ABC News: NRA Targets Bump Fire Stocks

mikew

NRA: Bump stocks 'should be subject to additional regulations'

The National Rifle Association is calling for a federal review of bump stocks, a weapon modifier that allows semi-automatic weapons to fire faster.

The NRA, in its first statement since the Oct. 1 shooting in Las Vegas, said that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives should "immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law."

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations," the statement reads.

The full statement, issued jointly by NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre and the head of its legislative arm Chris Cox, opens by addressing "the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas."

more at link

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/nra-bump-stocks-subject-additional-regulations/story?id=50308261&cid=share_addthis_widget&title=NRA%3A+Bump+stocks+%27should+be+subject+to+additional+regulations%27

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement

NRA's Statement

(FAIRFAX, VA) - The National Rifle Association today issued the following statement:

"In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented. Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control. Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks. This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world. In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations. In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities. To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

nrashield_0000_shield-alone-gray.png?wid

Slide Fire is about to take one for the team.

Yep.

I can live with that, it's not like I have any use for it anyway as no range I have access to would allow it. And besides that you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR or any other semi-auto. And if you want to bump fire from your shoulder you could probably make a sufficiently spongy shoulder pad that would do the trick nicely.

My Hoosier brother has a buddy with two submachine guns - a S&W M76 and an old Thompson - he lets us shoot them now and then at my bro's backyard range - and that pretty much takes care of any full-auto jonesing I may suffer - lol

Filling any further urges can be easily (and expensively) accomplished by anyone willing to take a nice 2 hr drive out to Elklhart, IN for a visit to:

http://www.midwestgunandrange.com/machine-gun-rentals.cfm

I am not ashamed to admit that full auto is almost as much fun as a fully clothed person can have. Impractical as all get out and a waste of good ammo.....but a hoot to shoot.

Yep.I can live with that, it's not like I have any use for it anyway as no range I have access to would allow it. And besides that you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR or any other semi-auto. And if you want to bump fire from your shoulder you could probably make a sufficiently spongy shoulder pad that would do the trick nicely.

The problem is, we don't need the government telling us what we need and don't need. While I probably would never buy one, it's my business to determine if I want one or not, not the government's. This bone the NRA is throwing the lefties won't satisfy them. We'll give into it and then they will be wanting something else and so on and so forth.

Before the Clinton AWB went into effect, I got an AK, along with some 40 rd. magazines. Several months later, I got a chance to do some shooting on a friend's farm. I shot one of those 40 rd. "bananas" as fast as I could and got the 40 out in about 15 seconds, but I have to warn you - that barrel was HOT !! :frantics:

Also, my finger was sore from moving it so quickly and I only got about half of the shots on the target we had set up at 100 ft. even though I had the gun tucked in tightly to my shoulder trying to be as accurate as possible during that fast fire. :no:

Fun - yes, but awfully expensive on the ammo. :devil:

Yep.I can live with that, it's not like I have any use for it anyway as no range I have access to would allow it. And besides that you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR or any other semi-auto. And if you want to bump fire from your shoulder you could probably make a sufficiently spongy shoulder pad that would do the trick nicely.

The problem is, we don't need the government telling us what we need and don't need. While I probably would never buy one, it's my business to determine if I want one or not, not the government's. This bone the NRA is throwing the lefties won't satisfy them. We'll give into it and then they will be wanting something else and so on and so forth.

That's nothing new. The only thing to satisfy them is total confiscation.

It really is too bad that Paul Ryan isn't as conservative as he claims when it comes to the 2A. Drain the swamp.

Stop supporting the NRA until they change their mind. You should see how badly they're getting hammered on social media, as they rightfully should be. We do not compromise anymore, they should know this.

At least the GOA has the guts to oppose this, and I suspect it'll ultimately go nowhere anyway.

What the hey!!! is this garbage. The killer would have passed an NFA background check so treating bump stocks like SBRs and silencers wouldn't have stopped him. Only a total ban would have.

