Ezell v Chicago - New info

RacerDave6

If Rhonda is at our next meeting I am going to get her the best meal they have there.

That young lady has overcome more difficulties than than most can even imagine.

Tell her thanks from me as well. I met her (and you) at the first ISRA grassroots meet in Hazel Crest but haven't been able to make it to any of the Midlothian ones :-(

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

In Federal Court today, Judge Virginia Kendall gave a favorable decision in Ezell v Chicago, the case that challenges Chicago's ban on firing ranges that are open to the public, and the new city ordinances as a result of this case that establish a de-facto ban on any ranges.

Heh, I just noticed who the judge was. I had federal jury duty last November, and Kendall was the judge in the case I heard. After the trial she invited all us jurors to her chambers to talk about the case or anything else we wanted, and I remember thinking she'd be a good judge to hear firearms cases because she had lots of pics of wildlife in her chambers, I figured her for at least someone who had a lot of hunters in her family. I never asked her about gun rights though.

eta: Federal judges have spectacular chambers btw!

Maybe she just likes animals? Or could be an, "Anti Hunting", person.

I'm a bit disappointed with this, actually. Yes, we now (theoretically) have more places to locate a range but have to deal with rules prohibiting minors from using the facilities, the stupid 500 foot rule, and excessive construction regulations. Well, let's see what happens next. Are any major news outlets reporting on the city's appeal?

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84626774/

Here's my problem. I live in Chicago and Ramh wants to tax my property so he can do construction projects at public schools that my tax dollars pay for.

However, not so long ago Ramh closes a bunch of schools that my tax dollars also paid for, and those buildings are sitting empty. If they are not put to some kind of use, they will decay and the wrecking ball will need to be brought in. More of my tax dollars will have to pay for that.

In the mean time, the courts have said that Chicago cannot infringe on it's citizens right to firearm ranges. This has been quite some time ago, and not one range exists.

Chicago has, if I am to understand correctly, an eminent domain clause which allows the city to comandeer property for the benefit of the city.

Since the city is under orders to allow ranges and is thumbing their noses at the court, my suggestion would be to add a prayer for relief into the lawsuit where the closed schools will be taken for ranges by eminent domain, to help the City of Chicago fulfill their obligation to the courts,

Go Rhonda!

Here's my problem. I live in Chicago and Ramh wants to tax my property so he can do construction projects at public schools that my tax dollars pay for.

However, not so long ago Ramh closes a bunch of schools that my tax dollars also paid for, and those buildings are sitting empty. If they are not put to some kind of use, they will decay and the wrecking ball will need to be brought in. More of my tax dollars will have to pay for that.

In the mean time, the courts have said that Chicago cannot infringe on it's citizens right to firearm ranges. This has been quite some time ago, and not one range exists.

Chicago has, if I am to understand correctly, an eminent domain clause which allows the city to comandeer property for the benefit of the city.

Since the city is under orders to allow ranges and is thumbing their noses at the court, my suggestion would be to add a prayer for relief into the lawsuit where the closed schools will be taken for ranges by eminent domain, to help the City of Chicago fulfill their obligation to the courts,

Go Rhonda!

But we can't convert a school into a ZOMG gun range! Think of the chil'in! or something

Go Rhonda!

this is great!!!

• 4 weeks later...

For convenience here is a link to the CA7 oral argument audio search form:

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/oralArguments/oar.jsp

The page has links for arguments from today, the past week, and the past month, or you can search by case number. The case numbers for the Ezell appeal are 14-3312 and 14-3322.

For convenience here is a link to the CA7 oral argument audio search form:

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/oralArguments/oar.jsp

The page has links for arguments from today, the past week, and the past month, or you can search by case number. The case numbers for the Ezell appeal are 14-3312 and 14-3322.

That tool doesn't work for me in either IE or Chrome. Is there a direct link to the audio?

eta: nvm, I think it doesn't work because it hasn't been posted yet.

wow. the first series of questions about how "this guns, not books" was seriously ugly... A judge basically saying "Because Guns!". wow.

Just thru with the city's opening bout. Alan is starting now. I have to ask:

Val How is it that you were able to control you snickering thru the city's lame presentation?

Who says I did? :laugh: It was unreal, we kind of sat there in disbelief, which I admit turned into a sort of glee-control-yourself-don't-get-thrown-out-of-the-courtroom kind of thing!

• Molly B. unpinned this topic

Archived