Blago will be pardoned/commuted

cls74

Well this is the second time Trump has "seriously" been considering taking action. I don't know why he doesn't just do it. Maybe he has no plans on doing it and is simply running his mouth to generate outrage? Dems would get angry if he pardoned every minority in the entire federal system...because it's racist or something. All he has to do is say "I'm gonna do this" and "they're" automatically in opposition. "I'm resuming executions" = outrage. If he announced he's commuting sentences of everyone on death row, outrage because he didn't pardon them. If he pardons them, outrage because he pardoned a bunch of killers.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Well this is the second time Trump has "seriously" been considering taking action. I don't know why he doesn't just do it. Maybe he has no plans on doing it and is simply running his mouth to generate outrage? Dems would get angry if he pardoned every minority in the entire federal system...because it's racist or something. All he has to do is say "I'm gonna do this" and "they're" automatically in opposition. "I'm resuming executions" = outrage. If he announced he's commuting sentences of everyone on death row, outrage because he didn't pardon them. If he pardons them, outrage because he pardoned a bunch of killers.

I see it as a talking point to keep the Dems distracted

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So looks like Trump is backing away from commuting his sentence at the request of LaHood and Bost

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/politics/trump-blagojevich-commutation-illinois-republicans/index.html

More at link

(CNN)President Donald Trump was on the cusp of commuting former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's sentence late last week, multiple sources said. But then Republican members of Illinois' congressional delegationbegan flooding the White House with calls.

Now, Trump appears to have backed off his plans to commute Blagojevich's sentence.
Several Republican lawmakers called acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and White House counsel Pat Cipollone, the sources told CNN, and the Republican members of Illinois congressional delegation issued a joint statement opposing the move.
At least two of them, Reps. Darin LaHood and Mike Bost, made their case directly to the President on Thursday night, urging him not to go forward. They laid out the litany of crimes Blagojevich committed while in office and argued it would send the wrong message to voters about corruption by public officials.
Trump's response: "I wish I had the perspective before," according to Bost, who served on the Illinois House's impeachment committee to remove Blagojevich from office in 2009.
"Those charges were so outrageously bad," Bost said.
That same evening, LaHood -- a former federal and state prosecutor -- called Trump as well and laid out in detail the brazen charges against Blagojevich, including allegations he threatened to cancel millions in state dollars for a children's hospital if its CEO did not write him a $25,000 campaign check. Among the charges was that Blagojevich attempted to sell former President Barack Obama's Senate seat that he resigned in order to become president.
And Trump was informed on the call that Blagojevich -- whom Trump knew from his role on "Celebrity Apprentice" -- didn't offer any remorse for his crimes, sources said.
"I think this would have real ramifications," said LaHood, who also spoke with Cipollone about the matter. "We're trying to send a message that this type of public corruption is terrible for Illinois."
A White House official downplayed the idea anything had changed, insisting there is "no pumping the brakes" on Blagojevich and that Trump is still looking at a handful of possible pardons and commutations. The New York Times first reported that Trump was having second thoughts about commuting Blagojevich's sentence.
Another White House official said that while Blagojevich's pardon seemed imminent late last week, there had been no movement on the matter since Trump spoke with the two congressmen. It appeared to be on ice, the official said, while offering the caveat that Trump could change his mind and decide to move forward.

At this point, holding Blago in prison is pure punishment. It's symbolic. He's been convicted, stripped of all power, will never hold a position of power again. His name is in thesauruses as a synonym for "corrupt politician." So we're simply paying what, five, six figures to keep him locked up for another 8 years or so? Why bother? Let him out. His reputation is absolute garbage. He wouldn't be a danger to anyone if released...except the Machine since we all know how well he and Madigan get along. What Blago did is nothing compared to what Madigan has been doing and will continue to do if he isn't stopped. I'd take Blago back over Pritzker in a heartbeat. Even with the corruption. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Agree. And maybe letting him out of jail will shine another light on the current corruption w/ Madigan and all his allies. Blago was a crook, but he was just one of many, many, many in the Chicago Dem machine.

Political crimes (Elected OR appointed positions) should be 2x punishment, that's what our electorate should pass but would probably be found unconstitutional or something.

I would only support his release if his WIFE served the rest of his time, I think they both would have went if it wasn't for the kids.

b

I see it as a talking point to keep the Dems distracted

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

+1

I said it out loud that this was likely another Trump Squirrel Moment.

He prolly appointed a few more judges while the dems were chasing the squirrel with blago's picture taped to its butt.

Slightly edited for attempting to bypass the profanity filters.

Archived