Are bumpstocks banned in Illinois?

Mastiff

HB1467? It got bundled with AW preemption removal.

2/28/2018 House Third Reading - Short Debate - Passed 083-031-000

3/14/2018 Senate Third Reading - Passed; 037-016-003
3/14/2018 House Arrived in House
3/14/2018 House Placed on Calendar Order of Concurrence Senate Amendment(s) 1
7/2/2018 House Rule 19( :cool: / Re-referred to Rules Committee

it's in Limbo. Concurrence is needed in the house, then it can be sent to the governor - for veto or signature or default enactment.

They're saving it to spring on us at their convenience and our consternation.

HB1467 Bumpstock Ban and Preemption Repeal

Oppose

House Sponsor: Moylan, Welch, Burke (Dan), Lang, Arroyo, Carroll, Harris (Greg), D'Amico, Conyears-Ervin, Davis, Flowers, Stratton, Gabel, Willis, Manley, Chapa LaVia, Burke (Kelly), Lilly, Thapedi, Ford, Crespo, Connor, Riley, Feigenholtz, Moeller, Greenwood, Mayfield (Added After Passage: Wallace, Ammons, Smith, Flynn-Currie, Drury, Soto, Andrade, Fine, Hernandez)

Senate Sponsor: Raoul, Morrison, Murphy, Collins, Silverstein, Hutchinson, Steans, Martinez, Nybo, Biss (Added After Passage: Hunter, Sandoval, Sims), (Removed: Oberweis)

House Amendment 1 - Adopted

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Prohibits 90 days after the effective date of the bill, the knowing sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a bump stock or trigger crank. Defines "bump stock" and "trigger crank". Establishes penalties. Effective immediately.

Senate Amendment 1 - Adopted

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that a municipality, including a home rule unit, may not regulate the possession and ownership of assault weapons in a manner less restrictive than the regulation by the State of the possession and ownership of assault weapons under the Act. Provides that a municipality, including a home rule unit, may regulate the possession and ownership of assault weapons in a manner more restrictive than the regulation by the State under this Act. Provides that this provision is a limitation under subsection (i) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution on the concurrent exercise by home rule units of powers and functions exercised by the State. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012 concerning unlawful use of weapons. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of the bill, it is unlawful for a person to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in this State, a bump-fire stock or trigger crank for a semi-automatic firearm that does not convert the semi-automatic firearm into a machine gun. Defines "bump-fire stock" as a butt stock designed to be attached to a semi-automatic firearm and designed, made, or altered, and intended to increase the rate of fire achievable with the firearm to that of a fully automatic firearm by using the energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. Defines "trigger crank" as any device that can be externally fitted to the trigger guard or stock of a firearm that actuates the firearm using a crank. Provides that a violation is a Class 4 felony. Effective immediately.

You know you haven’t had your morning coffee when you think you just clicked a thread titled “Are Bumper Stickers Banned in ILLINOIS?”

Not sure what’s worse, fact I misread the title that bad, or how un-shocked I was to believe that our great nanny state would consider making that a reality.

Time to get some coffee. Have a wonderful Friday/Weekend fellow IC-ers.

HB1467? It got bundled with AW preemption removal.

2/28/2018 House Third Reading - Short Debate - Passed 083-031-000

3/14/2018 Senate Third Reading - Passed; 037-016-003

3/14/2018 House Arrived in House

3/14/2018 House Placed on Calendar Order of Concurrence Senate Amendment(s) 1

7/2/2018 House Rule 19( :cool: / Re-referred to Rules Committee

it's in Limbo. Concurrence is needed in the house, then it can be sent to the governor - for veto or signature or default enactment.

They're saving it to spring on us at their convenience and our consternation.

HB1467 Bumpstock Ban and Preemption Repeal

Oppose

House Sponsor: Moylan, Welch, Burke (Dan), Lang, Arroyo, Carroll, Harris (Greg), D'Amico, Conyears-Ervin, Davis, Flowers, Stratton, Gabel, Willis, Manley, Chapa LaVia, Burke (Kelly), Lilly, Thapedi, Ford, Crespo, Connor, Riley, Feigenholtz, Moeller, Greenwood, Mayfield (Added After Passage: Wallace, Ammons, Smith, Flynn-Currie, Drury, Soto, Andrade, Fine, Hernandez)

Senate Sponsor: Raoul, Morrison, Murphy, Collins, Silverstein, Hutchinson, Steans, Martinez, Nybo, Biss (Added After Passage: Hunter, Sandoval, Sims), (Removed: Oberweis)

House Amendment 1 - Adopted

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Prohibits 90 days after the effective date of the bill, the knowing sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a bump stock or trigger crank. Defines "bump stock" and "trigger crank". Establishes penalties. Effective immediately.

