SB0050 silencer/suppressor bill re-scheduled for Senate Criminal Law committee

InterestedBystander

1447 - 873 - 9

opponents have added another 10 in the last few minutes alone. I have a feeling the final numbers are going to be much closer than they should be.

Pretty disappointed in our numbers. Probably only a matter of time, before they start to get even or surpass us.

I am also disappointed. We had a much better turnout only a few months ago.

It's really frustrating, because when I'm at the range and talking to others there, they're like "yeah, i hope we can get so and so, wish we could do this or that". But when you talk to them about participating and helping with witness slips, talking to their reps, emails, calls, etc. They're too busy or it's too much trouble, "lost cause".

Feel like ranges should have a board or something highlighting important bills currently in our state, regarding 2A and how they can help. Give people something to do, while waiting for a lane.

It's really frustrating, because when I'm at the range and talking to others there, they're like "yeah, i hope we can get so and so, wish we could do this or that". But when you talk to them about participating and helping with witness slips, talking to their reps, emails, calls, etc. They're too busy or it's too much trouble, "lost cause".

Feel like ranges should have a board or something highlighting important bills currently in our state, regarding 2A and how they can help. Give people something to do, while waiting for a lane.

+1 on that idea.

Done

I'm sure this has been asked but what do the witness slips accomplish? I filled some out and when that bill is discussed in committee someone pauses and quickly says the numbers and they never speak of it again. I know last session there seemed to be some very, very lopsided witness slips filed but the bill kept being pushed. Is it one of those things where yea, it's there, but it only really matters if the numbers show what the congress members want?

one witness slips show there is interest. I'm sure what is happening is that you have two national groups putting out calls to ALL there members ARS & Moms for witness slips

They have seen how effective we are, they are trying to take a page out of our playbook, but I suspect most of them are from out of state.

"IC" as an organization is sitting on their hands. Waiting for the perfect to be the enemy of the good. The problem with being a leader, is you have to lead. You have to make tough decisions that are sometimes unpopular with some people or members.

one witness slips show there is interest. I'm sure what is happening is that you have two national groups putting out calls to ALL there members ARS & Moms for witness slips

They have seen how effective we are, they are trying to take a page out of our playbook, but I suspect most of them are from out of state.

"IC" as an organization is sitting on their hands. Waiting for the perfect to be the enemy of the good. The problem with being a leader, is you have to lead. You have to make tough decisions that are sometimes unpopular with some people or members.

I too wondered how it works. I fill them out every time I get a notice. But people from outside IL can also fill them out? Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems a lot more shares are going around than what I usually see for bills, on Facebook for SB50. Mostly copy/paste, with very short details saying to oppose and detailed instructions on how to fill out a slip.

Exactly, if we get blown away, it's one more excuse for some anti lawmaker to use.

Wonder if there is any way to validate the witness slips and have all the out of state ones removed.

Here's how the witness slips work. If we have more than them, they are ignored. If they have more than us, it will be brought up that there is no support for this bill.

They may not discuss slips on committee or the floor (although sometimes the numbers are mentioned) and it may seem to be ignored, but when we have large overwhelming numbers, Id like to think it does alert them that voters in their districts are following legislation and watching what they do.

Since we are neutral – our members who support this bill should feel free to file slips.

How about since you're only neutral, not in opposition, send out a Call to Action stating such, but notifying others that there is a committee hearing upcoming and they can file slips if they so choose?

There are so many people who get those calls to action, but aren't necessarily regular members here... and they may not know about the hearing.

Since we are neutral – our members who support this bill should feel free to file slips.

How about since you're only neutral, not in opposition, send out a Call to Action stating such, but notifying others that there is a committee hearing upcoming and they can file slips if they so choose?

There are so many people who get those calls to action, but aren't necessarily regular members here... and they may not know about the hearing.

The greatest push back we get, the most negative comments, and loss of membership comes when we send out alerts pushing the suppressor bill. It’s not a clearly understood issue here in IL yet. And members think we should be focusing on reducing the prohibited areas and other issues pertaining to the right to carry.

We are not opposed to the bill. We’re neutral, that way members can support the bill but we don’t suffer negative consequences from those who don’t, whether it’s because of issues with the bill or the focus.

Since we are neutral our members who support this bill should feel free to file slips.

The ISRA has the call to action out already. There's also notices posted on Facebook and Twitter

The greatest push back we get, the most negative comments, and loss of membership comes when we send out alerts pushing the suppressor bill. It’s not a clearly understood issue here in IL yet. And members think we should be focusing on reducing the prohibited areas and other issues pertaining to the right to carry.

We are not opposed to the bill. We’re neutral, that way members can support the bill but we don’t suffer negative consequences from those who don’t, whether it’s because of issues with the bill or the focus.

So a good portion of the membership here are whiny little children who can't accept that something that doesn't interest them might be of interest to someone else?

"How dare you alert me about suppressors, I'm only interested in public transportation! Goodbye forever!!1!one!!"

I see zero harm in simply informing people who may not know about the hearing... so maybe not a call to action, but an Illinois Carry Alert?

Since we are neutral our members who support this bill should feel free to file slips.

The ISRA has the call to action out already. There's also notices posted on Facebook and Twitter

Not every member here is a member of the ISRA, nor does everyone who's on Facebook or Twitter follow them.

We should all be working together. Regardless of what in 2A we're fighting for, every bit counts.

I support anything 2A, even if it's something that doesn't directly benefit me right now, it could later on or maybe interest me later on.

^This.

I'd even be willing to wager that the majority of the bills that this site follows and urges witness slips for are for gun rights in general, not just specific to concealed carry.

Archived