Current FOID wait times...

SCARLETfrost

I received my renewal form in the mail on 10/21. No letter or notice that the card was going to expire in February, nothing. Assumed since it was addressed to me, I should probably renew.

Mailed the form out same day (10/21) and sent it certified mail.

Certificate came back that Illinois National Bank in Springfield received it on 10/26.

Check was cashed on 10/31.

Card was issued on 11/1 (guessing b/c my new expiration date is 11/1/2021.

Forget which day it came in, but got the new card in my mailbox 10 or so days later. Not sure what's going on with the postal service between Champaign and Springfield.

I can only imagine they have an expedited line for people who send in certified mail - we're the ones who cared enough to spend the extra $5.00 to make them hold up their end of the law.

I received my renewal form in the mail on 10/21. No letter or notice that the card was going to expire in February, nothing. Assumed since it was addressed to me, I should probably renew.

Certificate came back that Illinois National Bank in Springfield received it on 10/26.

Forget which day it came in, but got the new card in my mailbox 10 or so days later. Not sure what's going on with the postal service between Champaign and Springfield.

I can only imagine they have an expedited line for people who send in certified mail - we're the ones who cared enough to spend the extra $5.00 to make them hold up their end of the law.

I recieved my renewal notice about the same time. I sent it out on 10/29/11. I used a postal money order. I'm still waiting!

Yes they are some nice people at the isp and that's the heck of this whole thing. The people on the ground in the offices, the officers on the streets are mostly good folks many of whom support 2A and conceal carry. It's the handful of unelected unaccountable big wigs at the top of the tier that cause all the problems.

Welcome to the fight and thanks for joining us. thumbsup.png

:Crying. =-(: :Crying. =-(: :hmm: :headbang1: :headbang1:

I recieved my renewal notice about the same time. I sent it out on 10/29/11. I used a postal money order. I'm still waiting!

I'm still waiting. I called today and was on hold for 2 hours and then they hung up on me.

When you send it by certified mail and get a receipt that they received it and when they probably know that you'll complain when it isn't issued on time. You can prove when they received it and they can't say "you must be mistaken."

:Crying. =-(: :Crying. =-(: :hmm: :headbang1: :headbang1:

I'm still waiting. I called today and was on hold for 2 hours and then they hung up on me.

The hours are from 8:30 to 5:00. I got through at 8:31 and as of noe have been on hold for 25 min.

I think they like to see how long people will wait on line before they pick up. :headbang1:

Hello, first post,

My wife and I sent our applications at the same time. She got hers in about 3 weeks. 31 days after my check was cashed, I still didn't receive it. I e-mailed my state rep who got back to me the same day saying he would check into it. Magically, I received it a few days later. I even received a follow-up email asking if I received it; how nice is that. I wrote him back a nice thank you note to which he responded "let me know if there is anything else I can do for you."

If it's been longer than 30 days after your check has been cashed, contact your state rep.

Hello, first post,

My wife and I sent our applications at the same time. She got hers in about 3 weeks. 31 days after my check was cashed, I still didn't receive it. I e-mailed my state rep who got back to me the same day saying he would check into it. Magically, I received it a few days later. I even received a follow-up email asking if I received it; how nice is that. I wrote him back a nice thank you note to which he responded "let me know if there is anything else I can do for you."

If it's been longer than 30 days after your check has been cashed, contact your state rep.

Ron,

Welcome to the forum. We've been saying that for a long time.

The law says 30 days and the rabid anti-gun zealots in this state will lock you away for disobeying the law...except when it applys to them.

The anti-gun zealots passed the 30 day MANDATORY law but, this being Illinois, there is no penalty under the law when they violate it. Gee, who is surprised at that?!?

[sarcasm mode now off]

Hello, first post,

Ron,

Welcome to the forum. We've been saying that for a long time.

The law says 30 days and the rabid anti-gun zealots in this state will lock you away for disobeying the law...except when it applys to them.

The anti-gun zealots passed the 30 day MANDATORY law but, this being Illinois, there is no penalty under the law when they violate it. Gee, who is surprised at that?!?

[sarcasm mode now off]

Thanks for the welcome Lou. Just for grins, I pulled up the statute which reads "The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified........ shall be entitled to a Firearm Owners Identification Card......"

Not 30 days after the check was cashed, 30 days after received. And if they don't process the application within 30 days after received, oh well, sorry, we're running behind. I thought at one point there was legislation to fine the ISP for late processing but it never went through.

Glad to be part of the forum,

Ron

Thanks for the welcome Lou. Just for grins, I pulled up the statute which reads "The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified........ shall be entitled to a Firearm Owners Identification Card......"

Not 30 days after the check was cashed, 30 days after received. And if they don't process the application within 30 days after received, oh well, sorry, we're running behind. I thought at one point there was legislation to fine the ISP for late processing but it never went through.

Glad to be part of the forum,

Ron

Yep, that's why I'm such an advocate (regulars here are tired of seeing me type it) of mailing your application by certified/receipt requested mail. Cost is about $5 more, but you get a receipt showing the exact date that the application and check were recieved by the state's agent, in this case a bank. I think that's is a sad commentary that the initial contact with our foid app from the state is a bank. Would that indicate that they're more worried about getting the app processed and the card out? Or is the priority in getting the money deposited?

At any rate, welcome to the site, congratulations on your card.

