Under review board

tonee667

I am new to this site

How long is the wait for underboardreview ? CCW

I just went underboardreview 2 weeks ago . No felonies but I have been arrested couple times the past . 15 years ago

How long is the wait time for an address change for a FOID

Yeah your looking at about a year hopefully less. Some of us on here have been waiting over a year and still no word. It's def gotten better in the past few months, the board has been reviewing more applicants per month. Are you based out of Cook County?

The address changes seem to taking anywhere from 30-60 days but the original FOID/CCL remains active during that time.

Under Board Review has taken anywhere from a year to two-plus years up until recent months. It appears the backlog of objections is being cleared out and hopefully the board is no longer waiting for months on end for responses to inquiries to the objecting law enforcement agencies. What we want to see is:

1. ISP notification of objection - application sent to review board

2. Review board to render a decision within 30 days of receiving the objection

3. If the review board needs more info from the applicant or the objecting agency, a notification to applicant that an additional 30 days is needed

4. Final ruling made within that 30 days. Period.

We'll see what happens in the next few months.

The address changes seem to taking anywhere from 30-60 days but the original FOID/CCL remains active during that time.

Under Board Review has taken anywhere from a year to two-plus years up until recent months. It appears the backlog of objections is being cleared out and hopefully the board is no longer waiting for months on end for responses to inquiries to the objecting law enforcement agencies. What we want to see is:

3. If the review board needs more info from the applicant or the objecting agency, a notification to applicant that an additional 30 days is needed

that should be the case Molly but unfortunately we keep getting the same letters stating that they need additional 30 days. meanwhile the world getting more and more dangerous. I told my wife if some happens to me due to violence please sue the the state police for not issuing me my license, I have my Florida's license so im not sure what the hold up is. the state of Illinois is saying im good enough to have my foid which allows me to buy a weapon and transport it but not good enough to carry it on me.lol that makes no sense to me at all

I believe I originally posted this in the wrong place so sorry if this is redundant: Am I understanding that part of the process can include a LEO objecting for any reason without me knowing why unless I am denied? Seems unfair to me. I feel like they can hold you up just to hold you up. I am extra frustrated(sorry) since I had a buddy apply two weeks after me and had his license in had 3 weeks ago.

I believe I originally posted this in the wrong place so sorry if this is redundant: Am I understanding that part of the process can include a LEO objecting for any reason without me knowing why unless I am denied? Seems unfair to me. I feel like they can hold you up just to hold you up. I am extra frustrated(sorry) since I had a buddy apply two weeks after me and had his license in had 3 weeks ago.

Yes, it not only unfair, we believe it violates due process. Hopefully as the review board catches up with the backlog they were dealing with, the long delays will end.

that should be the case Molly but unfortunately we keep getting the same letters stating that they need additional 30 days. meanwhile the world getting more and more dangerous. I told my wife if some happens to me due to violence please sue the the state police for not issuing me my license, I have my Florida's license so im not sure what the hold up is. the state of Illinois is saying im good enough to have my foid which allows me to buy a weapon and transport it but not good enough to carry it on me.lol that makes no sense to me at all

In the same boat as you. Such a frustrating process which seems counterintuitive. I mean if LE's think your a clear danger to yourself and others than why do we have are FOID's which lawfully gives us the ability to buy firearms.

In the same boat as you. Such a frustrating process which seems counterintuitive. I mean if LE's think your a clear danger to yourself and others than why do we have are FOID's which lawfully gives us the ability to buy firearms.

exactly. the foid allows us to buy and transport weapons,, so if I wanted to harm myself or others there's nothing stopping me. this is the most frustrated and dumbest process i've ever been apart of or seen. if you have valid foid just issue the ccw. the only difference is that I cant carry my weapon on me. but I can still buy and transport the weapon. makes no sense. what a joke

The whole LEO objection program needs to be removed.

