Do you carry in malls?

splash

Actually there are numerous posts on the subject. Of course if it's LEGALLY posted you can't carry. All other what if's if it's not this or not that don't matter if it's legally posted you can't carry.

If they have a sign, compliant or not, I honor their wishes and don't force them to accept my money for their goods and services. If they have no sign and I would need to read their entire code of conduct to find out what their position is, then I assume they don't mind and go about my business.

As a general rule, I stay away from malls, particularly during busy times (holidays and weekends). If I must go, I will go in the evening during the week or when the mall first opens on a weekend. I can't stand crowds...and...if a terrorist is going to do a mall attack, they will plan it for when they can cause the most carnage. I think it's safe to say no one hellbent on killing will attack a mall at 8PM on a Monday.

When I do go, I will go to a mall that's not posted. Or, I will enter through an entrance that's not posted. At Woodfield Mall, for instance, none of the anchor stores are posted and none of the thoroughfares between the anchor stores and the mall itself are posted either. I don't see a sign...I carry. As far as I know, there's no law saying you can't actively avoid signs. I actively avoid paying taxes by investing in tax-deferred retirement savings.

The only thing to know is...you may become a "test case". Be prepared for that. I'm willing to take the risk. I think I can make a reasonable argument to law enforcement and/or the courts that I saw no sign because there wasn't any sign.

Do what you will with this information. The risk is on you.

The mall in question has no GFZ sign on any doors but they have a code of conduct that says no weapons allowed.

I can answer this. I actually wrote the "Posted!" app.

Malls with no GFZ signs but with a note in code of conduct are not actually Posted. They aren't really making an effort to ban firearms and it is perfectly legal to carry there. (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.)

The reason they are added at "Lite" is because some gun-owners prefer to not do business at places who have made an anti-2a statement or policy. So places who don't actually try to prohibit firearms but who have said anti-gun things (in corp statement or on a sign) get added there. You're fine to carry in such places, but it's always good to know their stance as an FYI. Personally, I will shop (and carry) at anti-gun Lite locations.

This is a little different from a place which is posted, but not posted compliantly. Such as "soylent green" mentioned, Woodfield is not posted on all entrances. However, they are trying to ban you from carrying. While you would almost certainly win in a court trial, this option is more risky. (It just boils down to do you want to risk being a test case if something happens.) Places like that are added as the normal "anti-gun", but people usually make a note in the description about discrepancies in compliance.

Still confused on what to do about Oakbrook Mall...

Go up to the door.

Look around it very carefully.

Do you see a compliant sign?

Yes, turn around and walk away, they are posted and you may not carry.

No, then they are not posted in accordance with the law and you may enter carrying.

It's that simple.

You are not required to search the entire property for signs, nor research their policies and procedures.

If they wish to ban carry on their premises they MUST (according to the law - see excerpts below) post a sign, clearly and conspicuously, at the entrance.

NO sign at the entrance - it's not posted. MUST and SHALL are defined legal terms with specific definitions.

The owner of private real property of any type may prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on the property under his or her control. The owner must post a sign in accordance with subsection (d) of this Section indicating that firearms are prohibited on the property, unless the property is a private residence.

Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or premises is a private residence.

To clarify, the Oakbrook Mall itself has no signs posted on their doors. But, at each entrance to the mall property is a CPZ sign posted on a light post as you pull in. It's there but I would say it's not conspicuously posted, especially if you're paying attention to your driving...

If you're not driving odds are you wouldn't even look at a light post and would never see the sign.

I posted about this a while back, I'm sure it's archived by now.

I also added a picture of the sign in question.

A rather large debate ensued as to giving business your money vs whether or not the sign actually even comes close to being compliant!

I've since lost/deleted the picture, but it was as LARGE street style sign as large or bigger than a stop style sign.

They are posted on the circular drive entrances (all of them) and yes they are up on the light posts.

There was additional lettering on these signs at the time iirc, and there was no border at all on them.

