Renewal Process - GSL

Craigcelia

Spoke with ISP folks while in Springfield this week. They say they are on this and will roll out in time for the renewals.

That is good news Molly.

Yes, but what does their response mean actually. Licenses start to expire in March of 2019. Does that mean they will be ready by January 2019.

Here is the problem. I would venture to say that a lot of us instructors have outdoor ranges. We would like to start teaching the renewals this summer. Not the beginning of next year. Can you tie them down to a specific time when they will be ready and not just "in time for the renewals".

Spoke with ISP folks while in Springfield this week. They say they are on this and will roll out in time for the renewals.

That is good news Molly.

Yes, but what does their response mean actually. Licenses start to expire in March of 2019. Does that mean they will be ready by January 2019.

Here is the problem. I would venture to say that a lot of us instructors have outdoor ranges. We would like to start teaching the renewals this summer. Not the beginning of next year. Can you tie them down to a specific time when they will be ready and not just "in time for the renewals".

This. Timeline for shooting and certs. They are too vague.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That is good news Molly.

Tie down a government agency? We can press for more specifics, sure.

That is good news Molly.

Tie down a government agency? We can press for more specifics, sure.

Please, let's not get into a play on words. I'm just looking for something more specific than their original statement.

After 4 years now of carrying, I have learned one thing that will be useful if the state doesn't get the renewal process in place in time OR if they mess with with it.

NOBODY has ever noticed when I have a concealed gun. EVER.

I plan to remain a lawful carry person, but it's up to the state for me to do that.

I just logged on to my ISP CCL/FOID account for the first time since 2014. FOID and CCL sections both have a blue button that says Renew. When I put my mouse over them, it becomes a red circle with a slash (no firearm).
Hmmm. Interesting.

I'm sure there will be a place for you to upload a copy of your certificate showing you got the 3 hours recert but there is no certificate just yet for instructors to complete.

I just emailed my State Rep about the lack of information from the ISP so far about renewing the licenses as early as April 2019, seeing if she can get any information about the certificate template, way for people to renew, and a timeline. She surprisingly sent me a response saying she would reach out to her contacts at the ISP and let me know (Rep Michelle Mussman 56th Dist). I'll post anything further here.

Here is the response from my State Rep, Michelle Mussman:

ISP tells me: "It's is their hope to have something forthcoming in next few months. Rest assured they are fully aware of approaching expirations."
Sorry, I could not get them to be more specific and I asked more than once.
Hope this is helpful though,
Michelle
Even though State Rep Mussman is against Conceal Carry, I do appreciate her checking into this. It isn't much but it's something I guess.

The longer they wait, the larger the flood of renewals at one time will be, and they'll be swamped.

I'd renew now if the option was available.

If they are repeating the same BG checks and have the same 90/120 day window to do them (still not sure why it takes that long) they need to be ready sooner rather than later.

I just emailed my State Rep about the lack of information from the ISP so far about renewing the licenses as early as April 2019, seeing if she can get any information about the certificate template, way for people to renew, and a timeline. She surprisingly sent me a response saying she would reach out to her contacts at the ISP and let me know (Rep Michelle Mussman 56th Dist). I'll post anything further here.

Here is the response from my State Rep, Michelle Mussman:

ISP tells me: "It's is their hope to have something forthcoming in next few months. Rest assured they are fully aware of approaching expirations."
Sorry, I could not get them to be more specific and I asked more than once.
Hope this is helpful though,
Michelle
Even though State Rep Mussman is against Conceal Carry, I do appreciate her checking into this. It isn't much but it's something I guess.

hope , something , months

check is in the mail ....

The longer they wait, the larger the flood of renewals at one time will be, and they'll be swamped.

If they are repeating the same BG checks and have the same 90/120 day window to do them (still not sure why it takes that long) they need to be ready sooner rather than later.

Why?

Your license is still good when it has expired AS long as you have applied for a renewal. So you can wait til the day before your license expires, apply, and you are legal. What ISP needs to make sure their system does is show that you have applied when they run your license.

( c ) A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

>>>> © A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act.

doing a word search and can't find that in the text - can you point out where - tks

Why?

Your license is still good when it has expired AS long as you have applied for a renewal. So you can wait til the day before your license expires, apply, and you are legal. What ISP needs to make sure their system does is show that you have applied when they run your license.

( c ) A license is invalid upon expiration of the license, unless the licensee has submitted an application to renew the license, and the applicant is otherwise eligible to possess a license under this Act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

Why? Technically you are right, you are good for 6 months.

In the meantime every day they arent prepared, then more and more are expiring each day (or soon) with the renewals needing checked as well as new applicants...so sooner is better than later. The time frames seem longer now at times than when the original apps started being accepted. Do they have a plan? A budget? A timeline? Resources? Are they in sync with their outside software vendor? Just dont wait too late!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So, just to bump this, I recently received the attached renewal info. It appears that the content of the 3-hour renewal has been set, but has the state provided a certificate for us to upload after our recertification training? Also, Is there a time limit; e.g., can I take the class now to apply in Dec 2018 for a Mar 2019 expiration/renewal? Thanks in advance...

post-3259-0-44066700-1535939839_thumb.gif

So, just to bump this, I recently received the attached renewal info. It appears that the content of the 3-hour renewal has been set, but has the state provided a certificate for us to upload after our recertification training? Also, Is there a time limit; e.g., can I take the class now to apply in Dec 2018 for a Mar 2019 expiration/renewal? Thanks in advance...

So the state has sent instructors an updated, 3 hour renewal certificate to use. Rumor has it, the state will allow you to renew 5 months before your expiration date. You can take it now, then apply when you need to. As long as you have your renewal submitted, your ICCL remains valid even if past your expiration date.

Archived