Revoked FOID & Conceal and Carry

GSD_BestK9

Just received a letter from Illinois State Police that my FOID & Conceal and Carry are revoked.

I have had my FOID since 2010 & Conceal and Carry since 2015.
(I do not have any criminal records or arrests and was never admitted to mental institution)
Letter of revocation states that it is due to me not being a state resident.
I recently used my FOID card to purchase a firearm and this happened right after they ran my background check.

I do have a driver license from FL now and spend about half of my time in FL.
However I still have a residence in IL & own a commercial property in IL and have 2 businesses in IL (also have IL state ID).

Any advise what I can do to reinstate my FOID & Conceal and Carry in IL?

Thank you in advance for your help!

All states require that residents who drive get their license from the state of residence. Therefore the state from which someone has a license is the state of residence. People can be residents of only one state (and have a valid drivers license from only one state), even if they have second homes or own other property in other states.

Determining residence gets more complicated if people don't have drivers licenses, which is just another way of saying it gets easy if they do.

I think getting the FL license is likely enough on its own to get your FOID and CCL revoked under the assumption of non-residence.

It was my understanding that most states would contact the state from which you were surrendering your license when getting the new one. I would expect that notice to IL would trigger the cancel/revoke.

When I got my NC license the dmv lady warned me three times that by getting the license my Il ID and FCCL would both be canceled. Yes, she could see both in her system. I had to sign a screen stating that I understood this too.

Ok, I have a problem with this. The DMV in any state can see that you have an FCCL from Illinois. Which means any DMV in Illinois can at liberty see that you have an FCCL.

So any Joe Blow working at a DMV here in Illinois can look you up to find out if someone has a carry license.

My problem is that the databases are only accessible to law enforcement as stated in 430 ILCS 66/10 (i). If you look at the beginning of the FCCA, you will see the definition of whom the state identifies as being law enforcement and the DMV does not fall within their definition.

Anybody else here have a different take on this, please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, not sure out of state agency confirms any IL DMV staffer can get same info.

In IL I thought one had to be LEADs certified to access information but dont know if true for every LEO calling in a registration request or its a matter of a request through a certified person. Out of state LEO gets info through a group called Nlets I believe.

Technically, I dont think we have a DMV, but a Driver Services Division under the umbrella of Secretary of State. Hopefully other divisions would not have same access also if the DL facilities here have that.

I thought they changed out of state moves to a status other than revoked...like canceled or something similar. Revoked at one time on moves was reported as triggering the nasty letters to turn in disposition slips and cards or get a warrant issued for you.

Maybe in NC the DMV’s are considered a part of the law enforcement data base folks in that state?

Illinois law is in Illinois.

Possible that accessing the database through other states might be different!

Yeah, I don't see that. A civilian employee is not law enforcement. I could be wrong but I highly doubt any DMV employee in any state could be considered law enforcement.

Maybe in NC the DMV’s are considered a part of the law enforcement data base folks in that state?

Illinois law is in Illinois.

Possible that accessing the database through other states might be different!

Yeah, I don't see that. A civilian employee is not law enforcement. I could be wrong but I highly doubt any DMV employee in any state could be considered law enforcement.

Says they have 185 law enforcement agents. But I just reading about it, haven't experienced it first hand

:Created by N.C. General Assembly, the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles License & Theft Bureau employs more than 185 law enforcement agents who primarily investigate:

Archived