Municipalities that Prohibit and Regulate Firearms

Blaster

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
so If I don't see my cook county city on this list, does that mean I have no restrictions other than the normal state restrictions... i.e. does the cook county AWB not apply to me?

Don't count on it, even though home rule communities with firearm ordinances are required to submit them to the ISP website for posting, all of them don't. I think there may be about 8 that have ordinances that aren't posted. They used to be listed as having ordinances, but none were listed. Now they aren't listed as having ordinances, maybe they dropped them, but I doubt it. The best thing would be to contact your city clerk or city attorney and ask if there are firearm ordinances, and if so get a copy of them.

• 11 months later...
I was wondering if Williamson county is for or against the right to carry. Hopefully the right to carry. The crooks and drug dealers love the fact that we I was wondering if Williamson county is for or against the right to carry. Hopefully the right to carry. The crooks and drug dealers love the fact that we can't carry concealed firearms. That's why Chicagos crime rate is rising!can't carry concealed firearms. That's why Chicagos crime rate is rising!

I was wondering if Williamson county is for or against the right to carry. Hopefully the right to carry. The crooks and drug dealers love the fact that we I was wondering if Williamson county is for or against the right to carry. Hopefully the right to carry. The crooks and drug dealers love the fact that we can't carry concealed firearms. That's why Chicagos crime rate is rising!can't carry concealed firearms. That's why Chicagos crime rate is rising!

Eagle, Welcome to the forum.

Williamson county hasn't had a resolution on the ballot, I don't believe, so that isn't available to gauge support. The Pro-2A resolution did pass in Williamson County, not sure of the vote by the county board. You have John Bradley as a Illinois rep and he is pro-LTC, having sponsored bills a number of times. You might want to check if your sheriff was at that Illinois Sheriff's Association meeting that passed the resolution supporting LTC. Since it was a unanimous vote if he was there he either didn't vote or supported it.

THANKS Now if we could only get the rest of the counties to pass the law we'd be alright.

The resolution is not a law, it's sending a strong message to legislators in Illinois that the supporting counties, Illinois gun owners and supporters have had enough of the anti-gun legislation in Illinois.

The Resolution

Resolution

WHEREAS, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms is guaranteed as an Individual Right under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and under the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms for defense of Life, Liberty, and Property is regarded as an Inalienable Right by the People of _______________ County, Illinois, and:

WHEREAS, the People of _________________ County, Illinois, derive economic benefit from all safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting, and shooting conducted within __________ County using all types of firearms allowable under the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, ____________ County Board, being elected to represent the People of _____________County and being duly sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Illinois House of Representatives and the Illinois Senate, being elected by the People of the State of Illinois and being duly sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, proposed legislation under consideration by the Illinois State Legislature would infringe the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed by individual citizens of _______________ County, Illinois, for defense of Life, Liberty and Property and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed for safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting and shooting conducted within ____________ County, Illinois;

NOW, THEREFORE, IT BE AND IS HEREBY RESOLVED that the People of _____________ County, Illinois, do hereby oppose the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the Right of the People to keep and bear arms and consider such laws to be unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority!

Chairman

Attest:

County Clerk

• 1 month later...
THANKS Now if we could only get the rest of the counties to pass the law we'd be alright. It is going to be real tough to get Cook county. Mayor Daley is extremely powerful in the state.

Be aware that Marion Mayor Bob Butler doesn't think that citizens should be allowed to carry handguns. Marion police chief Goolsby thinks that only police should be able to carry guns.

I can't find anywhere that Cundiff has said anything about the issue one way or the other.

• 3 months later...

Regarding Schaumburg - the matrix states that registration of firearms is required. Though looking through the supporting ISP documentation I don't see that listed. As I read through the doc it appears to me that the registration law relates to someone dealing in firearms. There are 4 ordinances under Schaumburg:

41.01 which relates to fees

Chapter 115 - which relates to Child care facilities

Chapter 128 - which relates to firearms dealers

Chapter 136 - which relates to all persons dealing at retail of firearms

So as I read it, Schaumburg has no registration for residents. But since Schaumburg does have firearms ordnances on the books and is a home rule community does that mean that Schaumburg does not fall under the Cook County bans?

• 1 year later...

wow I did not realize Casey was on that list, I cant copy and paste for whatever reason, but could someone read it and tell me if fanny pack carry is prohibited in my town?

Edit: found it on Muni codes thanks adam!

Here it is can someone tell me if fanny pack carry would be legal or is it still considered "transportation"

9.76.010 - Deemed guilty when.

Any person who carries a concealed revolver, pistol or other weapon on or about his person, or a razor as a weapon, or who, in a threatening or boisterous manner, displays or flourishes any deadly weapon, is guilty of carrying concealed weapons.

so If I don't see my cook county city on this list, does that mean I have no restrictions other than the normal state restrictions... i.e. does the cook county AWB not apply to me?

I believe if you are not on the list, or if your municipality does not have a law, it defaults to county law.

So if you live in Cook County and your city does not have a home rule, then you are subject to Cook County rule.

• 1 year later...
State preemption will pass soon after concealed carry: CCW has been the most controversial issue regarding gun rights in Illinois, and several preemption bills had previously passed the legislature only to be vetoed by that whatshisface governor who is now home in Colorado. My guess is that if we don't get full preemption, they'll grandfather Chicago's registration requirements in, but probably not their training requirements.

