun violence protection orders in Illinois that could impair due process rights. (JB Pritzker Website)
Pritzker’s activism against Second Amendment rights earned him recognition from anti-gun groups:
- In 2005, Pritzker Received The Citizen Advocacy Award From The Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. (Press Release, “Sen. Ted Kennedy To Receive Distinguished 'Lincoln Award' From Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence At Nov. 7 Awards Dinner,” Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, 11/7/2005)
- Pritzker once served as Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. (“Morning Spin: Pritzker Boasts Of Poshard Backing, But They're A Political Odd Couple,” Chicago Tribune, 9/25/17)
Pritzker is a big-money funder of state and national gun control groups:
- He has contributed $101,000 to gun control groups through his foundation. (IRS Form 990-PF, Pritzker Family Foundation, 2002-2009)
- He gave $76,000 to the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence From 2002-2009.
- He gave $25,000 to the Brady Center To Prevent Gun Violence In 2003.