Bolt action for self defense.

Gator4838

I think defending any shot greater that 21 feet away in Chicago would be difficult to explain.

Assuming the attacker is on foot. What if the attacker is a terrorist, disgruntled employee, or ex-spouse driving a Chevy Suburban at your house or business? The ability to reach out could be a life saver in some circumstances. Or, would the ability to stop an active shooter from a distance be a valid use of a scout rifle?

My fav firearm youtuber hickok45 has a fun and informative older video of him shooting slugs at 230 yards with them then going through thick pressboard and a 55 gallon drum. More than enough 'oomph' for any two-legged threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks

MY personal 'best defense' in the unlikely event of such civil unrest/ zombie apocalypse scenarios involves a bug-out bag and my SUV hitting the highways long b-4 that unrest nears me.

As the OP referred to "Civil Unrest" I think it would probably be fairly certain in extreme conditions that the police won't have time to go door knocking for unlawful firearm complaints.

Under ordinary circumstances my 870 would be fine.

For mobs of roving nare do wells that need dispersed from a distance, yes, a scoped rifle would come in handy.

I would not want to be fired on by a center fire rifle of any caliber.

As the OP referred to "Civil Unrest" I think it would probably be fairly certain in extreme conditions that the police won't have time to go door knocking for unlawful firearm complaints.

Under ordinary circumstances my 870 would be fine.

For mobs of roving nare do wells that need dispersed from a distance, yes, a scoped rifle would come in handy.

I would not want to be fired on by a center fire rifle of any caliber.

good point on the police,you will be on your own to protect yourself and family.if you don't think it could happen in chicago,your snoozing.my 870 super mag has always been one of my favorites.deer,upland birds,waterfowl,skeet,I have shot several turkey with that gun.I have never shot a long gun with a scope,I adapt pretty well to iron sights.

Irons are rare on bolt guns these days. Pop some glass up top and you'll quickly find how handy even a 2x scope is in both shot placement and Target ID. Want to know if that approaching fellow dressed like a pirate is more Blackbeard or Cap'n Crunch? Some glass will help with that.

<Sipping coffee>

<Pfffffttt.!!!!> :rofl:

YOU sir...owe me a new keyboard!!

Irons are rare on bolt guns these days. Pop some glass up top and you'll quickly find how handy even a 2x scope is in both shot placement and Target ID. Want to know if that approaching fellow dressed like a pirate is more Blackbeard or Cap'n Crunch? Some glass will help with that.

good advice.if I did some long gun shooting with optic,I would probably be impressed.it's such a pain in the butt now days to get to a Outdoor range from the city to shoot for distance.

In a civil unrest situation, it depends what distance you consider at a distance. I am faily certain an unmodified SKS is legal in Chicago. M-1 Garand and M1 Carbine definately are.. Semi-autos with punch to a decent distance. Ruger PC Carbine with 10 rd 9mm Glock mags and the UNTHREADED barrel would be legal. But, it's useful distance is only a little more than a 4-5" handgun. It's actually a good in home defense, and up to 75-100 yards outside.

Also consider lever action in pistol calibers, such as 357 Magnum/38 Special or 44 Magnum. 30-30 would work too, but would be 5 rounds loaded compared to 10 for the pistol calibers.

Scout rifles can be ran pretty fast. But, also look at the Ruger American Ranch bolt, that takes every day AR, AK etc mags (depending on caliber. Know from experience they can be accurate as heck with glass and fast for a bolt. And you can fire 5.56 Nato with one model, or 7.69x39 with another, .300 Blackout and some others..

I would make a Rifle caliber pistol or Firearm. Basically a 16" 5.56 upper with a sba3 brace or pistol buffer tube would not legally be an assault rifle/pistol. While a pistol in general would have state pre-emption.

wouldn't pass in Chicago

Banned in Chi-town

3. A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

a. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

b. a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

c. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

d. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; or

e. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

"Immediate, otherwise unavoidable threat."

You're not a scout sniper on over-watch. Stick with the shotgun. If there someone in the house the sound of a shotgun racking is universal GTFO and needs no translation.

JQ

It's also the universal sound that gives away your position and gives a home invader a direction to start firing blindly in.

