Expired FCCL and LEO interaction

THE KING

I know this topic has been discussed before and everyone has concerns about carrying on an expired license even though they submitted their renewal.

430 ILCS 66/70 © is the section of the law that stipulates that your license is still valid as long as you submit your application for renewal prior to the expiration date.

I renewed my license on 2/4/19 and my license expired on 2/28/19. Today is 3/10/19 and I want to share with you guys and gals what I found out today.

This morning I had a buddy of mine who is a LEO call me because he had a gun question. He stopped by and we had a discussion on the gun laws and I was able to answer his question. Then I had a question of my own that alot of you have so I thought I would get an answer and I did.

Let me start by saying this. If you are driving and get pulled over, a LEO will run the license plate on your vehicle. The in squad computer comes back with the vehicle information and the registered owner of that vehicle. If you are the owner, your FOID and FCCL will show up in the LEADS system but that is on a different screen from the vehicle information.

If you are stopped by a LEO and the above scenario does not apply, the LEO must run your drivers license to get your FOID and FCCL status. My buddy was on duty so I asked him to run my drivers license and he did. Here is what I found out.

My FCCL information came up and said I was active. Yes, ACTIVE even though it expired on 2/28/19 and today is 3/10/19. The screen said " Application for renewal submitted" next to that it showed "430 ILCS 66/70 ©". The statute was listed on the screen so the officer knows and can reference the state law if he deems it necessary. I asked if every officer in the state sees the same information and he said YES.

So, we now know that the LEADS system is updated with your status and the fact that you submitted your application for renewal. I hope everyone can take a deep breath and feel more at ease. You are good to go.

No need to worry anymore whether your legal to carry or not. LEO's do know that your good as long as they run your drivers license.

Hope this information helps.

KING

Good to know, thanks King. I only hope all LEO’s are as familiar. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if they aren't familiar, it's pretty clear. As long as they run your drivers license, your in the system and showing ACTIVE.

One thing that I did not see on the CAD screen was my expiration date. It does not show up. Just your status and that you have submitted a renewal.

If a LEO looks at your FCCL and sees that it is expired he won't know that it is still active until he runs your drivers license. At that point, if it was me, I would be asking him to run my drivers license so he knows that your still active per the law.

Unless I am in another state that normally recognizes my IL FCCL but I am STILL WAITING FOR MY NEW CARD and the inspect element still says "under review"! (applied 01/07/2019)

Dear ISP-FSB,

Do you realize what is happening to the law abiding, responsible gun owners out here? Do you even care? or Are you happy with your departments performance?

King,

sorry to rant. thanks for the info

Unless I am in another state that normally recognizes my IL FCCL but I am STILL WAITING FOR MY NEW CARD and the inspect element still says "under review"! (applied 01/07/2019)

Dear ISP-FSB,

Do you realize what is happening to the law abiding, responsible gun owners out here? Do you even care? or Are you happy with your departments performance?

King,

sorry to rant. thanks for the info

If LEADS is being updated, Id like to think out of state Nlets members running your card will get the same info, but we dont know for sure yet.

Thanks for this post. I was curious, but wasn't willing to run my own DL or CCL number to risk "unauthorized use of LEADS" to see when I already knew that by statute I was still legal to carry.

If you are out of state and a LEO runs your plate will he get the same info?

Yes. Any outside agency running a successful query through LEADS will get back the same information as an agency within Illinois. They get the same information from SOS when running a license plate, a VIN, an ID, or a DL...same goes for a CCL (especially if attached to a DL).

Also, to that end, any agency (outside or inside of Illinois) running your license plate, if it has your DL number connected to the registration will get back:

The vehicle registration.

Your DL status, which would in turn return:

Your FOID status (I believe...it's been a while).

Your CCL status.

If you get pulled over (provided your DL number is part of the registration file) and there's a delay before the officer gets out of the squad car, chances are he/she got your plate info back & knows you have a CCL by the time he/she makes contact with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is still under review

Renewed 3/1/19

Expired 3/20/19

Can I still carry or does it have to say active?

I drive to the city every day for work. Sometimes I'm in the most dangerous part of the city and the Chicago police are so anti gun that they will react differently, like putting Big Oboe in cuffs.

You renewed before your expiration date. Your CCL is still valid during the entire renewal process, status doesn't matter, as long as you are indeed CCL eligible.

Renewed 3/1/19

Expired 3/20/19

I drive to the city every day for work. Sometimes I'm in the most dangerous part of the city and the Chicago police are so anti gun that they will react differently, like putting Big Oboe in cuffs.

You are good to go. Carry on.

Renewed 3/1/19

Expired 3/20/19

You renewed before your expiration date. Your CCL is still valid during the entire renewal process, status doesn't matter, as long as you are indeed CCL eligible.

Correct. You are legal to carry in that situation. However, law enforcement interaction may vary... (e.g. It is possible that an anti-gun or ill-informed police officer may indeed arrest you and / or confiscate your firearm. We haven't seen it yet, but it is possible.) Hopefully police officers are being trained as to the law, but time will tell how different officers react... (IANAL)

Hey guys, new to the forum! So pretty much we are allowed to carry with an expired license assuming you renewed or submitted your application before expiration date then, correct? Sorry if this has been answered already... I’m still waiting on my card it’s still under review and my permit expired already.

Archived