Still not convinced Richard Daley is delusional?

GarandFan

Well, then read this. I can't wait for this squawker to eat crow.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9E61NRO0.htm

Daley optimistic Chicago will prevail in gun case

The Associated Press March 1, 2010, 2:56PM ET

CHICAGO

Mayor Richard Daley says he's optimistic Chicago will prevail against what he calls the gun industry's challenge to the city's handgun laws.

He spoke at a news conference Monday, a day before the U.S. Supreme Court hears arguments on the constitutionality of Chicago's handgun ban.

Daley says cities and states should be able to decide how best to protect their citizens. He fears the case before the Supreme Court could cause needless legal challenges to other laws nationwide.

Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis (WEES) attended the same news conference.

He says his biggest concern if Chicago laws are struck down is the threat his officers could face every time they respond to a domestic disturbance.

Well, then read this. I can't wait for this squawker to eat crow.

http://www.businessw...s/D9E61NRO0.htm

CHICAGO

Mayor Richard Daley says he's optimistic Chicago will prevail against what he calls the gun industry's challenge to the city's handgun laws.

He spoke at a news conference Monday, a day before the U.S. Supreme Court hears arguments on the constitutionality of Chicago's handgun ban.

Daley says cities and states should be able to decide how best to protect their citizens. He fears the case before the Supreme Court could cause needless legal challenges to other laws nationwide.

Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis (WEES) attended the same news conference.

He says his biggest concern if Chicago laws are struck down is the threat his officers could face every time they respond to a domestic disturbance.

Those laws have worked so well the last few decades. And, Weis wants us to think that his officers DON'T face a threat everytime they respond to a domestic now????

I can't wait to see his head explode sometime in the end of June!!!

CHICAGO

Daley is a liberal Democrat and just like most of the liberal Democrat legislators in DC, they have lost touch not only with their constituents, but also reality.

It would be a shame if Chicago lost its well-deserved reputation as a really safe place to be a police officer. Chicago, where domestic violence calls aren't dangerous . . . .

Don, your tongue must really be long to have it planted so far into your cheek. :thumbsup:

I wonder how police officers deal with a domestic situation in any other big city ( or small town even ) in this country. I am so tired of reading and hearing what these pukes say just to try to keep CONTROL over the people!

I can't wait to see the ruleing come out. I just wish I could be standing near Daley when he hears his bad news.

Daley says cities and states should be able to decide how best to protect their citizens.

But Little Dicky, didn't your daddy argue the City knew how best not to protect its citizens?

"The complaint alleges, inter alia, that Josephine M. Keane was employed by the City of Chicago Board of Education as a school teacher and was assigned to the Lewis-Champlin Grade School in that capacity. The complaint alleges that on April 20, 1961, Mrs. Keane while on the school premises in her capacity as a school teacher was assaulted and killed by Lee Arthur Hester, a student enrolled at the school. It further alleges that the City was negligent in failing to assign police protection to the school, although it knew or should have known that failure to provide this protection would result in harm to persons lawfully on the premises in the
removal of police protection from the school prior to April 20, 1961, although it knew or should have known of the dangerous condition
then existing at the school and in permitting a dangerous condition to exist at the school.

The
City's
motion to strike Count I of the complaint
alleged that the
operation of the police department was a
governmental function rather than a proprietary function, and that it was therefore immune from liability
for any acts or matters alleged in the count."
Keane v. City of Chicago
, 98 Ill.App.2d 460 (1968).

Daley has to say stupid crap like this - he does not want to seem like he's frivolously spending tax payer money :thumbsup:

He's just living his daddy's legacy... Guns are the problem and the only thing a handgun can be used for is death. Government needs to be able to tell its citizens what to do bla bla bla.

I hope they fall so hard that I can justify the wasted tax dollars as part of some sort of sick entertainment tax!

He's just living his daddy's legacy...

Have you read Ryoko's "Boss"? Really good stuff on what things were like for the old man growing up. In short, he was an Irish gangbanger. If the Daley the Elder was opposed to guns, it was only to the extent of disarming his enemies. Probably just as true of Little Dicky today!

Have you read Ryoko's "Boss"? Really good stuff on what things were like for the old man growing up. In short, he was an Irish gangbanger. If the Daley the Elder was opposed to guns, it was only to the extent of disarming his enemies. Probably just as true of Little Dicky today!

I have not, yet. Thanks for bringing it up.

http://www.amazon.co...ader_0452261678

I'll check it out at the library - from what I read on Amazon it looks pretty good.