I would make a Rifle caliber pistol or Firearm. Basically a 16" 5.56 upper with a sba3 brace or pistol buffer tube would not legally be an assault rifle/pistol. While a pistol in general would have state pre-emption.

wouldn't pass in Chicago

Banned in Chi-town

3. A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

a. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

b. a barrel having a threaded muzzle;

c. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

d. a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; or

e. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

State Law> Municipal Law regarding pistols. Technically legal in Chicago. This pistol ban would only apply to those without a FOID card ironically. Unfortunately: You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. Your AR pistol will probably be confiscated and you should be prepared to have a good lawyer to fight it. Chicago thinks they are above the state. CPD has also confiscated magazines over their limit, but nobody has been charged. Seems kinda fishy to me.

Heres a good read:

https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/blog/the-ar15-pistol-in-chicago/

First let’s discuss preemption since this entire article hinges on that language. As of the passage of the Illinois Concealed Carry Act, state law says…
(430 ILCS 66/90)
Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
Layman’s Interpretation: Any ordinance or regulation which applies to handguns for law abiding gun owners is null and void. Any ordinance that was on the books at the passage of the Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Act became null and void unless amended within a specified period of time, That time frame has lapsed years ago. Municipalities may regulate long guns, but not hand guns.
The Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Card Act also contains certain similar preemption language which was added to the FOID act at the passage of the Concealed Carry Act in 2013. Though this language is similar, it is different, and says…
( :cool: Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and ammunition for a handgun, and the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act.
Layman’s Interpretation: The same preemption afforded to concealed carry licensees also applies to those lawful gun owners of Illinois who have a FOID card.
Since only hand guns are preempted, next we have to cover the Illinois definition of “Handgun” which was also defined as part of the Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Act and says…
(430 ILCS 66/5)
Sec. 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
“Handgun” means any device which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas, or escape of gas that is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
Layman’s Interpretation: Handguns are designed to be shot with one hand. Some AR15 pistols with devices such as “Sig Tac Stabilizing Brace” are indeed designed to allow shooters to use one hand. The law does not say, “MUST be shot by one hand”, only “designed to be shot by one hand”. Please note, law says nothing about caliber.
Product data literature for the Sig Sauer SB15 Stabilizing Brace states…
A shooter’s aid that is designed to improve the single-handed shooting performance of buffer tube equipped pistols
Let us also define what a handgun is NOT, also defined as part of the Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Act and says…
“Handgun” does not include:
(1) a stun gun or taser;
(2) a machine gun as defined in item (i) of paragraph
(7) of subsection (a) of Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
(3) a short-barreled rifle or shotgun as defined in
item (ii) of paragraph (7) of subsection (a) of Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012; or
(4) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or
B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter, or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second, or which expels breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors.
Layman’s Interpretation: Nothing contained within the Firearm Concealed Carry Licensing Act would eliminate an AR15 Pistol from the definition of “Handgun”. We are referred to the Illinois Criminal Code for definitions of machine gun and definition of short barrel rifle. A link to the Criminal Code is provided below for your review, however neither definition would describe the AR15 pistol.
Lastly, there is no dispute that City of Chicago ordinance has banned AR15’s, as part of their so called, “Assault Weapon Ban”. There is also no dispute that they did this within the allotted time frame stated within the Concealed Carry Licensing Act. But one thing that is often over looked is contained within City of Chicago ordinance 8-20-250 which states…
Nothing in this section shall be construed to regulate any firearm or ammunition to the extent that such regulation is preempted.
Layman’s Interpretation: Clearly the city of Chicago acknowledges the preemption language contained within Illinois law. Therefore any bans on handguns would only apply to those who do not have FOID, and simply be redundant since it is already illegal to own or possess firearms without a FOID, thus making it more “illegal-er”.
All of the above is a lay man’s interpretation of the “letter of the law” and not to be considered legal advice. Cautious individuals will be quick to point out that there is no “case law” on this subject. Meaning that no legal gun owner has yet been arrested and prosecuted for violation of this ordinance. When a judge or jury make a decision, we then have case law. But it is important to note that we may never have case law on an issue when the letter is so black and white. Any person within Chicago who chooses to possess an AR15 pistol should do so cautiously, knowing they may have to defend their rights in court.
Sources:
The Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act
The Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Card Act
The Illinois Criminal Code Unlawful Use of Weapons
The city of Chicago Municipal Ordinance

