Aimpoint Red Dots, What's YOUR opinion?

Buzzard

Unless you are old with bad eye why use a crutch? You still need a good consistent cheek weld for any accuracy.

Speed. Rapid target acquisition. both eyes open. Indoors or CQB applications.

And all the above at night as well.
I will accept the night purpose, but I would argue that for precision a red dot is slower than irons.

My fav out of my optics is by far the acog. I also have a eotech and a vortex sparc ar. The eotech is my least favorite.

I had two for real legit Trijicon ACOGs.

The first was an ECOS model with the little red dot riding piggy back on top of the main ACOG body.

I want to say that was right around $1,200.... new.

The other one I bought was used off the Brian Enos forums classifieds.

I want to say it was like $700 to $800...used.

The sad thing about it is that I never had a chance to try close in targets using the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) with both eyes open. I sold them off to pay off a credit card...figured a credit check would used for my background at my current job.

Anywhooo.... my point being is you could probably buy 2 maybe even 3 new Aimpoints for the price of one new ACOG.

I currently have an Elcan M145 that I have never mounted.

It is a weird set up with the scope adjustments built into the scope base.

It absolutely blows-my mind that the poster above had such bad luck with an Elcan Spectre model. Probably through MidwayUSA that is like a $2,500 scope.

. I have a ta11 acog that I really like. I’m sure the aim points are fine but I wanted something with magnification. That and i figured I already spent 3k buying the rifle why not spend another 1k and make it absolutely bad a..

Yes, lots of fakes being sold out there on the secondary market. L3 has a "how to spot a fake EOTech" on its site. Fakes or stolen from the military. I almost bought a KAC rear flip sight that was stolen from the USMC.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I have a T1 and a Pro. There is no better deal out there for a “I can beat the h*ll out of this” optic than a Pro at that price point for a true 1x red dot. Great glass, battery life is forever and crazy fast inside 200. Going past 200? Get your wallet out for a good 1-6 as discussed above. But on a home defense AR, you can’t beat it.

Well, just changed from a RD and x3 Magfnifier to a 1-6x with etched FFP etched and/or illuminated reticle. Just zeroed it this weekend, and shot at various distances.

Scope makes a lighter rifle. Definitely better at long ranges. At 1x for close, it takes a little longer to get on target than just the red dot. For one, you definitely need a good, consistent cheek weld, as it is NOT as parallax tolerant as red dots (which are not actually parallax free).

All in all, likely going to stick with the 1-6x scope.

If anyone is looking for an excellent 1-6 scope, the Vortex Razor HD gen 2 1-6 is a great scope.

While it's not FFP, the glass is amazingly clear, and the eye box is gigantic. Then to top it off, you have a center red dot that you can change the size/power on.

Best thing aside from the warranty, is it's built like a tank. I've seen a few people that have been running them multiple years in 3 gun, and if the scope can take that kind of abuse and stay zero'd (provided you have a good mount), then it's just about the best option for the money. I've launched my rifle into barrels and aside from the odd marred surface, the optic is still like new.

I believe they offer two reticles, the better of the two is the JM reticle. It's set up for a bullet traveling at approximately 3000 FPS out of your rifle, and if you zero at 200 yards, the bullet should line up with the BDC perfectly. So basically mine is POA at 200, first line at 300, second line at 400, third line at 500, fourth at 599. I have a hand load using a 60 grain vmax bullet pushing it to just over 3000 FPS.

I think that FFP is useful in most scopes if you plan on needing to range with the reticle itself since the subtensions and reticle grow as you increase magnification, or if you plan on needing to use a BDC at various magnifications. If you don't, then a SFP scope is really all you need since the magnification on a 1-6 is so low, anything at distance would be at max magnification. When I shoot a 3 gun match, my magnification is usually either on 1 or 6, but I'll throw it on 2-3 for small targets at 100 yards or so just to see them a bit better, but I'm not using the BDC at all. 6X isn't too hard to shoot quick with if you shoot with both eyes open. Transitioning between targets is easier if you use the eye not in the scope to help guide you onto the next target.

If anyone is looking for an excellent 1-6 scope, the Vortex Razor HD gen 2 1-6 is a great scope.
Odd you mention the Razor Gen II. Found a picture of a Delta operator in Syria with a Razor II mounted on his HK416. If it's good enough for Delta/CAG/SFOD-D/"The Unit" then it's good enough for the rest of us heh. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

What folding sights can you use with the Aimpoint PRO? I'm pretty well sold on this optic - and I think I'd like to pick up some folding sights on Black Friday/Saturday - Cyber Monday Specials.

And I should mention I am leaning very heavy towards a setup that does NOT employ a factory A2 front sight.

From some of the testimonials, where they toss this optic around on the pavement and it still works and holds it's zero, you would maybe think about not having back up sights. But we know better, don't we?

What folding sights can you use with the Aimpoint PRO? I'm pretty well sold on the sight - and I think I'd like to pick up some folding sights on Black Friday/Saturday - Cyber Monday Specials.

And I should mention I am leaning very heavy towards a setup that does NOT employ a factory A2 front sight.

From some of the testimonials, where they toss this optic around on the pavement and it still works and holds it's zero, you would maybe think about not having back up sights. But we know better, don't we?

Any standard AR height sights.

What folding sights can you use with the Aimpoint PRO? I'm pretty well sold on this optic - and I think I'd like to pick up some folding sights on Black Friday/Saturday - Cyber Monday Specials.

My AR was optics ready...just a flat top...I've got some Troy flip ups and have absolute co-witness with the mount Aimpoint bundled.

Just remember gas blocks get hot. They might melt a plastic front sight if you have a railed gas block.

Yes do not use Magpul MBUS BUIS mounted on the gas block. Plastics/polymers will melt. Use the MBUS Pro or whatever they call them. I prefer Knight's Armament flip-ups. If you have the money or can find them on an EE or eBay for a decent price. Have a 200-600m rear flip up on my SPR and a mini front. Those things are rock solid.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived