States Where Illinois Carry Licensees May Carry

Molly B.

Does anyone know if Wisconsin has anything in the works to allow IL? I spend time in IL, WI and FL and I hate to need 3 cards.

While he doesn't work in the CCW section, a contact who works with WI DOJ told me informally that since IL uses the BGC's that WI requires there should be no problem with WI accepting the FCCL... but that they are in no hurry to do so. Understandable given the back and forth that they went through themselves.

Is Iowa still planing on honoring Illinois' CCL?

My Mom said she heard something on Jim Fisher's radio program yesterday about them changing their mind.

All I have are Galesburg and Monmouth phone books or else I'd call the Scott County Sheriff's office and see if they know anything.

Iowa honors all permits.

Yep, Florida and New Mexico. From the Florida DOA. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

Correct, my quick check is that a FL CCW will also gain Florida and New Mexico (if someone already has UTAH CCW).

http://handgunlaw.us/states/CreateAMapNotice.pdf

the "create a map" page on handgunlaw.us is pretty handy to see the difference in coverage between different permits.

sorry i meant does anyone have insight on whether or not Florida will reciprocate with IL....thus saving us the process of applying for a FL ccw. Therefore, saving us $100+ and saving us to have to carry another CCW card in our wallets.

The current IL law has no provision for reciprocity or recognition of other state's permits at all. So the chance of that is really close to zero. The only reason it's not zero is the tiniest chance that some state might accept the car carry provision as IL's recognition of their permits.

If IL law changes to allow for recognition of other state's permits, then states like Florida, Colorado, and others that require reciprocity will be possible for IL permit holders.

Can someone steer me to details of open carry in Wisconsin for out of staters?

I travel through there abut 5 times a year. But would not OC without clear understanding of their OC laws as well as no carry zones and retail signage requirements.

Thanks for any help as I hopefully will be camping there for the first time this summer. So State and national lands would also be helpful.

Explain please the concealed and open carry laws in Wisconsin and how they apply to someone with Fla/Utah/Illinois CCL's.

This would be a good starting point:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

It appears WI recognizes UT (including non-res permits) but not FL nor IL. And you may open carry without a permit/license.

Explain please the concealed and open carry laws in Wisconsin and how they apply to someone with Fla/Utah/Illinois CCL's.

This would be a good starting point:

http://www.handgunla...s/wisconsin.pdf

It appears WI recognizes UT (including non-res permits) but not FL nor IL. And you may open carry without a permit/license.

also see:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46843

It's very possible that WI will recognize IL permits at some point, just unknown if for sure and when.

AZ, MN and PA permits are also recognized in WI, all three issue to non-residents.

I have another question about non-resident licenses,

We were allowed to get a Utah for example without having a CC permit in Illinois because we didn't have one at the time so Utah allowed Illinois residents to apply, Now that we have a permit will people that don't get our permit for what ever reason have to give up or not be able to apply for CC in other states?

Tom

New Hampshire requires you to have a home state permit unless your state does not require a permit to carry. The FOID card was required for Illinois residents.

Now that Illinois has a permit will New Hampshire require the permit instead of just the FOID? will any state that requires you to have a home state permit allow you to keep their license?

Tom

re: New Hampshire Yes. Now that an Illinois License is possible, I am pretty sure you must have an IL CCL to get the NH Permit ($100/5 years and only gets you NH, I think). I would include a copy of my FOID with the application.

re: Utah "If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states visit: http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply"

I think you are OK in Florida and Arizona. The rest of the states that might give you a license/permit are single state gets. The other states do not issue to non residents. I love PA, but you have to apply in person (takes no time!) and I don't think it gives you any extra states.

Edited by soundguy

I guess what I am getting at is... No Illinois license = NO any license anywhere would that be fair to say? granted that's only if I live in Illinois. Or in any state for that matter. You must have a CCL from your home state.

Why I say this is because it seems at least at this point in the game Illinois is making it hard for what ever reason and we never had to produce a license from Illinois for other states because we didn't have one.

To go one step further for instance, my application is denied will I have to surrender all permits from other states I may have now that Illinois has a permit ?. I don't know.

Just putting that out there I am sure their are non resident permit holders for other states that may be denied.

Tom

NH thinks if ya can't get one at home, ya can't have a NH one.

Illinois has no agreement to recognize a Utah permit, so you CAN get a Utah without your Illinois. It's unlikely Illinois will recognize UTAH (or any other state) anytime soon. You can still get Florida and Arizona without an Illinois. I don't see that changing.

If you are prohibited/denied from getting an Illinois License (which is different from you just haven't obtained one yet), you probably can't get on from any other state. It's certainly possible that you might lose non resident permits on renewal, or earlier, if you are denied having an Illinois license. I don't know for sure.

Edited by soundguy

sorry i meant does anyone have insight on whether or not Florida will reciprocate with IL....thus saving us the process of applying for a FL ccw. Therefore, saving us $100+ and saving us to have to carry another CCW card in our wallets.

Florida will not honor the Illinois license. Here is the answer straight from the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Good afternoon,

No, Florida will not be recognizing the Illinois concealed carry license. Let me to explain the reasons for this.

Under Florida law, we will honor the concealed weapon licenses issued by another state provided that authorities in the other state meet one condition: they must agree to honor concealed weapon licenses issued by the state of Florida. (This essential condition is set forth in section 790.015(4), which reads as follows: "This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm license holders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.") Florida imposes no other condition as a basis for reciprocity with another state. Once we receive acknowledgment from authorities in that other state, we automatically reciprocate.

Unfortunately, the state of Illinois does not honor concealed weapon licenses issued by any other state. There is an FAQ on the Illinois State Police's webpage (http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm) that specifically addresses this issue. That being the case, Illinois does not satisfy the basic condition that would allow Florida to honor Illinois licenses.

If I can be of further service, please get back in touch with me at your convenience.

Ken Wilkinson

Assistant Director

Division of Licensing

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

So if Utah is on the list then why are all these instructors advertising the Utah carry as being included in the IL carry course?

Jon Moloney

www.saferstatefirearms.com

Are they teaching the UTCCW as a part of the first 8 hours?

And having a UT non-res gains RTC in WI. Important for some of us who travel up to cheese country on occasion.

I was looking at which states I could carry in if I added Florida, (I already have Utah and waiting on Illinois) if I get my Florida it will give me New Mexico, If I got a Arizona instead of Florida it will only give me New Mexico and not Florida,

So for a few extra dollars for me I may go ahead and get my Florida I have all the training its just a cost issue if I want to spend 100 or so for 2 extra states. hmmm

Tom

I have another question about non-resident licenses,

We were allowed to get a Utah for example without having a CC permit in Illinois because we didn't have one at the time so Utah allowed Illinois residents to apply, Now that we have a permit will people that don't get our permit for what ever reason have to give up or not be able to apply for CC in other states?

Tom

I guess what I am getting at is... No Illinois license = NO any license anywhere would that be fair to say? granted that's only if I live in Illinois. Or in any state for that matter. You must have a CCL from your home state.

Why I say this is because it seems at least at this point in the game Illinois is making it hard for what ever reason and we never had to produce a license from Illinois for other states because we didn't have one.

To go one step further for instance, my application is denied will I have to surrender all permits from other states I may have now that Illinois has a permit ?.

Just putting that out there I am sure their are non resident permit holders for other states that may be denied.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...