Is the NRA supporting a total ban?

If they are time to pay more attention in the next board elections.

I don't believe banning bump fire devices infringes my second amendment rights. However, that doesn't mean I support banning them. I don't feel strongly about not banning them either. I think we should get something in return for our support to ban them.

That being said...everyone here on this board knows that you can bump fire a semi-auto rifle without any device. I've done it. You've done it. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube of guys doing it.

The thing I think is scary is that people actually think banning these devices will save lives. Well, fine. Go ahead and ban them. I'll see you all for the next set of intense discussions the next time some loon goes crazy and kills a bunch of people. We all know that's going to happen and banning bump fire stocks won't stop it. It's a feel-good measure only. Yay.

I’ve always thought bump fire devices were the shooting equivalent of SNL’s Bag O' Glass. They are inaccurate and unreliable. The shooting I’ve seen done by others with them first hand had me wishing for full Kevlar and a cabbage patch helmet.

I would be perfectly fine with them classifying them as AOWs.

I understand the don't negotiate and don't give an inch strategy, but in this case the people who need to be satisfied are not the politicians. It's the general public. And it's become politically very important to give them the sacrifice they demand so that we can go on business as usual once the dog and pony show is over. The republicans need to address this (particularly since they can't seem to do anything else they said they would do) because if it's not addressed it will become a huge issue in 2018...campaigning is already beginning. The republicans need to be ale to say they addressed this quickly and turn the narrative to their favor.

I'm pretty sure NRA and politicians were talking about this before any announcements were made, and the fact is something has to go.

I understand the don't negotiate and don't give an inch strategy, but in this case the people who need to be satisfied are not the politicians. It's the general public. And it's become politically very important to give them the sacrifice they demand so that we can go on business as usual once the dog and pony show is over. The republicans need to address this (particularly since they can't seem to do anything else they said they would do) because if it's not addressed it will become a huge issue in 2018...campaigning is already beginning. The republicans need to be ale to say they addressed this quickly and turn the narrative to their favor.

I'm pretty sure NRA and politicians were talking about this before any announcements were made, and the fact is something has to go.

Very well said!

But here's the huge, huge downside: the more we give them, the more power they gain back. They've lost a lot, they're shaky, so don't give them a leg up, push them over.

Because if they feel empowered again, they'll rapidly ratchet things up big time. We need them to waste their political capital on something useless like this.

We don't win by placating the gun control movement and a bunch of ignorant asswipe voters.

I'm ok with trading bump fire for national reciprocity. The chances of NR was much better before this knucklehead snapped. I can see the NRA's strategy. NRA is about firearm safety. Staying on target is safer than not knowing where half of your rounds went. National Reciprocity is about safety. One thing I learned here is sausage making means compromise. Don't give anything away without getting something back. That's just my opinion speaking for myself, so no flames please.

Couldn't have said it better myself Ash.

But here's the huge, huge downside: the more we give them, the more power they gain back. They've lost a lot, they're shaky, so don't give them a leg up, push them over.

Because if they feel empowered again, they'll rapidly ratchet things up big time. We need them to waste their political capital on something useless like this.

We don't win by placating the gun control movement and a bunch of ignorant asswipe voters.

Here's the thing. Notice the talking point that surfaced today? Obama's ATF approved these. Republicans concerned with law and order can close the loophole Obama created. We can fix his negligent oversight that allowed a mass shooter to simulate machine gun fire with an otherwise normal sporting rifle. We can fix the mess they made...so we aren't giving them anything, technically, and it's our win, not theirs.

I know, mental gymnastics...but optics matter.

What happens when the general public demands guns be banned?

Then the public will have the necessary numbers to convene a constitutional convention and create or destroy whatever they choose. We aren't there yet, and throwing them an accessory as a distraction is an acceptable compromise to hold that day off.

Archived