Sue the ISP

Just wondering because the attorney I have wants to do that. He is basically doing it because they are taking to long on my appeal and says that I could get my Foid because of the time it's been since my non violent crime over twenty years ago. Also he said he wants to get their feathers ruffled to get them on it.

Just wondering because the attorney I have wants to do that. He is basically doing it because they are taking to long on my appeal and says that I could get my Foid because of the time it's been since my non violent crime over twenty years ago. Also he said he wants to get their feathers ruffled to get them on it.

An attorney is supposed to follow what the client wants to do; the client should never follow what the attorney wants to do. That being said, an attorney will certainly make recommendations to the client, but ultimately, it is the client who makes the decision on how the attorney should proceed (however, the attorney may withdraw if the client is being ridiculous).

The only time an attorney should ever make a decision for the client is if the client is incapacitated or otherwise incapable of making a sound decision on his/her own... and frankly, in neither of these circumstances should the client be obtaining a FOID.

Without getting caught up in semantics, perhaps your attorney was suggesting that you sue ISP... however, if your attorney actually mentioned to you that he wants to see "feathers ruffled," it's a clear indicator that he is placing his own agenda ahead of the merits of the case.

It is possible that you have a legitimate claim against ISP and pursuing action is the prudent thing to do; however, your current attorney has already tipped his hand, and now it's virtually impossible for you to tell if he is recommending going after ISP solely because he honestly believes it's in your best interests. The last thing you want to do is engage an attorney who wants to pursue a personal vendetta against ISP or make a name for himself at your expense.

So unless he's taking the case pro bono, get a new attorney; otherwise, at least get a second opinion from another attorney who has no personal emotion for ISP.

Just keep in mind, attorneys work on billable hours. Before long people realize that they're being taken on a wild goose chase that the attorney knew would be exactly that. Meanwhile they're just racking up the billable hours on you.

I'd seek another opinion before you start paying off your attorney's mortgage.

The minute your attorney on retainer picks up the phone to talk to you, they're starting the clock billing you for their time.

Edited by DD123