Agreed, however, at the very minimum, they should be required to object, put all pertinent information in the objection at that time, and be held accountable for objections that are deemed frivolous or unsubstantiated. Right now, the objection is just a button Dart can push for his own jollies and political ends.

The whole LEO objection program needs to be removed.

Agreed, however, at the very minimum, they should be required to object, put all pertinent information in the objection at that time, and be held accountable for objections that are deemed frivolous or unsubstantiated. Right now, the objection is just a button Dart can push for his own jollies and political ends.

THIS. Attach civil liability to frivolous objections. I know one Chicago burb objects to applicants with speeding tickets because I know the LEO designated for researching and objecting to applications. He flat out told me he's been told to object to EVERY application when there's ANYTHING attached to the applicant. Even if it's a speeding ticket, 20 year old DUI, whatever. Makes me sick to my stomach that a Chief of Police orders his subordinate to outright deny a right to the people who he serves.

If it makes you feel better, after 24 months I finally got the letter stating to explain myself for an arrest that was expunged.

Congrats, and I am very happy for you ... but ... It actually troubles me a great deal that an arrest that was expunged is being used to deny / delay your rights. First, and arrest is simply that. No one who is simply arrested is guilty of anything. Second, expunged should mean it never happened. I have been arrested. It was expunged. I got my FOID in 30 days and my CCL in 90 days. I am also a member of Global Entry, TSA precheck, and NEXUS. I also have gone through several Federal background checks. In all cases, the Federal investigators told me they could see the arrest, but because I had an expungement order they could not, by law, consider it "in any way, shape, or form".

Here, we have a case where the ISP and/or objecting law agency is specifically considering an expunged arrest and denying a right, when no arrest even happened. From a civil liberties perspective this bothers me very, very much.

Yes, it not only unfair, we believe it violates due process. Hopefully as the review board catches up with the backlog they were dealing with, the long delays will end.

One correction - they cannot deny you without first informing you as to what agency objected and why and also providing you with an opportunity to respond to the objection in your own behalf.

I am new to this site

How long is the wait for underboardreview ? CCW

I just went underboardreview 2 weeks ago . No felonies but I have been arrested couple times the past . 15 years ago

How long is the wait time for an address change for a FOID

In my LIMITED experience, the FOID address change took me a month.Ii am not sure about the board review, but it seems like a black hole. I am starting to lose hope based on what others are saying about the wait (years).

One correction - they cannot deny you without first informing you as to what agency objected and why and also providing you with an opportunity to respond to the objection in your own behalf.

Just a thought. I am not saying this is happening or has happened, but what stops a LEO from looking at a name and simply saying NOPE. As a hypothetical situation, it seems a LEO can see a name like Mohammad, assume race or religion and hold someone up for years. Again I am not claiming that anyone is racist, but if a LEO was, what stops them from wrongfully holding someone up for years. I understand that IF an objection is upheld, one can respond. What stops a LEO from wrongfully delaying someone, and just requesting multiple extensions? AGAIN JUST A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION.

Just a thought. I am not saying this is happening or has happened, but what stops a LEO from looking at a name and simply saying NOPE. As a hypothetical situation, it seems a LEO can see a name like Mohammad, assume race or religion and hold someone up for years. Again I am not claiming that anyone is racist, but if a LEO was, what stops them from wrongfully holding someone up for years. I understand that IF an objection is upheld, one can respond. What stops a LEO from wrongfully delaying someone, and just requesting multiple extensions? AGAIN JUST A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION.

I doubt they will object purely on your name because they have to submit a reason for why they are objecting to your application. If you are based out of CROOK county then they will literally object to any arrests.

Its def a flawed system and a very frustrating process to go through. I am at a year and a half now and still waiting.

I know I've seen this brought up somewhere on IC before, but do we have any info on how many times the review board meets every month, or what part of the month if it's only once?

It is my understanding the board usually tries to meets a couple times a month, but that could vary.

Thanks, Molly. Do you think with all of the insanity that's currently going, the review board will deny a response that they might have otherwise approved?

Archived