Got denied because email doesn't match foid

DDM

Not sure if this is in the right section but wanted to complain to someone. I emailed someone off armslist to buy a cheap ak. This would be my first ak so I wanted to pick up something cheap to shoot. I emailed the guy and since I don't like using email I asked for a phone number. I send him all my info and he said he won't sell it to me because my email name doesn't match my foid/dl name. It was a piece of crap ak so I don't really care but this is the second time this happened to me. Should I change my email to my real name or are these guys overly paranoid. I don't like using my real name on email or Facebook. I guess I just like my privacy. Same reason we have screenames on here. Don't want to run into some idiot and have him know my name etc. Now I sent all my real info to some unknown person and got absolutely nothing out of it which pisses me off even more.

I'd think as long as he gets his money and he's shipping to an FFL (who will check your real ID and FOID info), that he wouldn't have an issue with it. On the other hand, from his perspective, it does seem a little fishy. Sellers are totally spooked. One wrong step and their business can be shut down forever. I'm also certain there are police sting operations where they'll try to catch dealers in paperwork snafus to shut them down. It pays for them to be overly cautious.

My email name doesn't match my real name either. I have never had a problem with Armlist purchases or any other online gun purchase to FFl transfer.

The add could have been a phishing scam to get people to send personal info.

If it was legit anyone whose that stupid or paranoid is not someone I would ever want to meet or do business with anyways. The only thing that matters is the FOID number and the name on the state issued IDs.

I have several email accounts. On ones I use to deal with businesses or strangers, my Name is either just my first and last initial or _,_. It's better to be simply blank vs. a "fake" name IMO. The seller is overly paranoid. But given the general political climate in some areas, it is understandable.

I think I'll change it to something that isn't completely fake. I see why they are paranoid but that honestly has nothing to do with anything. Actually send him my Id and foid and I usually avoid sending my id. Going to be paranoid now for a few months. I honestly had no issues with illinois carry so hats off to you guys. I'm pretty much done with armslist I think.

I think that is horsecrap. Should be of no relevance what email you use. I think he is overly paranoid. As long as your following the law with gun transfers, you are fine. Find another less paranoid seller.

You would think that but theres tons of people here that want more than what the law requires. Like for a ftf sale, you only need dob and foid number yet everyone here wants your address. I'm suprised they don't ask for your social.

I think that is horsecrap. Should be of no relevance what email you use. I think he is overly paranoid. As long as your following the law with gun transfers, you are fine. Find another less paranoid seller.

You would think that but theres tons of people here that want more than what the law requires. Like for a ftf sale, you only need dob and foid number yet everyone here wants your address. I'm suprised they don't ask for your social.

I had a guy recently who didn't want to send me his FOID but did send FOID number and DOB for a sale. Not a problem but did need to see when sale was made, then had to complete address for the transfer form and bill of sale.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Keep a separate email for just these type of purchases. Make the name match on that.

Its pretty easy to get a Gmail account.

Just use your real name on that account and use that for anything where you need your name on the Email account.

Armslist is a bit tricky but while the guy might seem paranoid, maybe he thought you were trying to scam him.

If you want to buy ammo online from a reputable place you are going to have send a copy of your FOID and DL.

If your name didn't match they might be pretty suspicious too.

Make a Gmail account in your name, put it on the back burner and forget about it until you need it.

It's not unusual for you name to already be taken. GMail, Hotmail, yahoo email have been around for years and are used by people around the world. That's why you see all these email addresses with numbers in them.

I think I'll change it to something that isn't completely fake. I see why they are paranoid but that honestly has nothing to do with anything. Actually send him my Id and foid and I usually avoid sending my id. Going to be paranoid now for a few months. I honestly had no issues with illinois carry so hats off to you guys. I'm pretty much done with armslist I think.

That might make things a bit easier in the future. Of course it shouldn't matter, and is certainly not a matter of law. But many sellers are overly paranoid on many things now; it's common for them to require much more than the law actually requires. IMO, if the request isn't too crazy, I just give in b/c it's not worth the fight. For example to buy ammo online @ Cabela's, I have to send them a copy of my FOID and my DL, I have to call their special # (vs. ordering online), and I have to send them a new copy again each time I buy. It is FAR more than I am legally required to do; but it's their store = their rules.

I sometimes use Gunbroker.com for ammo and firearms. Usually I've had good experiences, but each seller is different...

Archived