Is there a thread on here that discusses in detail the out-of-state licensing requirements?

ChicagoRonin70

I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find any thread that shows a collected discussion about the requirements, with links, to the licensing requirements for the various out-of-state CCLs, such as the Utah, Arizona, Florida, Michigan, Indiana, et cetera?

That would be very useful as a starting point to be able to apply for those licenses that someone might want.

If it exists, can someone link it?

If not, does anyone have that information that could be posted in a collection that would be useful in systematically going to the various state websites needed, and the requirements that people have found (and any tips to get things done most effectively) to help getting these various license (and from other states)?

In a nutshell, you can apply for Florida or Arizona using your training certificate for Illinois. For both, you have to contact the state agencies that handle the licensing and have them send you an application packet (or get one in person from your very astute Illinois FCCL instructor). Both require ink fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency (unless you apply in person in FL, then you can have electronic done at a police department down there), Make sure you get your instructor's NRA instructor # (not just his/her Illinois FCCL instructor number) on the certificate.

Utah requires training provided by an instructor licensed by the State of Utah. The training can be incorporated into a broader curriculum (such as an Illinois FCCA 16 hour course) but must cover all required topics, including those specific to the State of Utah (such as state laws). No use contacting the state to ask for an application, even if they sent you one or your printed one online, it does you no good if it is not signed and stamped by your Utah instructor.

Pennsylvania used to be quite popular but is less so now as they used to accept renewal applications by mail, but had a change in law which requires applications for new and renewal licenses to be made in person. But if you happen to be making a trip to the east coast, might be worth stopping in to a county sheriff's office.

As for the benefits of each...Illinois (at last count) is recognized by 27 states. Adding a FL non-resident license gives you FL, GA, LA, NM, WY, and ND. AZ does not give you FL, and does not give you any additional states covered by FL, but does cost less. UT is recognized by all states that recognize FL except FL and NM, but UT is also recognized by WA. The trade-off is that UT requires specific training, so time and money up front, but much lower licensing and renewal costs than FL.

Cliff's notes done.

Nice collection of links to other threads. However, I'm not sure all of those have current information. A lot has changed since 2010 (and prior).

This site is always helpful, unless you're looking for a lot more depth & personal experience:

http://handgunlaw.us/

That thread did not come up when I searched. Is that because it is archived?

@kwc

Personal experience and updated information, all gathered in one place, would be the ideally useful thing.

In a nutshell, you can apply for Florida or Arizona using your training certificate for Illinois. For both, you have to contact the state agencies that handle the licensing and have them send you an application packet (or get one in person from your very astute Illinois FCCL instructor). Both require ink fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency (unless you apply in person in FL, then you can have electronic done at a police department down there), Make sure you get your instructor's NRA instructor # (not just his/her Illinois FCCL instructor number) on the certificate.

Utah requires training provided by an instructor licensed by the State of Utah. The training can be incorporated into a broader curriculum (such as an Illinois FCCA 16 hour course) but must cover all required topics, including those specific to the State of Utah (such as state laws). No use contacting the state to ask for an application, even if they sent you one or your printed one online, it does you no good if it is not signed and stamped by your Utah instructor.

Pennsylvania used to be quite popular but is less so now as they used to accept renewal applications by mail, but had a change in law which requires applications for new and renewal licenses to be made in person. But if you happen to be making a trip to the east coast, might be worth stopping in to a county sheriff's office.

As for the benefits of each...Illinois (at last count) is recognized by 27 states. Adding a FL non-resident license gives you FL, GA, LA, NM, WY, and ND. AZ does not give you FL, and does not give you any additional states covered by FL, but does cost less. UT is recognized by all states that recognize FL except FL and NM, but UT is also recognized by WA. The trade-off is that UT requires specific training, so time and money up front, but much lower licensing and renewal costs than FL.

Cliff's notes done.

That is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for!

Combined with the links from the first reply, maybe that will be the total package.

Thanks!

Florida also has passed legislation that expedites the processing of permits for active duty, reserves and veterans. I applied in person on a Tuesday while visiting my folks in Florida and received my permit in the mail the following Monday. They were also super efficient and very helpful in walking me through the licensing process. A copy of my DD214 is all that was needed.

Florida also has passed legislation that expedites the processing of permits for active duty, reserves and veterans. I applied in person on a Tuesday while visiting my folks in Florida and received my permit in the mail the following Monday. They were also super efficient and very helpful in walking me through the licensing process. A copy of my DD214 is all that was needed.

Being a disabled vet myself, that is excellent news. I can't do it in person but I'll give them a direct call and see what can be done over the phone.

It's about time that I got the rest of my CCL collection, but more important I can use this information to give to my self-protection students to help them get theirs as well, since a lot of them have moved out of the state and don't need to deal with the Illinois CCL foolishness.

Not a thread but everything you want is listed in the CCW 50 State app. Bring up the State you want to see and click on Permit Info. It will even tell you if they offer a non resident permit. This app is current.

Not a thread but everything you want is listed in the CCW 50 State app. Bring up the State you want to see and click on Permit Info. It will even tell you if they offer a non resident permit. This app is current.

I love this app.

I refer to it to fact check info here.

Is that app programmed by the same company as the Posted! app?

I love this app.

I believe so. Workman Consulting

http://rightapp.net/wp/

I just went through the Arizona process for the concealed weapons permit last month. With the application provided by the Arizona Department of Public Safety, I submitted fingerprint cards, firearms training certificate and $60.

Being in Arizona at the time, I had my fingerprints done at sheriff's office. They did electronic fingerprints and printed them on fingerprint cards for me to take and submit. The license was received 3 weeks from the day I mailed everything in.

Just an FYI, there is no photo or address on the permit.

I love this app.

Yes sir. :)

I wrote (and frequently update) both apps. The company URL InterestedBystander provided is correct as well, if you are curious about our other apps.

I love this app.

Yes sir. :)

I wrote (and frequently update) both apps. The company URL InterestedBystander provided is correct as well, if you are curious about our other apps.

That's excellent! I use Posted! all the time. I'll have to download some of those other ones and also pass the around to the folks I know who would benefit from that information.

Archived