Senate Amendment 1 - Adopted

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that a municipality, including a home rule unit, may not regulate the possession and ownership of assault weapons in a manner less restrictive than the regulation by the State of the possession and ownership of assault weapons under the Act. Provides that a municipality, including a home rule unit, may regulate the possession and ownership of assault weapons in a manner more restrictive than the regulation by the State under this Act. Provides that this provision is a limitation under subsection (i) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution on the concurrent exercise by home rule units of powers and functions exercised by the State. Amends the Criminal Code of 2012 concerning unlawful use of weapons. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of the bill, it is unlawful for a person to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in this State, a bump-fire stock or trigger crank for a semi-automatic firearm that does not convert the semi-automatic firearm into a machine gun. Defines "bump-fire stock" as a butt stock designed to be attached to a semi-automatic firearm and designed, made, or altered, and intended to increase the rate of fire achievable with the firearm to that of a fully automatic firearm by using the energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. Defines "trigger crank" as any device that can be externally fitted to the trigger guard or stock of a firearm that actuates the firearm using a crank. Provides that a violation is a Class 4 felony. Effective immediately.

Fairly certain they can't 'save it for spring'. They would have to introduce an entirely new bill. Pretty sure it can't pass to a new session of the GA, let alone a new Governor term.

He said saving "to spring" not "until spring". There are probably another 5-6 bills with bump stock bans in addition to the one Mark listed.

I expect we see the bill(s) again at election time. Bills are good until end of GA session and Rauner re-inauguration the middle of January.

Hard for them to spring them at Election time, as the Veto Session isn't scheduled until AFTER Nov 6 Election Day.

http://www.ilga.gov/house/schedules/2018_Veto_Calendar.pdf

All current bills need some kind of floor vote(s) ergo House and/or Senate in session.

He said saving "to spring" not "until spring". There are probably another 5-6 bills with bump stock bans in addition to the one Mark listed.

I expect we see the bill(s) again at election time. Bills are good until end of GA session and Rauner re-inauguration the middle of January.

Hard for them to spring them at Election time, as the Veto Session isn't scheduled until AFTER Nov 6 Election Day.

http://www.ilga.gov/house/schedules/2018_Veto_Calendar.pdf

All current bills need some kind of floor vote(s) ergo House and/or Senate in session.

Yes, everything is back to committee except what went to the gov but Madigan and Cullerton can call them back to session earlier, yes? And even if they don't, I expect prior votes on many of these bills to be used as campaign fodder against many running for election.

A bit OT, but relevant to the future, in regards to timings of inaugurations and end of sessions and bills dying in various places:

I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating:

The bills can be resurrected, at the call of a special session or at the start of the "veto session" which is AFTER the November 6 general election - which is dangerous because lame duck losers can have their revenge without consequence.

The Senate stands adjourned until 11/13/2018 @ 12:00 Noon.
The House stands adjourned until 11/13/2018 @ 12:00 Noon.

The bills stay live until the NEXT Session (we're in the 100th session now, and the NEW 2 year session (101st) which starts January 9, 2019 cleans the slate of all bills and starts fresh.

I see what you mean about the Governor's 60 Days on a Bill.

Inauguration takes place on the second Monday in January following a gubernatorial election.

The Governor's inauguration for the 2019 - 2023 term is January 14, 2019
and subtracting 60 days from that gives November 15, 2018

- can a bill die on the governor's desk if his term ends before the bill defaults to law?

The election is on November 6, 2018;

Then if vetoed, there are 15 days for the issuing body to override, and an additional 15 days for the other chamber to override.

Article IV of the Illinois Constitution establishes when the General Assembly is to be in session. Section 5 of Article IV states that the General Assembly will convene its regular session on the second Wednesday of January.

That is January 9, 2019.

So the bill dies BEFORE and the 101st session of the General Assembly starts before the next Governor is Inaugurated.

So, send it to the Governor too late and a bill can become an interesting legal conundrum.

-------------------------------------------- in summation -----------------------------------------------------
timeline:

Tuesday November 6 2018 general election

Saturday, November 10, 2018 60th day before the New 101st session of the Illinois General Assembly (house and Senate) starts

Tuesday November 13, Illinois House and Senate reconvene, both at noon.
Thursday November 15, 2018 60th day before the Governor's inauguration
Wednesday January 9, 2019 New 101st session of the Illinois General Assembly (house and Senate) starts
Monday January 14, 2019 the Governor is sworn in for his term of office.

There are going to be possibly some interesting shenanigans involving timings of when things go where and how they die.

If a bill is sent to the governor, less than 60 days before the end of the Governors term, does a bill die on the Governor's desk at the end of the Governor's term if the 60 days to default enact it have not occurred?

That date IS Thursday November 15, 2018, the 60th day before the Governor's inauguration.

If the Governor VETO's a bill AFTER the start of the 101st session, Wednesday January 9, 2019 the bill would have to go back to a House and Senate that no longer exists for veto over ride votes... or do they exist?

There are gotcha's and gtrey areas and nightmare scenarios that you can be VERY sure Mike Madigan has all figured out.

It behooves us to be as aware.

A bit OT, but relevant to the future, in regards to timings of inaugurations and end of sessions and bills dying in various places:

I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating:

The bills can be resurrected, at the call of a special session or at the start of the "veto session" which is AFTER the November 6 general election - which is dangerous because lame duck losers can have their revenge without consequence.