AB

Welcome Ron! Glad you finally received your card!

I sent mine in on/about October 22, the check was cashed on the 26th. My card expired on 12/1. When I called the isp on 12/5 I was told (after holding for an hour and ten minutes) that my renewal would take another 2-3 weeks.

I called Mulligans office on 12/6 and received my card on 12/9.

Of course my renewal is now 10/01/1021 so they shafted me two months.

I sent mine in on/about October 22, the check was cashed on the 26th. My card expired on 12/1. When I called the isp on 12/5 I was told (after holding for an hour and ten minutes) that my renewal would take another 2-3 weeks.

I called Mulligans office on 12/6 and received my card on 12/9.

Of course my renewal is now 10/01/1021 so they shafted me two months.

Ain't it amazing what one little phone call will do? As has been said before, give 'em 30 days from the time they get it, then call your state rep or senator.

I recently moved back home to Illinois from Minnesota. And I am completely infuriated by this entire process. I have a permit to carry from Minnesota, as well as a NH permit, belonged to a gun club, and am a huge gun safety advocate. What bothers me the most is that I need to apply to the Illinois State Police in order to merely POSSESS a firearm, a right acknowledged by the Constitution, and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court. Since I am approx. 44 days waiting for a FOID card, this right is continued to be denied to myself and my family. I was not able to apply for a FOID card until I had an IL drivers license. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? Put my guns in storage? I was told that this is a gray area in the law, and encouraged to get the card ASAP. I cannot believe that of all the power the NRA-ILA has, this has not been brought up. How can the state require me to apply for a right that I already have, as confirmed by the Supremes? Sorry for the rant.... I need to touch base with my Rep, I hear that he is very 2A friendly. Anyway, thanks for fighting the fight!

I recently moved back home to Illinois from Minnesota. And I am completely infuriated by this entire process. I have a permit to carry from Minnesota, as well as a NH permit, belonged to a gun club, and am a huge gun safety advocate. What bothers me the most is that I need to apply to the Illinois State Police in order to merely POSSESS a firearm, a right acknowledged by the Constitution, and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court. Since I am approx. 44 days waiting for a FOID card, this right is continued to be denied to myself and my family. I was not able to apply for a FOID card until I had an IL drivers license. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? Put my guns in storage? I was told that this is a gray area in the law, and encouraged to get the card ASAP. I cannot believe that of all the power the NRA-ILA has, this has not been brought up. How can the state require me to apply for a right that I already have, as confirmed by the Supremes? Sorry for the rant.... I need to touch base with my Rep, I hear that he is very 2A friendly. Anyway, thanks for fighting the fight!

Welcome Shakleford. Yes, you would think that over the last 25 years, while other states were passing CCW laws, IL would at least have done away with the FOID. But, there seem to be other powers at work here that we "commoners" aren't privvy to. I'm sure you're aware, you're preaching to the choir here, but we're working on it.

Now, to deal with your present quandry, get on the phone to your state rep tomorrow morning!! If you don't mind, who is your rep?

Stick around, we need folks like you.

AB

Welcome Shakleford. Yes, you would think that over the last 25 years, while other states were passing CCW laws, IL would at least have done away with the FOID. But, there seem to be other powers at work here that we "commoners" aren't privvy to. I'm sure you're aware, you're preaching to the choir here, but we're working on it.

Now, to deal with your present quandry, get on the phone to your state rep tomorrow morning!! If you don't mind, who is your rep?

Stick around, we need folks like you.

AB

Thanks AB. I am near Manhattan, south of Joliet. Maybe I was mistaken on my rep, as my US Rep is Adam Kinzinger, who I know is very pro 2A. My IL rep is Jack McGuire, and I don't have any idea where he stands on the issue. I just checked, my check was cashed on November 14th, application was mailed on November 2nd.

I look forward to pitching in however I can to help this out. Minnesota had a rough go of getting it's carry law passed back in 2003, but we ended up with a pretty darn good law. I sure hope the same happens here. Thanks again!

After 53 days of waiting on my F.O.I.D. card renewel I called the state police. I was put on hold for 14 minutes. Finally, a lady answers and I tell her my application is 53 days old and ask how much longer will it take. She puts me on hold for about 3 minutes then tells me, "we're still reviewing your background check, if everything checks out ok you should have your new card in 7 to 10 business days." I received the card 2 days later.

Sigh......to anyone that's reading this thread and has a card that is overdue more than 30 days, please read the suggested steps to take. Call your State Rep or Senator (PM me your home address if you don't know who they are, I'll get the contact info for you) or PM TVandermyde here per his post. The law reads 30 days. Any longer than that is unacceptable. Don't call the ISP, your elected officials need to know what's going on here.

Merry Christmas!!

AB

• 2 weeks later...

My FOID expires in Feb and I have never received any type of notification or renewal form in the mail. I couldn't find a renewal form on line so I sent in the standard form.

It's not a renewal. You'll get a new card with a new number. Don't wait on them, if you sent it certified receipt and know exactly when they receive it, give them 30 days, no more. If not sent certified, 30 days after the check clears the bank, call your state Representative or Senator. Don't mess with calling ISP, you'll get a long wait, a runaround and then the standard 57 day BS. If your Rep or Senator won't help, then turn to Todd.

Maybe Todd wants to report to them that you didn't receive a renewal form in the mail. See what he says.

Good Luck!!

Tim

Archived