Also notice how the law mentions pistols/rifles. But not a title 1 firearm. It isn't a rifle or a pistol. It's the same class as a Mossberg Shockwave. You can easily make your own.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2019/10/17/franklin-armory-title-1-first-look/

FranklinArmory-Title1.01-670x446.jpg

I sorta hate posting here since the enemy is probably watching. But I don't want a law abiding citizen to be stuck with a bolt action for self defense/civil unrest if it can be helped and other options are LEGAL to own.

State Law> Municipal Law regarding pistols. Technically legal in Chicago. This pistol ban would only apply to those without a FOID card ironically. Unfortunately: You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. Your AR pistol will probably be confiscated and you should be prepared to have a good lawyer to fight it. Chicago thinks they are above the state. CPD has also confiscated magazines over their limit, but nobody has been charged. Seems kinda fishy to me.

Heres a good read:

https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/blog/the-ar15-pistol-in-chicago/

First let’s discuss preemption since this entire article hinges on that language. As of the passage of the Illinois Concealed Carry Act, state law says…
(430 ILCS 66/90)
Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
Layman’s Interpretation: Any ordinance or regulation which applies to handguns for law abiding gun owners is null and void. Any ordinance that was on the books at the passage of the Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Act became null and void unless amended within a specified period of time, That time frame has lapsed years ago. Municipalities may regulate long guns, but not hand guns.
The Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Card Act also contains certain similar preemption language which was added to the FOID act at the passage of the Concealed Carry Act in 2013. Though this language is similar, it is different, and says…
( :cool: Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and ammunition for a handgun, and the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act.
Layman’s Interpretation: The same preemption afforded to concealed carry licensees also applies to those lawful gun owners of Illinois who have a FOID card.
Since only hand guns are preempted, next we have to cover the Illinois definition of “Handgun” which was also defined as part of the Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Act and says…
(430 ILCS 66/5)
Sec. 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
“Handgun” means any device which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas, or escape of gas that is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.
Layman’s Interpretation: Handguns are designed to be shot with one hand. Some AR15 pistols with devices such as “Sig Tac Stabilizing Brace” are indeed designed to allow shooters to use one hand. The law does not say, “MUST be shot by one hand”, only “designed to be shot by one hand”. Please note, law says nothing about caliber.
Product data literature for the Sig Sauer SB15 Stabilizing Brace states…
A shooter’s aid that is designed to improve the single-handed shooting performance of buffer tube equipped pistols
Let us also define what a handgun is NOT, also defined as part of the Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Act and says…
“Handgun” does not include:
(1) a stun gun or taser;
(2) a machine gun as defined in item (i) of paragraph
(7) of subsection (a) of Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
(3) a short-barreled rifle or shotgun as defined in
item (ii) of paragraph (7) of subsection (a) of Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012; or
(4) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or
B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter, or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second, or which expels breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors.
Layman’s Interpretation: Nothing contained within the Firearm Concealed Carry Licensing Act would eliminate an AR15 Pistol from the definition of “Handgun”. We are referred to the Illinois Criminal Code for definitions of machine gun and definition of short barrel rifle. A link to the Criminal Code is provided below for your review, however neither definition would describe the AR15 pistol.
Lastly, there is no dispute that City of Chicago ordinance has banned AR15’s, as part of their so called, “Assault Weapon Ban”. There is also no dispute that they did this within the allotted time frame stated within the Concealed Carry Licensing Act. But one thing that is often over looked is contained within City of Chicago ordinance 8-20-250 which states…
Nothing in this section shall be construed to regulate any firearm or ammunition to the extent that such regulation is preempted.
Layman’s Interpretation: Clearly the city of Chicago acknowledges the preemption language contained within Illinois law. Therefore any bans on handguns would only apply to those who do not have FOID, and simply be redundant since it is already illegal to own or possess firearms without a FOID, thus making it more “illegal-er”.
All of the above is a lay man’s interpretation of the “letter of the law” and not to be considered legal advice. Cautious individuals will be quick to point out that there is no “case law” on this subject. Meaning that no legal gun owner has yet been arrested and prosecuted for violation of this ordinance. When a judge or jury make a decision, we then have case law. But it is important to note that we may never have case law on an issue when the letter is so black and white. Any person within Chicago who chooses to possess an AR15 pistol should do so cautiously, knowing they may have to defend their rights in court.
Sources:
The Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act
The Illinois Firearm Owner Identification Card Act
The Illinois Criminal Code Unlawful Use of Weapons
The city of Chicago Municipal Ordinance