The biggest concern is the threat the officers could face when responding to a DD? The last time I checked, shotguns and rifles were legal to possess in the city limits, properly registered of course. So how is adding handguns to the mix any more dangerous than what is already out there? In my understanding of the NIJ Ballistic Standards, the body armor that the police wear are typically rated to stop handgun rounds, but not many rifle rounds. In order to stop rifle rounds, you'd need a hard or soft armor plate in conjunction with the vest, and from my interaction with various officers, many don't use such a plate. So by that reasoning, I would be more afraid of someone pulling a rifle on me as I approached a DD, moreso than someone pulling a pistol on me.

And with regards to handguns, which I'm assuming that Weis thinks that once McDonald is handed down in our favor, everyone under the sun will go out and acquire one, handguns are not as accurate as a rifle, (yes, I do realize it's all in the hands of the shooter). I saw on another website that someone had done the math as to aiming a pistol. At 15 feet, a pistol canted at 5 degrees will miss a human sized target. The grater the distance, the less the degree needs to be in order to miss the target. Info taken from here. WARNING, there may be adult language contained in the article. Now take a look at how far your front door is from the street, where a cop would most likely pull up and exit their car. For many of the houses I've seen, it's in excess of 15 feet, if not approaching double that.

If it may please the forum, (sorry, I just got done reading the arguments, good stuff!), I'd like to go with a hypothetical situation here. Mr. Nice is beating his wife, really putting the smackdown on her. In a moment of opportunity, she is able to get away from him, grab a phone, and lock herself into a room to call the police. Now, Mr. Nice has already has two convictions on his record for violent felonies, and has the mindset that he will not go to prison, seeing as how he would most likely be a candidate for the 3 Strikes rule. He hears the sirens, and starts to freak out over the impending outcome of his actions. He makes his peace, and grabs a weapon thinking to himself that they will never take him alive.

Handgun - Odds are he will most likely miss the police. Odds are the police will shoot him, and most likely kill him while not sustaining any serious injury. Sure, Mr. Nice could have the potential to be a crack shot, but I seriously doubt it. If he does manage to actually hit a cop, odds are he will not be lucky enough to pull off a headshot. In the vest, legs, or arms is where I see this going, if it doesn't hit the car or the neighbor across the street first.

Rifle - Mr. Nice likes action movies, and because of this, he has a gold plated AK-47 in his gun collection, (because, you know, all the cool bad guys have this!!!). He grabs this, and waits for the cops to arrive. Odds of him hitting the cops, and most likely mortally wounding them are greater than with the handgun. Rifles, IMHO, are a much more stable platform for aiming accurately, or close to that. Sure, he may shoot one in the vest, but realistically, he would be trying for a headshot, because that is what they do in his beloved action movies. If he's on target, the cop is dead. If he aims for the head, and shoots low, or aims for the chest and shoots high, there is a potential to hit just above the vest, and even that would ruin your day. The cop might not be dead, but does have the potential to become a quad.

I realize that I've gotten quite long winded here, so I'll wrap this up. Do the police currently face a danger from firearms while responding to DD's? I honestly believe they do. Will this danger increase if handguns are allowed? Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but I strongly believe that there will be some form of danger no matter what the outcome will be. And to blindly believe that just because this handgun banning ordinance is in effect that everyone in Chicago abides by it and doesn't have a pistol in their house is asinine. Sure, there are some gun owners who want to keep on the right side of the law, but how many others believe in the theory, "Don't ask, don't tell?"

Now, Mr. Nice has already has two convictions on his record for violent felonies, and grabs a weapon

In Illinois, Mr. Nice would not qualify for a FOID card would be prohibited from possession both a rifle and a handgun. The ISP should be doing a better job. :headbang1:

You guys give this man too much credit. Don't confuse delusional, or out of touch, for just plain heartless.

I don't beleive heartless.

How about hypocritical?

Here's a mayor who has armed bodyguards for himself 24/7. "His" city counsel members are allowed to carry.

And then there's that incident that happened down the street from his summer home in Michigan last year. His armed bodyguards were involved, even though it had nothing to do with protecting his highness!

John Kass from today's Tribune:

linky thingy

King Rudy and the gun ban

John Kass: There are only three classes of people who are comfortable having handguns in Chicago: Cops, criminals, and the politically connected.

In its wisdom, the U.S. Supreme Court finally took up Chicago's ridiculous 27-year-old handgun ban on Tuesday.

Why is it ridiculous? Because only three classes of people are comfortable with handguns in the anti-handgun city:

Cops, criminals and the politically connected.