The Senate stands adjourned until 11/13/2018 @ 12:00 Noon.

The House stands adjourned until 11/13/2018 @ 12:00 Noon.

The bills stay live until the NEXT Session (we're in the 100th session now, and the NEW 2 year session (101st) which starts January 9, 2019 cleans the slate of all bills and starts fresh.

I see what you mean about the Governor's 60 Days on a Bill.

Inauguration takes place on the second Monday in January following a gubernatorial election.

The Governor's inauguration for the 2019 - 2023 term is January 14, 2019

and subtracting 60 days from that gives November 15, 2018

- can a bill die on the governor's desk if his term ends before the bill defaults to law?

The election is on November 6, 2018;

Then if vetoed, there are 15 days for the issuing body to override, and an additional 15 days for the other chamber to override.

Article IV of the Illinois Constitution establishes when the General Assembly is to be in session. Section 5 of Article IV states that the General Assembly will convene its regular session on the second Wednesday of January.

That is January 9, 2019.

So the bill dies BEFORE and the 101st session of the General Assembly starts before the next Governor is Inaugurated.

So, send it to the Governor too late and a bill can become an interesting legal conundrum.

-------------------------------------------- in summation -----------------------------------------------------

timeline:

Tuesday November 6 2018 general election

Saturday, November 10, 2018 60th day before the New 101st session of the Illinois General Assembly (house and Senate) starts

Tuesday November 13, Illinois House and Senate reconvene, both at noon.

Thursday November 15, 2018 60th day before the Governor's inauguration

Wednesday January 9, 2019 New 101st session of the Illinois General Assembly (house and Senate) starts

Monday January 14, 2019 the Governor is sworn in for his term of office.

There are going to be possibly some interesting shenanigans involving timings of when things go where and how they die.

If a bill is sent to the governor, less than 60 days before the end of the Governors term, does a bill die on the Governor's desk at the end of the Governor's term if the 60 days to default enact it have not occurred?

That date IS Thursday November 15, 2018, the 60th day before the Governor's inauguration.

If the Governor VETO's a bill AFTER the start of the 101st session, Wednesday January 9, 2019 the bill would have to go back to a House and Senate that no longer exists for veto over ride votes... or do they exist?

There are gotcha's and gtrey areas and nightmare scenarios that you can be VERY sure Mike Madigan has all figured out.

It behooves us to be as aware.

I disagree that there is much area for shenanigans. The only gotchas mentioned above, that, imho have any chance at reality, are if the handed over bill sits on the Gov desk, OR he vetoes it too late. ALL within Rauner's complete control if they do, or do not happen.

I disagree that there is much area for shenanigans. The only gotchas mentioned above, that, imho have any chance at reality, are if the handed over bill sits on the Gov desk, OR he vetoes it too late. ALL within Rauner's complete control if they do, or do not happen.

What I was saying was that there will be a window of opportunity

(enact by timeout or time enough for a veto override?)for the lame ducks

that are CREATED by the election, to do us harm.

Granted - it's a narrow window but it exists. I wish to clarify the timing:

I envision a few dangerous days in November and wish to establish the danger period.

Our vigilance in these matters will avoid them being able to blindside us

with some nasty maneuvers (shenanigans or should I say sheMADigans)

Thus we should educate ourselves to the limits and lame duck opportunities of the end of session process.

Remember, THAT'S the time period where we got shafted with that temporary state income tax increase.

You see, with a COOPERATIVE Governor, a LOT can happen after the election but before the

new legislative session starts and the new Governor's term starts.

You know you haven’t had your morning coffee when you think you just clicked a thread titled “Are Bumper Stickers Banned in ILLINOIS?”

Not sure what’s worse, fact I misread the title that bad, or how un-shocked I was to believe that our great nanny state would consider making that a reality.

Time to get some coffee. Have a wonderful Friday/Weekend fellow IC-ers.

Thanks for the laugh. Made my day!!! :)

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:07 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:07 AM - No reason given

Speaking of bumpstocks, I took a leak in David Hogg’s Cheerios today :)

http://i.imgur.com/119cf9o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mG7J73J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hKzEEgC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BaO7fSi.jpg

Personally, I think bumpstocks are stupid, but it’s a gimmick that doesn’t need government regulation.

100% legal, so here ya go folks

https://github.com/maduce/fosscad-repo/tree/master/Rifles/AR-15_Bumpfire_Stock_v2-Disruptive_Solutions

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:07 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 5, 2018 at 12:07 AM - No reason given

Speaking of bumpstocks, I took a leak in David Hogg’s Cheerios today :)

Personally, I think bumpstocks are stupid, but it’s a gimmick that doesn’t need government regulation.

100% legal, so here ya go folks

https://github.com/maduce/fosscad-repo/tree/master/Rifles/AR-15_Bumpfire_Stock_v2-Disruptive_Solutions

I downloaded the files just to tweak Hogg and company since I don't own or have access to a 3d printer. I suggest everyone download the files just to get the download count up.

Archived