• 4 months later...

I have one that isn't listed.

The Village of Justice

http://www.villageofjustice.org/

Codes-

http://www.amlegal.c...egal:justice_il

Looks like my village is home rule.

WEAPON CONTROL

Sec. 3-600. General Provisions:

(a) Title: This article shall be known as the JUSTICE FIREARMS AND [/url]ASSAULT weapons. As provided in article VII, section 6© of the State Constitution of 1970, if a county ordinance conflicts with an ordinance of a municipality, the municipal ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.

(2) It is specifically intended that this article shall preempt the Cook County Firearms Dealer’s License and Assault Sec. 3-602. [/url]Assault Assault Weapon: Any weapon into a machine gun, any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

(2) Assault Ammunition: A detachable magazine capacity of which is more than sixteen (16) rounds center fire.

( :cool: assault weapon or weapon or assault ammunition to any officer, agent or employee of the village or any other municipality, county, body, politic or state, or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state, and peace officers to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault ammunition and is acting within the scope of his or her duties;

b. The possession for sale and distribution or the sale to, or the acquisition or possession of assault ammunition by persons employed to provide security for armored carriers or mobile check cashing services while in the course of such duties, while commuting directly to or from the person's place of employment, and while at the person's home, if the assault weapons if such weapon or assault ammunition possessed, sold or transferred in violation of subsection ( :cool:(1) of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with as provided in subsection ( :cool:(4)c of this section.

(3) Any person found in violation of this section shall be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) per day and not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) per day, or both.

(4) Any person who, prior to the effective date hereof, was legally in possession of an assault ammunition prohibited by this section, shall have fourteen (14) days from the effective date hereof to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:

a. To remove the assault weapon either to render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an assault Weapons Confiscated:

(1) Whenever any firearm or ammunition is surrendered or confiscated pursuant to the terms of this article, the chief of police shall ascertain whether such firearm or ammunition is needed as evidence in any matter.

(2) If such firearm or ammunition is not required for evidence, it shall be destroyed at the direction of the chief of police. A record of the date and method of destruction and inventory of the firearm or ammunition so destroyed shall be maintained.

(Ord. 94-29, § 3, 12-27-1994)

(Ord. 94-29, § 3, 12-27-1994)

The funny thing the Assault Weapon terminology is spot on and applies to select fire/automatic firearms. It is much more lenient than cook county's ban by a long shot. I talked to many police officer's and the magazine ban isn't enforced. It's basically there if you are causing trouble with a firearm they have an extra charge to stick to you.

Police discretion is a wonderful thing.

• 2 weeks later...

is Home Rule even constitutional when it applies to transport? Home Rule is often used for civic and revenue purposes like property transfer taxes, regulating affordable housing, and other static issues that affect residents and businesses. You can decide whether you want to live there or open a business based on due diligience that does not have to be performed instantaneously.

But it seems like an unreasonable burden to have a patchwork of different transport rules as you drive through different towns. There is no mechanism for giving instantaneous warnings, like with speed limit signs, and many communities do not even report their statues to the ISP for publication. And, what is your remedy if what you have in your trunk does not meet the statute? The arrest in South Elgin comes to mind. I believe Highland Park also has some "unique" transport laws.

This just seems like an abuse of Home Rule. Can Home Rule communities just do whatever the heck the want on any issue?

It is an abuse of power under the guise of Home Rule. I am a Civilian, Non-LEO.

When I travel to the FBI Range in North Chicago I am traveling with a full kit. Mind you that means I'm carrying a 13 30 rnd Mags, and 4 15 rnd Pistol mags.

As I transverse Cook county and the little towns and villages along the I-90, Hwy 53, Lake Cook Road, and I-94 I am breaking LAW, after LAW, after LAW times the number of banned items that I am carrying, which includes at least 1 AR-15 sometimes 2, or an additional weapon that they consider an assault weapon.

Plus the rounds for each weapon.

I would never let them search my trunk willingly, and I give them no probable cause. However if I have a car accident, all bets are off.

If I were to be discovered, I have no doubt that I would be arrested & charged in many of these municipalities, regardless that I was heading to help a Federal LE Agency.

PS. Counting on an individual Officer's discretion is about as a safe of bet as counting on our current President to make a good decision for our Country...

Is there another way to challenge these perversions of home rule if RTC with preemption is not passed? I'm involved in monitoring abusive-intrusive home rule ordinances from a real estate perspective, but that industry only wants to battled R/E related issues.

Does travel on state roadways vs. city streets help with your specific commute?

• 6 months later...

Preemption!!!!!!!! That's gotta come first! :excl:

This is going way back to 2005. Ol' Coach knew then how important preemption was going to be. Well, we now have total preemption on concealed carry and transportation of all firearms. I think he would be pleased.

May his dear soul rest in peace. He is surely missed.

I was not here in time to have known Ol' Coach and feel a lesser person because of all that I have heard of him. I am glad we have come this far, but I must say that I can't wait for the Wilson case to come up again! Perhaps, then, we can move quickly towards total preemption of long guns also - not just the transportation part. :flowers:

Archived