Frog Lube

boog

I think the bottom-line is, until folks start putting up some industry standard test results, there's really no way to tell what is what. Isn't that what standardized testing is all about?

I tried FL on just one of my pistols, a rather lower cost XDM, and I won't use it on anything else until I'm confident that it does outperform what I've been using.

Sounds like a new thread to me.....

But since the facts of MSD Sheets have been thrown around: I would not use Ballistol for the following reasons

1. It has a flash point of 126 degrees (FrogLube is 482 degrees)

2. No listing for auto ignition - Why?

3. States it should be treated as a flammable aerosol. No issues with FrogLube

4. It looks like when you have to worry about OSHA Personal Exposure Limits on a product compared to FrogLube, doesn't it make you think just a little?

5. States you have to use in a ventilated area and can not use around flame or hot surfaces. Avoid puncture to aerosol container. No worries about FrogLube.

6. For handling and storage: store in a cool dry place out of sunlight. Not to store in areas exposed to temperatures above 120 degrees. Store and use in a ventilated room (second reference to ventilation). Again, keep away from hot surfaces.

7. Here is the most interesting one - Keep out of the reach of children.

The most important thing to me, is with all the aerosol cleaners I have used in the past I hate the mess they make. Spray all over and have to worry about clean up. Not with FrogLube, I clean wherever and whenever I want.

Like all products out there. Its what you want to use.

• 1 month later...

Well I have all 5 of my pistols running clean and smooth with the Frog. Besides being non toxic and non smelly, I really love the fact that when I get home from the range, I field strip and wipe off everything with an old shop rag and the carbon comes right off. Then I heat and dab on the paste to high wear parts and run a few drops of the liquid down the rails and in the barrel and give it a good swabbing and they're ready for storage.

I do have a problem though, I received a 4 oz and 8 oz kit for Xmas and have been using the 4 oz bottle for a while. I was cleaning and lubing on Sunday night and grabbed the 8oz bottle and I have the same issue previously mentioned here. Even after a lot of vigorous shaking, it comes out separated, it looks oily with granules in it, totally unlike the smooth green liquid in the 4oz bottle. It runs all over and the green "granules" just clump and get messy. Did some bad batches go out? I'm halfway through my 4oz bottle and starting to panic! The sticker on the bottle is wet, apparently this one leaked in shipping and the magic stuff oozed out because it separates very fast, you can see the "oily" part sitting on top of the "solids" and they just wont mix properly.

frantics.giffrantics.giffrantics.gif

Well I have all 5 of my pistols running clean and smooth with the Frog. Besides being non toxic and non smelly, I really love the fact that when I get home from the range, I field strip and wipe off everything with an old shop rag and the carbon comes right off. Then I heat and dab on the paste to high wear parts and run a few drops of the liquid down the rails and in the barrel and give it a good swabbing and they're ready for storage.

I do have a problem though, I received a 4 oz and 8 oz kit for Xmas and have been using the 4 oz bottle for a while. I was cleaning and lubing on Sunday night and grabbed the 8oz bottle and I have the same issue previously mentioned here. Even after a lot of vigorous shaking, it comes out separated, it looks oily with granules in it, totally unlike the smooth green liquid in the 4oz bottle. It runs all over and the green "granules" just clump and get messy. Did some bad batches go out? I'm halfway through my 4oz bottle and starting to panic! The sticker on the bottle is wet, apparently this one leaked in shipping and the magic stuff oozed out because it separates very fast, you can see the "oily" part sitting on top of the "solids" and they just wont mix properly.

frantics.giffrantics.giffrantics.gif

I was the previous poster on the issue. I have subsequently found that if I do microwave the product, and shake vigorously to reblend the lube, after you lube the gun, it will again separate. I had my gun all nice and clean, and left it out in the car in my bag, for match practice after work, and got into the range to see this clumping. I took it apart quickly to wipe down, but that was a bit concerning. I'm just not sure which part is the more valuable portion of the mix - the part that hardens or the part that remains liquid. Either way, any lube that separates in normal operating temps bothers me. I'd prefer to love this stuff, for the better smell alone, but I don't find that it helps cleaning better than anything else, and the lubrication properties remain a big question mark, so with this separating issue, I'm just getting more disappointed with the product. I probably won't buy it again, fwiw.

Imho, they need to solve this clumping issue so that it will not separate down to freezing at least. And, they need to put up or shut up regarding third party performance tests. Then I might feel a little better about coming back. My .02 fwiw.

Well I find that the stuff thats mixed properly does not seperate and makes my pistols smoother and quieter than anything I've used previously. I do the heat treat with the paste and on certain areas I will let the paste dry and not wipe it off. When it cools it sets in place and looks a bit like chap stick but when the gun warms up, even with handling, it softens and really comes alive but stays put. The "seperated" stuff in the 8oz bottle just wont stay anywhere and makes a nasty mess. The good liquid in the 4oz bottle has kept the rails of my 1911 wet through 150 round sessions and really seems to do the job.

