Do you carry in malls?

splash

I see a no smoking sign on the door, I'm all good no smoking, I'm not looking for additional information on the statue about said sign!

No sign on the entrance door, means I'm in. I'm not capable of reading the owners minds like some who say the intention of the owners is this or that. If they intend to keep me out, then post the doors.

Ironically, Woodfield is CLEARLY posted as a non-smoking location. At each of the mall entrances, there's a wide set of doors...perhaps 8 or 12 in total. There is a no smoking sticker prominently displayed on each and every of the 8 or 12 individual doors. They could easily add a "no guns" sign right next to each no smoking sign if they wished to do so.

I have a quick question about the actual definitions of terms in the law.....just to be sure.

Part of the actual law on posting uses the terms "Building, premises or real property", correct?

Okay, the word building means any constructed shelter-like item. A warehouse, a store, even a garage or machine shop. Brick and mortar, lumber and roof. No problem.

Premises I'm supposing means the possibly a group of buildings, to include for example, a store with an attached parking garage and the immediate landscaped grounds around it? Some thing like that?

But the term "Real Property". What exactly does that mean? Does it mean just the land outside a business or place, like a parking lot? I'm thinking the old definition of "Real Estate" meaning just the land, like farm land or subdivided lots in a development.

Does the term 'real property' in the law specifically mean parking lots? And does that build a "NGZ Wall" around everything inside the parking lots, as in a shopping mall?

What's the Legal Definition of "Real Property"?

The legal definition of real property is land, and anything growing on, affixed to, or built upon land. This also includes man-made buildings as well as crops. Real property is best characterized as property that doesn’t move, or that is attached to the land. This is in contrast to personal property, which can be moved or transferred physically.

The terms “real estate” and “real property” can be used interchangeably. Also, real property may include not just the land, but anything that is permanently located within or under the land. This may include oil, gases, and minerals found under the land. Another term used for real property is “premises”.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/legal-definition-of-real-property.html

The no gun zone would start at the point where the signs are compliantly placed. If the signs are at all the entrances of the parking area it is a GFZ. The parking lot exemption allows one to drive in, but gun must be left in the car on exiting the car. If the sign is at the door of a structure, one can go armed anywhere in the parking lot, but cannot enter a building through any posted entryway. In a large commercial complex one may be legally able to enter some businesses armed, but not in others that are posted.

I see a no smoking sign on the door, I'm all good no smoking, I'm not looking for additional information on the statue about said sign!

No sign on the entrance door, means I'm in. I'm not capable of reading the owners minds like some who say the intention of the owners is this or that. If they intend to keep me out, then post the doors.

Ironically, Woodfield is CLEARLY posted as a non-smoking location. At each of the mall entrances, there's a wide set of doors...perhaps 8 or 12 in total. There is a no smoking sticker prominently displayed on each and every of the 8 or 12 individual doors. They could easily add a "no guns" sign right next to each no smoking sign if they wished to do so.

Yes, exactly.

They have taken the time to post the "legal" no smoking signs, if theres even a legal sign as I have no idea.

But they have taken the "hands off" approach many herd have posted about at many businesses we frequent...Starbucks?

Corporate statement about respect others, please don't but if you do follow the law.

Straddling the fence is what we are talking about...AGAIN...but it's not a subject any one of us here can definitively answer or make a solid statement on, we just don't know.

Thanks soylentgreen.

Archived