Mayor Richard Daley sure is upset that the ban might be overturned. But he probably has more armed guards protecting him than the president of Venezuela.

Chicago aldermen are allowed to carry handguns. I wanted to ask the chairman of the City Council's police committee about those gun-toting aldermen. But there was no chairman. The last one just resigned after pleading guilty to federal bribery charges, so he wasn't around.

If the Supreme Court really wanted to know why some folks in Chicago have guns and others don't, they should have called an expert witness:

Rudy Acosta, the former "gangsta" rap impresario, or King Rudy, as he likes to be known.

King Rudy, 34, lives in Chicago. He's had lots and lots of handguns.

"Oh, leave Rudy alone," said his wily and high-profile criminal defense lawyer Joseph "The Shark" Lopez. "Rudy's just another hard-working average American trying to make a dollar."

King Rudy has been arrested at least twice with guns. But he's never been convicted of a felony.

He once told police he's a former member of the Satan Disciples street gang. He now has a video portraying him as a kingpin, a "man of respect," with fine cigars, sweet rides and power.

"That's a video from a long time ago [2008]," Lopez said. "He's a self-promoter. It's the American way."

Back then, I wrote a few columns about Acosta and his monstrous castle on the Northwest Side overlooking the Kennedy Expressway.

Although the neighbors objected to the construction, King Rudy understands the Chicago Way. His father was a Democratic machine precinct captain. Rudy hired a member of the political Banks family — the first family of zoning — to win castle approval from City Hall.

Back then, I wrote he'd been arrested by Chicago police, who said they found four illegal handguns and $112,000 in cash in a wall safe.

But all charges were dropped because the elite politically connected unit that arrested King Rudy was itself the target of a federal corruption probe. Is that Chicago or what?

In a recent development, Rudy's guns got him in trouble again. On Oct. 11, 2009, he was arrested at his River North condo. Officers arrived in the lobby just before 6 a.m. to find building security guards cowering "behind a concrete wall."

According to police reports, Rudy was waving a loaded 12-gauge shotgun and screaming that there were robbers in his condo.

Rudy was pointing at security monitors, saying, "They're coming from the side! They're coming after me!"

"Rudy, put the gun away, it's a shadow," a security guard told Rudy.

The report also noted that Rudy relinquished the shotgun before accompanying police up to his condo, scene of the alleged robbery. Police found two men inside, who said they were much too relaxed for such hijinks.

They were Rudy's guests, and had been "drinking and doing lines of coke," the report said.

"Further observation of the offender's apartment revealed an open wall cabinet containing eight handguns and several boxes of ammunition," the report said.

And where was the robber?

Acosta explained, "There was a guy who climbed off my balcony using a rope." Employing the famous dry sarcasm of Chicago cops, officers noted in the report that Acosta's condo was 46 stories above the ground.

So Acosta was charged with breaking the city's handgun law and reckless conduct — both misdemeanors.

But those charges were also dropped, when police failed to appear in court.

Lopez told me his client didn't plan on recovering his guns, but that he "has every right to have guns" in Chicago.

Pardon me?

"The police got their facts wrong," Lopez said. "He was in fear of his safety. And has a PERC card, he's fully licensed. He's not a convicted felon."

PERC stands for Permanent Employee Registration Card. The state government gives these out to private investigators so they can carry guns in the anti-handgun city.

We checked state records. Before the second arrest, Acosta became fully licensed to carry through May, 2012.

Lopez said Acosta has left the gangsta rap business and is now in the private security business and dabbles in real estate.

Whew. That will make the new neighbors feel safe. With Rudy packing all that heat, what criminal would be foolish enough to rob him and try to escape on a rope down the castle walls?

Sadly, Lopez said his client isn't going to move into the castle.

"He's putting it up for sale," Lopez said. "You forced him to sell his house with what you wrote about him. It's too hot now. He can't move in. The neighbors don't want him. He's just a hard-working guy."

The Chicago residents who appealed to the Supreme Court on Tuesday are hard-working, too. But they don't make videos portraying themselves as "gangstas."

All they want is to be able to protect themselves like the boss of Chicago and the politically connected, which is their constitutional right.

And Rudy?

He's just a hard-working guy with the right to bear arms, in the anti-handgun city that works.

jskass@tribune.com

CHICAGO

Daley is a liberal Democrat and just like most of the liberal Democrat legislators in DC, they have lost touch not only with their constituents, but also reality.

In Daley's case, particularly, was there ever any to lose?

Archived