Besides the quality issue on whats shipping in certain bottles I really like it and use it on steel and polymer guns without fear of hurting wood grips, poly parts or the finish on anything. Since doing the heat treat on a few troubled magazines I have, the do seem to really work much better. To each his own, I'm sold on the product but have 8oz that I cant use at the moment.

Vaden,

Out of the hundreds of thousands of Froglube Bottles that have been produced and sold this is indeed puzzling. please PM me your address and I will gladly exchange it.

Ed

Ed, can you kindly do a test for me. Just leave a bottle outside overnight, and let me know if it remains completely liquid. While don't dismiss the chance that a bad batch got out there, I just can't believe that Vaden and I are the only lucky guys? I mean how small are the batches they make? I'd assume they do hundreds or thousands at a time, so if it was a bad batch, I'd think the phones would be ringing off the hook?

If yours remains liquid after sitting in the 30 degree temps, maybe I will take you up on that exchange offer. I'll be down at Article II next week.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Vaden,

Out of the hundreds of thousands of Froglube Bottles that have been produced and sold this is indeed puzzling. please PM me your address and I will gladly exchange it.

Ed

Ed, can you kindly do a test for me. Just leave a bottle outside overnight, and let me know if it remains completely liquid. While don't dismiss the chance that a bad batch got out there, I just can't believe that Vaden and I are the only lucky guys? I mean how small are the batches they make? I'd assume they do hundreds or thousands at a time, so if it was a bad batch, I'd think the phones would be ringing off the hook?

If yours remains liquid after sitting in the 30 degree temps, maybe I will take you up on that exchange offer. I'll be down at Article II next week.

Thanks.

Ed or any other Frog Lube rep - Has anyone taken the time to try this test? Will the FL in your stock separate in colder temps? Can you please put a bottle in your refrigerator and another in your freezer and report back the results.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I was reconditioning & lubing my 1911 after some work I did to it this week and it prompted me to pull out my batches of Froglube. I had posted previously how I have a "bad bottle" of this stuff. I shook the 4oz (good) bottle and 8oz (bad) bottle up for about 2 minutes each and put 2 drops onto a piece of plastic to show that I am not crazy in thinking that the 8oz bottle is no good. I tried a few drops on my rails and the "oil" part of it ran away fast leaving the "gritty" filler behind and offering no lube properties what so ever.

The good is on the left and the bad stuff is on the right, you can see how it separates seconds after being applied to a surface and looks grainy. The good stuff has a milky one looks proper and works great.<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

post-3369-133211259731.jpgpost-3369-133211261621.jpg

Exactly my issue. When I microwave and shake it, as they suggested, it's back to a consistent state. However, after a day or two at room temps of approx 72 degrees, it separates again. Worse, any lube on the gun separates as well. Last time I was at the range, I gave one of the bottles on the shelf a little squeeze, and it was separated as well. It concerns me that any lube would separate at any temperature range your weapon might see, let alone room temps.

I find it pretty concerning that my questions above about working temp ranges were ignored, especially in light of the somewhat hostile response to some folks earlier looking for standardized test data. I'm done with the stuff.

Mr. Fife or DWH - Can you please just do a quick test for me? Can you take one of your bottles that you say don't exhibit this separation issue and stick it in the refrigerator over night and let us know what happens. Again, I am of the strong opinion that no lubricant should ever separate at any normal working temp, which for a gun should be any temp it might see in normal use, from say 100 degrees down to freezing. Assuming your refrigerator is set for 40 degrees, if it doesn't separate, I think that will confirm there are a few bad batches floating around. However, if they do separate, then I guess there's no use in trying to swap.

Thanks.

Scough, is yours separating only in cold temps? Mine is like this no matter what the temp is. When it arrived, the label on the bottle was soaked and loose. My other bottle was sitting outside in the cold when the mail arrived and exhibits no problems, and I had my guns in the trunk a few times in the coldest weather of the year, overnight, and the lube from the good bottle did not separate. It firmed up just a bit and when the guns warmed up they were still properly lubed. I dont have an issue with temperature separation, its just the mix in that one bottle was bad from day one. Are you having issues with separation at cold temps or all the time?

The bottle I have separates at around 72 degrees. It becomes a translucent green with light green almost white blobs. The green portion remains liquid even at colder temps. When microwaved and shaked, it does recombine again for about 24 hours. However, if you use it after microwaving on your weapon, it will separate later on the weapon, and the blobs will tend to collect on one end of the slide, and similar parts of interference, I would guess minimizing it's lubricating value.

Did you by chance just try the refrigerator? I believe that most refrigerators run around 40 degrees and freezers around 0. While I don't plan to be using a weapon in zero degrees temps, and even if I did, the actual weapon concealed would be warmed by the body until you draw it. However, I wonder if this stuff freezes closer to 32 degrees as well? Either way, separating or freezing in potential usage temps could be a problem for some I suppose.

Well, that didn't take long. The Froglube froze in the glass and I had to wait for it to thaw a bit. I can say without a doubt that through the whole process there was no grit or grany stuff.

http://www.illinoisc...13322994318.jpg

Are you Sam-I-Am? That looks like a green egg to me.

Eugene

Under edit:

crap that didn't work Pic didn't show. added signature

Archived