Your opinion on best (suburban) home defense weapon and ammo.

2smartby1/2

Saving for a multi-purpose shotgun at the moment but based on these videos from Paul Harrell I would be going with 12 gauge bird shot based on damage to meat target and the lack of over penetration to the exterior of the house. My neighbors walls are ~12-15 feet from my exterior on both sides.

Bird shot for home defense video https://youtu.be/zaR1EVybUgc

Shotguns dont s- - k for home defense video https://youtu.be/CiHHgjaR0TI

Saving for a multi-purpose shotgun at the moment but based on these videos from Paul Harrell I would be going with 12 gauge bird shot based on damage to meat target and the lack of over penetration to the exterior of the house. My neighbors walls are ~12-15 feet from my exterior on both sides, none are brick.

Bird shot for home defense video https://youtu.be/zaR1EVybUgc

Shotguns dont s- - k for home defense video https://youtu.be/CiHHgjaR0TI

Remember when VP Cheney shot an aquaintance in the face with birdshot? It took that guy two days to die, and that's only because one pellet lodged just above the victim's heart. Home defense requires more immediacy in cessation on the part of the home invader(s). Paul Harrell will also warn that racking and or firing a shotgun are not enough to reliably deter bad men.

Remember when VP Cheney shot an aquaintance in the face with birdshot? It took that guy two days to die, and that's only because one pellet lodged just above the victim's heart. Home defense requires more immediacy in cessation on the part of the home invader(s). Paul Harrell will also warn that racking and or firing a shotgun are not enough to reliably deter bad men.

Actually, he didn't even die. He had a heart attack related to the pellet you mentioned, but the heart attack wasn't fatal. He's actually alive to this day, at the ripe old age of 91.

It seems like there are about 4 factors to worry about.

1. You hit your target, will you stop your target?

2. You hit your target, will it go through your target (and if so, how far?)

3 You miss your target, how many interior walls will it go through?

4. You miss your target, how far will the carry down the block if a round go through a window in your house? (and how lethal?)

No matter what, "missing" is bad news. But it sounds like buck-shot (#4) is still the best mix of all the above attributes for a home defense round.

I'm a bit smitten with a .300 pistol right now, so I'll look at frangible ammo. But a shotgun is still on my future list.

12-gauge semi-auto bullpup loaded with #4 buck

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2018/08/mka-1923-bullpup-shotgun/

For two or three years, when I was young and stupid, I kept a breakaway, single shot 12 guage loaded with a deer slug, which I planned to go to FIRST, before the 6" barreled Python.

God, I wish I hadn't sold that Python ...

No reviews yet, but Tim at MAC is a big bullpup fan so I imagine he's going to be coming out with a review soon.

He reviewed the DDI Puma so I think he'll do a good review of the Husan

OMG that thing weighs nearly 10 pounds, unloaded! I don't even understand how that can be. The butt should be hollowed out and have springs in there against the butt plate, to lessen recoil, too IMO.

The DDI Puma weighs 8 pounds and has greater OAL. I'm not sure why the MKA 1923 is 1.7 lbs pounds heavier. I'm also not sure why they put a 20" barrel on it. The Bullpup Unlimited conversion kits take a 18.5" 870 down to 28.5" OAL and that's with a cushy recoil pad . They could have shortened the MKA's 29.5 inches and still put a cushy recoil pad on it.

Quick update....just ordered 50 rounds of :

Inceptor Sport Utility Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout 88 Grain SRR Frangible Lead-Free

p_105053422_1.jpg

When it comes in....I'll load 20 rounds in a mag (or 10 rounds in two mags) just to test them out and zero the .300 I'm building. The remaining 30 rounds will go into a dedicated .300 mag for home defense while I look into to other rounds as well.

MidwayUSA had them on clearance for $28.20 a box (had about 7 boxes left when I ordered).....so $0.56 a round.

50 BMG. You never know when the invaders might be wearing level IV Body armor. If multiple offenders you can also shoot through 3 of them as they pile through the door. But if your worried about over-penetration or accidentally downing an airliner with an escaping round then some of the aforementioned choices make good backups. /purple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived