States Where Illinois Carry Licensees May Carry

Molly B.

This is from the analysis of HB234 which is now law in Ohio on Handgunlaw site.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

“Provides that if a person who is an Ohio resident and has a valid concealed handgun license from another state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the Attorney General, that out-of-state license will be recognized in Ohio for a period of six months after the person has become a resident of Ohio (R.C. 109.69(A) and ( b )(2) and 2923.126(D)).

Legislative Service Commission -2- Am. Sub. H.B. 234 As Passed by the General Assembly

After the six-month period described in the preceding dot point, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person must apply for an Ohio concealed handgun license (R.C. 109.69(A) and ©(2) and 2923.126(D)).

Provides that if a person who is not an Ohio resident and has a valid concealed handgun license from another state, regardless of whether the other state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the Attorney General, and the person is temporarily in Ohio, that out-of-state license will be recognized in Ohio during the time that the person is temporarily in Ohio (R.C. 109.69(B )(3))”.

The attorney general of Ohio has not made reciprocity agreements with several states, but the Ohio law that went into effect last year makes that a moot point. There are several articles online about Ohio HB 234.

Edited by Quiet Observer

• 1 month later...

I have touched base again with the General Counsel's office in Texas to see how recognition of Illinois CCLs is progressing. She confirmed that Texas had communicated with IL and we qualify, now we need the Texas AG to send approval to the Governor who will issue the proclamation of recognition. She was very optimistic but said it's a slow process. In her opinion, we should see movement by summer. :)

What about Ohio?

From the Ohio Attorney General's site:

Effective March 23, 2015, Ohio recognizes the concealed handgun license of any non-resident who has a valid concealed handgun license from any other state, regardless of whether Ohio has entered into a reciprocity agreement with that state. Because of Ohio’s recognition of those licenses, the Attorney General has confirmed automatic reciprocity for Ohio license holders with several additional states.

I have touched base again with the General Counsel's office in Texas to see how recognition of Illinois CCLs is progressing. She confirmed that Texas had communicated with IL and we qualify, now we need the Texas AG to send approval to the Governor who will issue the proclamation of recognition. She was very optimistic but said it's a slow process. In her opinion, we should see movement by summer. :)

Way to go Molly. :clap:

Way to go Molly. :clap:

Good news. For something that they're supposed to do on an annual basis it does seems like a very slow process.

The "deal" on carry recognition/reciprocity to correct the mess the dems tried to make in Virginia was signed into law today.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160226/concealed-carry-reciprocity-deal-signed-in-virginia

Apparently their "recognize all permits" begins July 1st, so Illinois will add another state then.

Not necessarily; according to the text in the NRA-ILA link and the one below, the Virginia Attorney General will be required to enter into agreements with other states on reciprocal recognition. Many other states have similar laws. I believe that Madigan has not negotiated with any state in regard to concealed carry reciprocity. If she continues with that policy, the Virginia law will be meaningless for those of us who only have an Illinois CCL.

https://legiscan.com/VA/text/HB1163/id/1296722

The "deal" on carry recognition/reciprocity to correct the mess the dems tried to make in Virginia was signed into law today.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160226/concealed-carry-reciprocity-deal-signed-in-virginia

Apparently their "recognize all permits" begins July 1st, so Illinois will add another state then.

Not necessarily; according to the text in the NRA-ILA link and the one below, the Virginia Attorney General will be required to enter into agreements with other states on reciprocal recognition. Many other states have similar laws. I believe that Madigan has not negotiated with any state in regard to concealed carry reciprocity. If she continues with that policy, the Virginia law will be meaningless for those of us who only have an Illinois CCL.

https://legiscan.com/VA/text/HB1163/id/1296722

I think you're reading it backwards. VA will recognize permits from all states. The reciprocity agreement clause in this statute directs the VA AG to attempt to enter into agreements as an additional requirement, which benefits VA permit holders visiting other states.

Madigan can't legally enter into any reciprocity agreements. There is no provision to do so in the IL FCCA.