Pretty sure OP doesn't want to be a test case, and if he is found with an AR 'pistol' He will be. Additionally, when the preemption ocurred, it also covered AWB, unless said home rule areas pass a law by said date. Chicago and Cook did. Easy for them to argue, that the preemption on handguns also doesn't apply to them.

IMHO, I wouldn't risk an AR pistol in Chicago.

Plus, there ARE actual semi-auto rifle options legal in Chicago.

Long range, with proper training (including the math behind using a scope with various types of ammo), a bolt action rifle is very effective.

My emphasis here, though, is on "proper training." Under stress it is very hard to hit anything even if you've had hours and hours at the range, in a shoot house, etc. Adrenaline is very powerful, and so is the fight or flight response. Those things destroy coordination and fine motor control. The brain does a lot of funky things to the body when it realizes we could die.

In a SHTF civil unrest scenario--especially in a large urban area like Chicago--the best survival plan you can have is a clear exit strategy and ample supplies to keep yourself alive while you bug out. You probably don't want a bolt action rifle for that, but rather something powerful and versatile enough (read, 9mm) for short range encounters as you get to your hidey hole.

The other question with this thinking is, is there anything in your residence that is more important than your life or that of your family? If not, then there is little reason to take a "castle defense" stance.

To me, a bolt action rifle (especially scoped) is something you use while stationary to defend the position you are in. In the case of true, wide scale civil unrest, the first thing I would do would be to get out of Chicago. Even if you're staying put, sitting on the rooftop Chris Kyle style really doesn't make much sense, you'd be much better off hardening your defenses and not attracting more attention to your place by sitting on said roof playing sniper.

Now, if you are in a more rural area (like me), I think it could make a little more sense. In a WROL/SHTF scenario, nobody is going to be casually strolling towards where I'd be so "discouraging" at long range makes a little more sense.

All of that said, if you want a Chicago legal rifle, assuming the SKS is still legal I think that makes the most sense. You could leave it how it is or mount an optic (don't know how much work that is, don't own one myself) if you wanted to expand your range a little. All things being equal, I can't imagine having legitimate shots even in a WROL scenario beyond what a 7.62x39's range, especially in an urban area.

You're not a scout sniper on over-watch. Stick with the shotgun. If there someone in the house the sound of a shotgun racking is universal GTFO and needs no translation.

JQ

It's also the universal sound that gives away your position and gives a home invader a direction to start firing blindly in.

I don't know the statistics but I suspect 99% of the people that break in a home aren't there to kill you and if they are your probably even more prepared. A shotgun rack at the top of the stairs will send more people away not wanting to even go to the bottom of the stairs.

For the 1% it's either hand grenades or BB's and chemicals because i they know you they won't come alone.

JQ

I don't know the statistics but I suspect 99% of the people that break in a home aren't there to kill you and if they are your probably even more prepared. A shotgun rack at the top of the stairs will send more people away not wanting to even go to the bottom of the stairs.

For the 1% it's either hand grenades or BB's and chemicals because i they know you they won't come alone.

If Iâm burglarizing a home and I hear a shotgun racking, Iâm dumping my mag in the direction the sound came from, even if I had no intention of killing the homeowners. People breaking into a home where the homeowners are at home are not going in with good intentions. Burglars usually wait for you to not be home which is why most burglaries happens during the day, or at night when the homeowner is out of town or away.

You wonât find a single reputable trainer advising you to give away your position like that. If you do find one, theyâre not reputable and I wouldnât give them a dime of my money.

Archived