As has been beaten like a dead horse before, someone posted that about it back then, the sign was not official size and didn't have a border, PKUS it had extra verbiage on it.

They property owners are posted this, but I didn't see ANY signs on or inside the store areas why walking through there that day.

I left my handgun in the car that first day, but have since been back two additional times and have not left it in the car.

Just me, I'm not attempting to tell anyone what or how to do it.

Maybe someone can get the picture from the archives and repost it here!?

The sign itself (i'll get a pic soon) is actually not that big. It's maybe about 18" x 30" (i'm gonna get actual measurements even because OCD...).

The law requires a minimum size but there's no limit on the upper end as long as the elements are all there. At least that's the way I understand it. So, the size is not an issue.

I'm just calling into question whether or not it's conspicuously placed and whether or not it's actually posted in accordance with the law.

Right Bubbac, the horse's remains must have been pureed long ago.

Most likely if the signs follow the letter of the law and ISP regulations, anyone passing them and then leaving their car to walk through the parking lot while carrying is in technical violation of the law. Technically, anyone driving 1 mile over the speed limit is violating a traffic law, but no one is arrested or cited for it.

I am not suggesting that anyone blatantly ignore the law, but this does not seem to be a big problem. I am not aware of anyone being arrested for this in the 2.5+ years since CCLs were first issued. If there had been a lot it would have been reported on the news and here. Some people here are just being paranoiac. The vast majority of the public would not even recognize that a specific person is carrying.

To clarify, the Oakbrook Mall itself has no signs posted on their doors. But, at each entrance to the mall property is a CPZ sign posted on a light post as you pull in. It's there but I would say it's not conspicuously posted, especially if you're paying attention to your driving...

I'd probably carry there, as it's not likely I'd be looking for signs on light posts as I drove in. However, I have no idea where this mall is, so it's unlikely that it'll ever come up for me.

As for you... you know it's posted, you've seen the signs... so I'd say no carry for you...

As for you... you know it's posted, you've seen the signs... so I'd say no carry for you...

Yes and no, like before, those who think certain signs are non vs compliant are doing what they read and/or believe.

This debate is a long running one, rife with feeling and angst, it's all good, it will be a little clearer when rmart gets a picture.

But then, it will only inflame the topic again and it's just a rehash of every thread about non vs compliant.

I do apologize for getting of track, what I really wanted to post was about the "CoC" posting off to ones right or left when entering a building or business.

While I'm the strange one I'll admit, I walk into a situation like this and am looking forward going through one sometimes two sets of doors to get inside. I'm not looking at the side walls for information which I might need about where I'm at and what they want/think I need to know/do.

I see a no smoking sign on the door, I'm all good no smoking, I'm not looking for additional information on the statue about said sign!

No sign on the entrance door, means I'm in. I'm not capable of reading the owners minds like some who say the intention of the owners is this or that. If they intend to keep me out, then post the doors.

Whew, sorry so long.

Yes and no, like before, those who think certain signs are non vs compliant are doing what they read and/or believe.

This debate is a long running one, rife with feeling and angst, it's all good, it will be a little clearer when rmart gets a picture.

But then, it will only inflame the topic again and it's just a rehash of every thread about non vs compliant.

I do apologize for getting of track, what I really wanted to post was about the "CoC" posting off to ones right or left when entering a building or business.

While I'm the strange one I'll admit, I walk into a situation like this and am looking forward going through one sometimes two sets of doors to get inside. I'm not looking at the side walls for information which I might need about where I'm at and what they want/think I need to know/do.

I see a no smoking sign on the door, I'm all good no smoking, I'm not looking for additional information on the statue about said sign!

No sign on the entrance door, means I'm in. I'm not capable of reading the owners minds like some who say the intention of the owners is this or that. If they intend to keep me out, then post the doors.

Whew, sorry so long.

I'm working under the assumption that the signs are the ISP approved signs, as he made note that they met the minimum size requirements.

Archived