Now this is someone who does more than just talk about gun rights.

Thanks for all of your hard work Valinda.

I am less skeptical after reading the bill. It seems to cover 2 different actions: (1) Virginia recognizing CCW permits of all other states that meet the requirements, and (2) The Virginia State Police, or Attorney General, negotiating with other states to recognize Virginia CCW.

"A. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, if available; (ii) the permit or license holder carries a photo identification issued by a government agency of any state or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State and displays the permit or license and such identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer; and (iii) the permit or license holder has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked".

https://legiscan.com/VA/text/HB1163/2016

I deleted the crossed out text from the linked page. I think that the Illinois CCL would count as a government issued photo ID. If not, the Driver’s License or official state ID would.

I am less skeptical after reading the bill. It seems to cover 2 different actions: (1) Virginia recognizing CCW permits of all other states that meet the requirements, and (2) The Virginia State Police, or Attorney General, negotiating with other states to recognize Virginia CCW.

"A. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, if available; (ii) the permit or license holder carries a photo identification issued by a government agency of any state or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State and displays the permit or license and such identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer; and (iii) the permit or license holder has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked".

https://legiscan.com/VA/text/HB1163/2016

I deleted the crossed out text from the linked page. I think that the Illinois CCL would count as a government issued photo ID. If not, the Driver’s License or official state ID would.

With the bill signed on Friday, VA will recognize all permits. But it doesn't take effect for several months.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to TN (Nashville) this weekend. I can find general rules online, but not their actual law as written. I am mostly concerned about the bars at night. I was there over winter and there are some shady characters that roam the streets at night time. One website says "under the influence" is not allowed to carry. The other ones say "not allowed any alcoholic beverage and carrying". Does anyone know how the law is written word for word? I know they started allowing firearms in bars around 2010 from my googling. Trying to find if it's worded like IL though.

I am going to TN (Nashville) this weekend. I can find general rules online, but not their actual law as written. I am mostly concerned about the bars at night. I was there over winter and there are some shady characters that roam the streets at night time. One website says "under the influence" is not allowed to carry. The other ones say "not allowed any alcoholic beverage and carrying". Does anyone know how the law is written word for word? I know they started allowing firearms in bars around 2010 from my googling. Trying to find if it's worded like IL though.

As far as I can tell it's legal, but "no guns" signs do have the force of law there so be sure to check.

This site is a great resource: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1321

TENNESSEE CODE ANNOTATED
© 2016 by The State of Tennessee
All rights reserved

*** Current through the 2015 Regular Session ***

Title 39 Criminal Offenses
Chapter 17 Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare
Part 13 Weapons

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1321 (2015)

39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence -- Penalty.

(a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue.

( b ) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm if the person is both:

(1) Within the confines of an establishment open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102, are served for consumption on the premises; and

(2) Consuming any alcoholic beverage listed in subdivision ( b )(1).

( c ) (1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In addition to the punishment authorized by subdivision ©(1), if the violation is of subsection (a), occurs in an establishment described in subdivision ( b )(1), and the person has a handgun permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1351, such permit shall be suspended in accordance with § 39-17-1352 for a period of three (3) years.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Edited by Quiet Observer

So it looks like zero tolerance from the above quote? Obviously only in an establishment that serves anyways. As I read it, I can be under the influence and carry as long as the place does not serve alcohol, ie: the street.

Paragraph (a) says you can't carry under the influence... so it depends on what their definition of under the influence is.

So it looks like zero tolerance from the above quote? Obviously only in an establishment that serves anyways. As I read it, I can be under the influence and carry as long as the place does not serve alcohol, ie: the street.

Zero tolerance is true in several states. In the vast majority of states, you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. But many of them have the rule that you cannot consume a drink.

For those who have the "CCW" iPhone or Android app clicking "Restaurants Serving Alcohol no/yes" will show that state's law (for states that have it spelled out).

We're very accommodating. Hey, when this happens, come on down and OC. Now, I just wish you guys could fix IL for when I visit my daughter. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...