ISRA v Raoul - ISRA challenges Gun Dealer Licensing

steveTA84

https://www.nprillinois.org/post/gun-dealers-rifle-association-sue-block-new-state-requirements#stream/0

...But one of the legislators who sponsored the law — Democratic state Sen. Don Harmon, from Oak Park — said he expects it to be upheld in court.

“I’ve read the complaint. I haven’t studied it. It seems like pretty weak soup to me,” Harmon said in a telephone interview. “I don’t know how it impairs anybody’s Second Amendment rights — you can still buy a gun.”

<snip>

“The fact that almost 1,200 gun dealers in the state are seeking certification of their license suggests it will be just as easy to buy a gun after the certifications are in place,” Harmon said.

He said he doesn’t think there’s enough information to understand why the number of state applications is so much smaller than the number of federal licensees.

“Many could be what the Second Amendment advocates call ‘kitchen-table dealers,’” Harmon said. “They don’t maintain a retail location. They aren’t engaged in selling guns on a regular basis. They may be holding off until they would need to do a background check the next time.”

“Others could be the larger stores that have multiple outlets where a single application could count for 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 different locations and separate federal firearm licenses,” he said.

<snip>

“Perfectly reasonable explanations and no evidence whatsoever that any gun dealers have gone out of business as a result of the requirement to file this application,” Harmon said.

<snip>

Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s administration said he was proud to make gun dealer certification the second bill he signed into law after taking office in January.

“This common-sense, bipartisan law makes sure guns don’t fall into the wrong hands and licenses gun dealers just like restaurants and other businesses,” spokeswoman Jordan Abudayyeh said in a statement. “We’re certain the state will vigorously defend this important new law.”...

https://www.nprillinois.org/post/gun-dealers-rifle-association-sue-block-new-state-requirements#stream/0

He said he doesn’t think there’s enough information to understand why the number of state applications is so much smaller than the number of federal licensees.

I'm sure dealers' testimony will adequately explain that, Senator Harmon. It's not as if those who closed have disappeared from the face of the earth.

Archived